Educational

Author Topic: Silly mistakes  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Silly mistakes
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 04:59:20 AM »
I would live in it, do a bit of converting. Everyone is wanting one of those city apartments and that building is empty. It seems a waste.

Like putting in the missing floor then I'd go for it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
So much for symmetry :laugh:   You think someone would have said something

Seeing that every day would drive me crazy.

I wonder if they were more interested in centering the window to some landmarks on the inside on the building.  If so, they made the wrong choice.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
So much for symmetry :laugh:   You think someone would have said something

Seeing that every day would drive me crazy.

I wonder if they were more interested in centering the window to some landmarks on the inside on the building.  If so, they made the wrong choice.

The side windows are not at the same distance from the middle structure either. The left one is a bit farther from the centre.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
The side windows are not at the same distance from the middle structure either. The left one is a bit farther from the centre.
Noticed that too but without seeing the entire roofline it's hard to tell if that equals asymmetry. If the gable isn't located in the center of the house, then the windows might still be symmetrical to their respective section of roofline.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:09 AM »
Noticed that too but without seeing the entire roofline it's hard to tell if that equals asymmetry. If the gable isn't located in the center of the house, then the windows might still be symmetrical to their respective section of roofline.

You're right, didn't think of that.
Not that many houses with gables here.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
 :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »
  There's a house in my brother's neighborhood that similarly bugs me with its illogical asymmetry.
  There are big pillars in front of the house, to make it look grand  :P , and you'd expect the front door
  to be centered between the two middle pillars ... but it isn't.  Which means that when the owner
  of the house weaves up the front walk after a long night of carousing, he may think he can
  find his front door by aiming himself between the two central pillars ... but the joke's on him.
  Poor sot.  He'll be trying to unlock the siding.  :rofl:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
I went away for a few days for New Years, but had, had a virus since Boxing Day.  I took travel sickness pills for the journey, and all kind of drugs to help with the virus, plus the meds i'm on.  I had a glass of wine with dinner and half a dozen beers or so.  After being in the taxi for about 5 minutes I threw up, the driver chucked me out.  I stumbled into someone's garden somehow, still throwing up and fell into a pond then ended up in hospital.   :facepalm2:
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »
I went away for a few days for New Years, but had, had a virus since Boxing Day.  I took travel sickness pills for the journey, and all kind of drugs to help with the virus, plus the meds i'm on.  I had a glass of wine with dinner and half a dozen beers or so.  After being in the taxi for about 5 minutes I threw up, the driver chucked me out.  I stumbled into someone's garden somehow, still throwing up and fell into a pond then ended up in hospital.   :facepalm2:

Remind me not to hire  you as a travel agent.

Hope you're better by now.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »

Was that why you were away for so long?

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »

Remind me not to hire  you as a travel agent.

Hope you're better by now.

Lol!  Thanks.  Shivering and waiting for an ambulance for 2 hours kind of set me back.  I'm good now thanks.  Travel sickness has no correlation with Autism then?
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »

Was that why you were away for so long?

Ha, naw.  I just post now and again here and just check on how things are going from time to time.  I feel like if i'm on here a lot, then i'm simply wasting too much time online.  I don't mean that to sound rude, it's just, I can't believe how quick time is going by, it's really sad.  This last week went by in a flash. 

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 02:00:26 AM »

Your misfortune made me chuckle.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:07 PM »

Your misfortune made me chuckle.  :laugh:

:P  Yeah, it's one of those things that is funny now, but wasn't at the time  :zombiefuck:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2016, 04:06:59 AM »
Yesterday (or was it the day before, I forgot) due to my utter crap memory, I accidentally left the top off a bottle of fuming hydrochloric acid.

Only realized it some time later when the room started stinking.

And another one, a bit of a close shave actually:

I'd rigged up a hydrogen chloride gas (hydrochloric acid, in dry gaseous form) generator, and used it. It did not seem to be outputting much gas, so I thought hey, right, the chemicals inside must be spent, used up, done with, gasser finished. Hadn't used the aluminium foil&concentrated hydrochloric acid mixture for generating HCl gas before, but as it happened I currently have run out of concentrated sulfuric acid (I usually, for that purpose, fill a bottle with a cap modified to fit a length of rubber tubing, to direct the gas when it evolves. That way I don't have to clean my actual lab glassware, because it wasn't used, laziness pure and simple but it works just fine, quick and reliable and easy to control the rate of gas evolution, fill it with table salt, then add some strong sulfuric acid to the bottle contents, cap it, and then put the tube for the gas to exit from wherever I want the gas to be going)

So, gas generator with alternative mix 'spent', I took a nap, waiting for some solvents to cool down. Slept for a good few hours and then when I woke up, had a few slugs from my bottle of coke to wet my dry throat and mouth. Went for a cigarette in the kitchen, finished it, and began to don the gloves and goggles to go get back to work.

All of a sudden, the damn HCl generator bottle started to react fast and violent as hell, with an absolute torrent of hydrogen chloride fumes spewing out of the end of the hose, which was thrashing and lashing around like a whip being cracked, spraying corrosive, irritating, acidic gas, vapors, and the bottle was getting so damn hot that the HCl(aq) inside it was turning to a jet of steam, spraying boiling hot vaporised hydrochloric acid everywhere, whilst the bottle was becoming so hot it was very, very difficult and pretty painful to touch, the alarming thing was that it had started to swell, as though the overpressure was imminently going to make it suddenly rupture in a blast of boiling hot acid.

My old man, unfortunately had gone out fishing whilst I was asleep, and he'd locked the back door, I have a key but no WAY had I got time to go and grab it and come back, without risking the thing going off in my face. It was damned well close enough to that already. I grabbed the searing hot bottle full of boiling, bubbling acid, hose spraying acidic mist, HCl(g), and concentrated hydrochloric acid turned to steam EVERYWHERE, lashing about like a worm in a crow's beak (the hose, that is), and yet more acid, coming up in a searing hot jet out of the bottlecap too, overpressure building up fit to rupture the bottle any moment. Tried to ditch it outside, out the door. Couldn't, locked.

So I had to grab it, climb up onto the kitchen counter-top, shove the window open, toss this soon-to-be-boiling-acid grenade out of the window, and dive for cover, slamming the window closed on the way down.

Damned lucky I woke up just in time, the thing went from sedate and appearing inert to berserkirgang in about two or three seconds at most, right as I returned to the work being done. Damn good thing I DID go in there again to finish some workup duty.

All the same, even with the kitchen extractor fan on and windows closed (would have opened them to let air in for the fan but in this case, due to what was at that time, sitting just under the windowsill on the outside, spewing corrosive, searing hot fumes and spray, I wasn't about to do anything of the sort :poo:) it was still nasty as hell in the kitchen, my workups had to do for later, when the hydrogen chloride fog had dissipated and the atmosphere once more safely breathable, absolutely stank, and my god, stung the eyes just to stand near the door separating the kitchen from the lounge.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.