Educational

Author Topic: Brittons of the Community, report yourselves here.  (Read 5350 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Brittons of the Community, report yourselves here.
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »
Our $2 coin is smaller than our $1 coin. Isn't that weird?
Our 10cent coin is smaller than our 5cent coin. I guess I think it's stranger to have even a $2 coin.  :orly: There's $2 bills here, but I haven't seen one since I was a kid. My dad use to save them and bring them home to me.
Cool dad. :)

Our $1 and $2 coins have been around for years but they both used to be notes. The $1 used to be brownish and the $2 used to be greenish yellow. We have colourful money.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
The US has changed up coins quite a bit over the last 15 years, but they aren't replacing anything so the old coins are still good to use. I read the reason for the new pound coin is because 1 in 30 pound coins is fake, and by the end of the year the old pound coins will no longer be accepted as legal tender. Do you know if you have any fakes? Will the fakes be honored in the exchange for the new coins?  :orly:

One of them does seem to be fake. The detail is almost completely worn off the front and back, as if it's made of a softer metal than an authentic coin. I could probably still get away with spending it in a shop, though.

I also have a 1995 Dove of Peace £2 coin which is authentic, as far as I can tell, and differs from the standard $2 coin in that it is thicker, heavier, and only made from one type of metal. They were released to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, and I'm not sure if they're still legal tender. It smells very strongly of copper, so I doubt it's the gold version.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:46:17 AM by Grey Area »
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:02 AM »
Our $2 coin is smaller than our $1 coin. Isn't that weird?
Our 10cent coin is smaller than our 5cent coin. I guess I think it's stranger to have even a $2 coin.  :orly: There's $2 bills here, but I haven't seen one since I was a kid. My dad use to save them and bring them home to me.
Cool dad. :)

Our $1 and $2 coins have been around for years but they both used to be notes. The $1 used to be brownish and the $2 used to be greenish yellow. We have colourful money.

Our paper money is really boring looking, at first glance they all look the same.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »
The US has changed up coins quite a bit over the last 15 years, but they aren't replacing anything so the old coins are still good to use. I read the reason for the new pound coin is because 1 in 30 pound coins is fake, and by the end of the year the old pound coins will no longer be accepted as legal tender. Do you know if you have any fakes? Will the fakes be honored in the exchange for the new coins?  :orly:

One of them does seem to be fake. The detail is almost completely worn off the front and back, as if it's made of a softer metal than an authentic coin. I could probably still get away with spending it in a shop, though.

I also have a 1995 Dove of Peace £2 coin which is authentic, as far as I can tell, and differs from the standard $2 coin in that it is thicker, heavier, and only made from one type of metal. They were released to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, and I'm not sure if they're still legal tender. It smells very strongly of copper, so I doubt it's the gold version.

Will you save some of the old ones as collector pieces?  :orly:  I like the look of the new coin, it's pretty.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »
I thought fake £1 coins were more common than that. Probably about one in every twenty pennies I receive has a cent in it, or with 5p coins - a dime. I realise these aren't fake, just foreign, it's just my random observation.

Fake £1 coins I remember my sister discovered when we were kids, at the time they sounded different when dropped.

These days the last I heard, the engravings on fakes aren't as decent as genuine coins, sometimes the Queen isn't quite detailed enough and she's isn't quite in line with the design on the other side.

I sometimes keep £2 coins that have designs I haven't seen before. I think they're cool.

The new fivers are pretty, I think all paper money is pretty really. You don't need to hold the new fivers up to the light to see the "watermark". Some parts of paper money are raised, such as the bit that says, "Bank of England" in stylised writing (it's flat on the other side) and the bit below it, "I PROMISE TO PAY THE BEARER...". I've noticed the new fivers have that feature still. They're hard to fold, they're plastic and bounce back up and don't stay put. They also spring out of your pocket if you're not careful.

Also, most people probably won't notice this, but under the clock tower, where it has a hologram saying Five/Pounds depending on where you flip it, underneath in small text it says "£5". There's a £ sign to the right of the clock tower. Yeh, I notice stuff like this which bores other people to death. Oh well.  :green:
:dog:

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Will you save some of the old ones as collector pieces?

None of them are in mint condition, so there wouldn't be much point.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Will you save some of the old ones as collector pieces?

None of them are in mint condition, so there wouldn't be much point.

Yeah that makes sense.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
I thought fake £1 coins were more common than that. Probably about one in every twenty pennies I receive has a cent in it, or with 5p coins - a dime. I realise these aren't fake, just foreign, it's just my random observation.

Fake £1 coins I remember my sister discovered when we were kids, at the time they sounded different when dropped.

These days the last I heard, the engravings on fakes aren't as decent as genuine coins, sometimes the Queen isn't quite detailed enough and she's isn't quite in line with the design on the other side.

I sometimes keep £2 coins that have designs I haven't seen before. I think they're cool.

The new fivers are pretty, I think all paper money is pretty really. You don't need to hold the new fivers up to the light to see the "watermark". Some parts of paper money are raised, such as the bit that says, "Bank of England" in stylised writing (it's flat on the other side) and the bit below it, "I PROMISE TO PAY THE BEARER...". I've noticed the new fivers have that feature still. They're hard to fold, they're plastic and bounce back up and don't stay put. They also spring out of your pocket if you're not careful.

Also, most people probably won't notice this, but under the clock tower, where it has a hologram saying Five/Pounds depending on where you flip it, underneath in small text it says "£5". There's a £ sign to the right of the clock tower. Yeh, I notice stuff like this which bores other people to death. Oh well.  :green:

I think if I had some fake ones I'd definitely save them. It makes sense that years from now they'll be more rare and valuable to collectors than the real ones.  :orly:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »

I think if I had some fake ones I'd definitely save them. It makes sense that years from now they'll be more rare and valuable to collectors than the real ones.  :orly:

You mean that?
:dog:

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »

How would a collector verify the authenticity of a fake coin?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »

How would a collector verify the authenticity of a fake coin?

That's an excellent question, and sort of squashes my idea, but it makes sense that when the old coins are no longer valid then the fake ones will cease to be produced. I would think that would make them historic, since they're the reason the new coins were produced. I think I want a fake one right now.  :lol1:  I've never even heard of fake coins being so problematic that a coin has to be discontinued, but then again maybe it's common and I'm just not aware. :dunno:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
I got a fake £2 and three fake £1 on my desk at the moment.  The £1 coins are made of lead and covered in gilt which you can easily scratch off.  The £2 is proper metal but if you look close you can see its wrong.

I will of course destroy them or hand them in to the police (and not wait until the next time I go out to a busy pub and drop them on an overworked bartender).
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
I got a fake £2 and three fake £1 on my desk at the moment.  The £1 coins are made of lead and covered in gilt which you can easily scratch off.  The £2 is proper metal but if you look close you can see its wrong.

I will of course destroy them or hand them in to the police (and not wait until the next time I go out to a busy pub and drop them on an overworked bartender).

I can understand why it would be considered illegal to have them now, but would it still be illegal to have them after the old coins are rendered invalid?  :orly:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Don't hand them in to the pigs! you are FAR more likely to have the filthy bastards turn on you and use the fact of possession against you than anything else.

Take for example this-I once intercepted somebody walking down the street smashing up cars and people's gardens with a baseball bat, I was myself unarmed, but disarmed the bugger with the bat. And whilst the filth themselves admitted they KNEW that I'd disarmed the tosser in question to prevent further violence and vandalism, they got off without question, whilst I got charged and convicted for possession of offensive weapon. This is when *I* wasn't carrying, wasn't packing heat, but just disarmed some idiot going on a rampage.

DON'T TALK TO PIGS!

It is NEVER in your best interest, no matter WHAT they tell you. Do not believe anything they say because they will say anything, tell any and not unlikely, any, lies if it means they will get the easiest possible conviction to add to their numbers.

They get called 'filth' for a reason, and its a good reason at that.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
A fake pound coin that can be exchanged for £1 worth of goods or services is still worth a pound regardless of what the Bank of England says.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:17:04 AM by Grey Area »