Educational

Author Topic: Nice burkini ban  (Read 905 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Nice burkini ban
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 06:52:33 AM »

Gopher's probably entranced by the tangerine wang."

Who wouldn't be :green:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 07:47:02 AM »
So because they don't embrace diversity and freedom, we don't need to either? Or we can selectively exclude things we don't like or understand or agree with?
Why are you vicariously questioning/engaging Peaguy in conversation, rather than letting him back in?

I am not. I am not addressing him at all, just as I'm not addressing any other person who is not a member here.
Okay, just looked like responding to him and asking him questions about what he said.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »
IntensitySquared Burkini Topic ResponsesIntensitySquared Burkini Topic Responses
Post this in the bikini thread. I'm off for a stroll. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ljAugEs0I&feature=youtu.be

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »
So because they don't embrace diversity and freedom, we don't need to either? Or we can selectively exclude things we don't like or understand or agree with?

A totally out there concept, I know BUT maybe if any individual is coming to a host country, not being tolerant, trading the country with respect and adhering to social norms, maybe it is not up to the country to try them with respect and tolerance?

I know that your views differ--you'd rather ban some groups from entering in the first place--but the whole idea of respect and tolerance is a two-way street if you aspire to any degree of democracy, religious freedom and all that bullshit.

A fairly basic idea here (but again, it may not be where you are) is that our law enforcement should not force a woman to remove some arbitrarily selected pieces of clothing under threat of violence and fines.

What a ridiculous reply. Nothing you raised related to anything.

Firstly, yes I thinking banning radical Muslim immigrants is something every rational person wants. I also support America doing a moratorium on Muslim immigration until they can improve a flawed vetting system so that they can improve their chances of having Muslim come to America that are not radical Muslim extremists and at risk of doing them harm. Its a sensible idea.

What has that got to do with whether France decides to have a Burkini ban? Not a fucking lot.

Now do I find Burkinis offensive? Not in the slightest. Do I think we should ban them here? I don't think anyone would care too much. But that is not the point at all. It is not whether i personally have an issue with it. It is whether the French do. IF they decide for whatever reason that the Burkini is no good and there is a law against it, fine. There are a lot of laws I think are strange or extreme. Try graffiting in Singapore. You get the rattan. Having a joint in Netherlands is fine and in Thailand a year in jail if caught. Women NOT covering up and wearing a hijab in Saudi Arabia is punishable and in France women wearing a Burkini is punishable. Different laws for different places. Different standards and different expectations. I think that is fine. If you go to another country, they are going to have different laws and cultures and expectations, YOU have to fit in with them NOT they to you. I do not begrudge them having their own laws and enforcing said laws.

But I DO think it is stupid that people feel like it is wrong for the French to enforce their rules and laws. Like when that American kid got caught doing graffiti in Singapore and the American government threatened Singapore when Singapore said they were going to use the rattan on him. It was barbaric and the kid was a poor thing and too young and everything else. Nope they gave him the rattan and sent him back home. I say fair enough. It was their law, he infringed on their law. If Western Women go to Saudi Arabia and decide that the hijab is not for them and decide to buck the law and take it off and then get punished for it, too bad, they broke the law. If people in France decide to break the law too bad. It is hypocritical for someone who is from a culture that has cultural restrictions on clothing to then find themselves objecting to a different culture placing different values on clothing.

So well done Odeon, you made precisely no point, again.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

A totally out there concept, I know BUT maybe if any individual is coming to a host country, not being tolerant, trading the country with respect and adhering to social norms, maybe it is not up to the country to try them with respect and tolerance?

I know that your views differ--you'd rather ban some groups from entering in the first place--but the whole idea of respect and tolerance is a two-way street if you aspire to any degree of democracy, religious freedom and all that bullshit.

A fairly basic idea here (but again, it may not be where you are) is that our law enforcement should not force a woman to remove some arbitrarily selected pieces of clothing under threat of violence and fines.

Bla bla blah bla

I knew you wouldn't understand.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »

Bla bla blah bla

Right back at you. If France wants to adopt ridiculous laws that's fine. If you are living or visiting you ought to obey them. If you do the wrong thing the enforcement of laws will punish you. It is a pretty simple metric.

I find it hypocritical to those that have hijabs and burkhas forced into their cultural laws to restrict how a woman can dress to find a different culture being restrictive on how a woman can dress. I don't see what the outrage is about.

Again what this has to do with immigration bans, tight border security or anything else is anyone's guess? You probably did not even know.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
"Butters, you would avoid because you like your gingers with axe wounds.

Incidentally, have you broken out of your shell and been a bit of a player with the continental women these days? You seem different compared to my interactions with you in 2011."
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 03:04:01 AM »

Bla bla blah bla

Right back at you. If France wants to adopt ridiculous laws that's fine. If you are living or visiting you ought to obey them. If you do the wrong thing the enforcement of laws will punish you. It is a pretty simple metric.

I find it hypocritical to those that have hijabs and burkhas forced into their cultural laws to restrict how a woman can dress to find a different culture being restrictive on how a woman can dress. I don't see what the outrage is about.

Again what this has to do with immigration bans, tight border security or anything else is anyone's guess? You probably did not even know.

You're pissed off at me so you force yourself into a stance you have trouble defending. This is not about forcing anything into anyone's cultural laws, it's simply about a continued right to wear whatever clothing you want. It's something that a higher French court seems to recognise, though, even if you don't.

Oh, and based on the above, I assume that you will silently accept any new legislation in your country, no matter how stupid it is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2016, 03:30:42 AM »

Bla bla blah bla

You're pissed off at me so you force yourself into a stance you have trouble defending. This is not about forcing anything into anyone's cultural laws, it's simply about a continued right to wear whatever clothing you want. It's something that a higher French court seems to recognise, though, even if you don't.

Oh, and based on the above, I assume that you will silently accept any new legislation in your country, no matter how stupid it is.

I am a citizen of Australia,  therefore I have to follow laws in my own country even if I do not like them. However as it is my country I am happy to join in with petitions of laws to try and affect change, during that time I will not break the law.

If I go to other countries as a visitor I am very aware different rules apply and different standard of punishment. I accept this without arguing the point as to whether the laws are more unfair or different or bad. I expect they will be different.

Now what position you imagine I can't defend, I don't know. Again, I don't think you know yourself. What I believe has happened is that you have thought I believed or suggested something I didn't and now my answers to what I do actually think don't follow this bogus narrative you created.

That would probably be my best reading. Hard to know given your propensity to make random and seemingly unconnected suggestions and claims. Ones that YOU do not defend nor explain when I question them.

I have no issue in sharing my actual beliefs or thoughts. It's damn easy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:32:06 AM by Al Swearengen »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2016, 03:36:11 AM »
Yeah, right. That's exactly the kind of person you are.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 04:03:05 AM »
Yeah, right. That's exactly the kind of person you are.

Very easy to say what I think. I am very opinionated. You can presume my views on whatever you like but if you want to know or ask questions my view on things I will tell you. If you talk about what,how, why I think what I think, I will correct you about 100% of the time

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Basically you are full of shit, end of, and the picture you like to paint of yourself is a hypocritical lie. But sure, whatever floats your boat and all that.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 07:08:24 AM »
Basically you are full of shit, end of, and the picture you like to paint of yourself is a hypocritical lie. But sure, whatever floats your boat and all that.

Care to back that? What exactly in what I said is hypocritical? Looks to me like projection. Finding faults in me that you cannot back. Faults you can't actually explain. It's projection or faulty reasoning

You are full of shit, Open.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »

Care to back that? What exactly in what I said is hypocritical? Looks to me like projection. Finding faults in me that you cannot back. Faults you can't actually explain. It's projection or faulty reasoning

No, I am not interested in quoting your posts back at you. You wouldn't accept any of it anyway since you are incapable of introspection. It's always someone else's fault.

Me, I can readily admit when I'm wrong. For example, I was wrong about you and DFG--I now think that you did tiptoe around her.

Go hide under that bridge. Miserable troll.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:54 PM »

No, I am not interested in quoting your posts back at you. You wouldn't accept any of it anyway since you are incapable of introspection. It's always someone else's fault.

Me, I can readily admit when I'm wrong. For example, I was wrong about you and DFG--I now think that you did tiptoe around her.

Go hide under that bridge. Miserable troll.

I think I was right. All projection.
You are unable to back yourself. Posting my words back at me does not make a case or back a claim. I know what I said because I said it.
Now if you have misread what I said or misinterpreted intent, because you were pissed off with me and wanted to view everything through a hateful and nasty filter, then that is COMPLETELY on you.
Trolling your own board Odeon?