Educational

Author Topic: A very British thread  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: A very British thread
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:14 AM »
Cross-posting from Smudge's thread, cos  this is the place for discussing it now:

Hey! I just noticed that FourAceDeal is also a Brit. The estimated total number is rising.

I wonder if Odeon might  give us a Brits sub-forum? Just  a small one. Not to excude the others , but just so we can clump together a bit, identify each other more easily, and discuss a few peculiarly British issues all in same place. Like possible meet-ups, for a start (since you raised that). The Aussies and Americans  can come in to  point and laugh if they like.  And the Swedes, ofc. (We need the Swedes to tell us what life is really like in the UK, cos we wouldn't know otherwise)

-Walkie

Do you actually need a British forum or is Pappy's shiny new thread enough?

I think it's actually needed , Odeon.  Smudge here wants some meet-ups, for a start.  Dunno if they will get off the ground, but surely more chance if arranged within  a Brit sub-forum, which Brits will actually notice. A random meet-up thread in a random general forum will not be so salient , nor so easy to keep udated  with relevant info. You know what would happen.  It would get so spammed over that nobody can figure what the heck was said or when, so they don't bortther, even if they notice it.    I've seen similar threads in other places.  Unless they're actually posted in a UK forum, or UK subforum, they just don't work . You need to herd the Brits together first.

I've also noticed a few specifically  British issues coming up on the board now and then, such as Brexit.   I mean, we would surely more topics to fill it with, besides the meet-up thing.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 04:23:09 AM »
PS, Hope you don't mind me picking up on your WP name, Smudge? (since you disclosed it)
justcurious is such a non-commital sort of name. I shouldn't think you'll be keeping that name long ,  since you're hanging around.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
A subforum for Brits is not a guarantee for stopping unrelated spam, as witnessed pretty much all over this place. Also, quite frankly, I don't think there are enough related posts to justify one.

What do others think?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
justcurious is such a non-commital sort of name. I shouldn't think you'll be keeping that name long ,  since you're hanging around.

Yes. And you're right, it was a non-commital username, I wasn't planning to stay when I signed up, I was just curious to see what this place was about.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:16:45 AM by givvassapaand »
:dog:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
I need a Dutch subforum. Just for me alone. And for Lutra, if he happens to visit and brings a nice meal.  :M
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
Not sure on the idea of a British Sub Forum, but a meetup for some of us Brits would be pretty cool.
I went to a few organised on... Ahem ... Wp, a long time ago, in London.
They were interesting, although I seemed to struggle more than any of the others there with communicating.
I seem to recall getting told off for flicking peas off the table when had lunch somewhere :LOL:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »
^ You're not that user Chicken are you?

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »
A subforum for Brits is not a guarantee for stopping unrelated spam, as witnessed pretty much all over this place. Also, quite frankly, I don't think there are enough related posts to justify one.

What do others think?

I feared that would be your response. If I might explain further:

The meet-up idea is the main thing , really.

Britain is a small enough country that if you get just a few Brits gathered together on a forum, then meet-ups are a strong possibilty, if desired.  I've taken part in such things in the past (Prolly couldn't realistically now, TBH on account of mobility issues, but that doesn't stop me thinking they're a great idea, and hoping that said good idea works out.    And -ya never know- maybe my local pub might get chosen as a venue :D.)

The difficulty is gathering those few Brits together in the first placve, introducing them to each opther, and givining them the chance to get to know each other pretty well  first.  Always desirable.

On a board like this, the Brits tend to get lost in the crowd, to the point that some people thought there were only omne or two Brits here, right? Even the Brits thought that . A British sub-forum would very much help us to recognise each other.

I know the thing would get spammed, but if yer meet-up thread gets spammed , make another one , same forum.  Re-using same thread for each meet-up doesn't work well anyway. It gets confusing (due to people almost never  reading dates properly. You know it) , So ideally you want new thread for each meet up. But if you make a second thread about UK meet up on general notice board, you know what happens don't you? The wrong one gets bumped, and the right one vanishes .

So , OK, TBH the whole thing is basically  exercise in trying to making Smudge's meet-up dreams come true.    But I got to sell it on more than that basis I suppose, so I'm trying to come up with otther uses for it :rofl:

I should think an  Aussie sub-forum, for example, would nott be in such demand, because the Aussies have to fork out loads of dosh in plane fares and hotel bills to meet, don't they?  For us, it's more like a bus or train ride 50 miles dpwn the road., back in time fior bed. More doable. And it often does get done, if you can only get us all on the same forum.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
PS, Hope you don't mind me picking up on your WP name, Smudge? (since you disclosed it)

Yes, call me smudge. And you're right, it was a non-commital username, I wasn't planning to stay when I signed up, I was just curious to see what this place was about.
It's possible to edit usernames in profile setting.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »
Wouldn't pm-ing to multiple Brits, and answering to all make it work?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »

What do others think?

I feared that would be your response. If I might explain further:

The meet-up idea is the main thing , really.

Britain is a small enough country that if you get just a few Brits gathered together on a forum, then meet-ups are a strong possibilty, if desired.  I've taken part in such things in the past (Prolly couldn't realistically now, TBH on account of mobility issues, but that doesn't stop me thinking they're a great idea, and hoping that said good idea works out.    And -ya never know- maybe my local pub might get chosen as a venue :D.)

The difficulty is gathering those few Brits together in the first placve, introducing them to each opther, and givining them the chance to get to know each other pretty well  first.  Always desirable.

On a board like this, the Brits tend to get lost in the crowd, to the point that some people thought there were only omne or two Brits here, right? Even the Brits thought that . A British sub-forum would very much help us to recognise each other.

I know the thing would get spammed, but if yer meet-up thread gets spammed , make another one , same forum.  Re-using same thread for each meet-up doesn't work well anyway. It gets confusing (due to people almost never  reading dates properly. You know it) , So ideally you want new thread for each meet up. But if you make a second thread about UK meet up on general notice board, you know what happens don't you? The wrong one gets bumped, and the right one vanishes .

So , OK, TBH the whole thing is basically  exercise in trying to making Smudge's meet-up dreams come true.    But I got to sell it on more than that basis I suppose, so I'm trying to come up with otther uses for it :rofl:

I should think an  Aussie sub-forum, for example, would nott be in such demand, because the Aussies have to fork out loads of dosh in plane fares and hotel bills to meet, don't they?  For us, it's more like a bus or train ride 50 miles dpwn the road., back in time fior bed. More doable. And it often does get done, if you can only get us all on the same forum.

If you need a new meet-up thread and there are old threads, the new one could easily be stickied by the admins. I don't think you need a subforum for that. Plus, if that really is your argument, then arrange a first meet-up and demonstrate the need.

I remain unconvinced but might consider attending the meet-up if I'm in the UK that week.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »

Not sure what you mean or who Chicken is.
I don't have any other usernames.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

Not sure what you mean or who Chicken is.
I don't have any other usernames.

Yeh...I thought about it after posting it...she wouldn't post in a place like this anyway, thank God.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »

Actually I'm hoping to avoid having to organise the thing myself, due to my limited ability to participate.   Also,  ghastly PC crashes, followed by long-ish  periods with no Pc at all,  have become suich a frequently recurring  feature of my life,  these past 2 years , I  have ceased to consider myself dependable. (There's no reason why it should happen again, but I've said that before, too many times. )

But even if I gave myself that job, I wouldn't like to pore through everybody's posts, looking  for clues as to which of the members are Brits (ssems to be the only way, ATM) , And I expect I'd miss some, that way.   And I definitely wouldn't have cheek to expect it if somebody else. So I'm looking for ways to make it easier than than that,   One might reasonably hope that most of the Brits would pop into a Brit sub-forum to say Hi. So that simplifies that task immensely. Then again , maybe we just ask Odeomn to list 'em . he should know. But would be a violation of privacy :apondering:

I dunno, but PM-ing isn't possible, without first  knowing who to PM.  And besides , some people are touchy about PMs from people that they don't count amongst their friends . So  I'd still like to find a way of making us comfy wuith each other , familiar to each other.  PMs wouldn't help there.  I've never been to a meet-up of random forum  Aspies who hadn't already formed friendships with each other on the forum, in advance. Or enmities even, but better the devil you know, hmm?

Sub-forum is the ideal solution, IMO, addressing all those factors at oncce. But if it isn't justified it isn't justified. Done my best to sell that idea already, don't want to perseverate on it.

As most people know by now, , i've religiously avoided WP, right  from it's beginning  (cos I didn't like two-by-four's arrogant , businesslike  attitude, not one bit. And I didn't like that he swiped the name of his site from Jipsy, either )     . So I don't really know how they did it on WP.    So maybe the ex- WP people can fill us in there?  No harm in borrowing  some of Plank's ideas, since he stole everybody else's (not that anybody minded one bit, not , til he tried to claim the lot as  his , all his)

err, WP rant over...

-Walkie

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:25 PM »

Actually I'm hoping to avoid having to organise the thing myself, due to my limited ability to participate.   Also,  ghastly PC crashes, followed by long-ish  periods with no Pc at all,  have become suich a frequently recurring  feature of my life,  these past 2 years , I  have ceased to consider myself dependable. (There's no reason why it should happen again, but I've said that before, too many times. )

But even if I gave myself that job, I wouldn't like to pore through everybody's posts, looking  for clues as to which of the members are Brits (ssems to be the only way, ATM) , And I expect I'd miss some, that way.   And I definitely wouldn't have cheek to expect it if somebody else. So I'm looking for ways to make it easier than than that,   One might reasonably hope that most of the Brits would pop into a Brit sub-forum to say Hi. So that simplifies that task immensely. Then again , maybe we just ask Odeomn to list 'em . he should know. But would be a violation of privacy :apondering:

I dunno, but PM-ing isn't possible, without first  knowing who to PM.  And besides , some people are touchy about PMs from people that they don't count amongst their friends . So  I'd still like to find a way of making us comfy wuith each other , familiar to each other.  PMs wouldn't help there.  I've never been to a meet-up of random forum  Aspies who hadn't already formed friendships with each other on the forum, in advance. Or enmities even, but better the devil you know, hmm?

Sub-forum is the ideal solution, IMO, addressing all those factors at oncce. But if it isn't justified it isn't justified. Done my best to sell that idea already, don't want to perseverate on it.

As most people know by now, , i've religiously avoided WP, right  from it's beginning  (cos I didn't like two-by-four's arrogant , businesslike  attitude, not one bit. And I didn't like that he swiped the name of his site from Jipsy, either )     . So I don't really know how they did it on WP.    So maybe the ex- WP people can fill us in there?  No harm in borrowing  some of Plank's ideas, since he stole everybody else's (not that anybody minded one bit, not , til he tried to claim the lot as  his , all his)

err, WP rant over...

-Walkie

If I recall correctly, it was just posted in one of the general forums...and pinned I believe?
It was some years ago, mind you. I would pop back and check but I probably wont remember my password after so long  :LOL: I found that place really boring when I last checked back. The familiar faces were gone and replaced my mostly new people do I never went back. Didn't have the energy to try and integrate with a whole new set of aspies.