Educational

Author Topic: Did you hear about another furniture related attack in Paris?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Did you hear about another furniture related attack in Paris?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
Terrorists can't be pigeonholed into a particular demographic; Islamic terrorists are not so different than white Christian terrorists, religious terrorism not so different than political. People just like to think they can know who the monsters are, but they can't.

I don't entirely agree nor disagree.

The thing is Terrorists and Extremists are monsters. Their hateful rhetoric and poisonous ideology is easy to find similarities in if you substitute the recipient of their actions and hate speech it sounds just as awful and militant.

The problem is that treating all terrorism and terrorist threats with equal weight and equal attention is counter productive.

There was a time that Christmas Right Extremists were probably really bad. The Klu Klux Klan (the militant arm of the Democratic party back in the day) used to lynch and shoot black people. They don't now, for all their nasty hateful speech and racist pandering.  These days they are no better or worse than the Black Lives Matter crowd.

The threats today are the Radical Muslim extremists. There are other real threats like AntiFa and New Black Panther party, but these threats are not yet to the extent, nor have the reach of Radical Muslim extremism.

In the future maybe these threats will fade away and the KKK will rise again, or Skinhead thuggery, or any other terrorist or hate group. At the moment, dispersing equal opposition and attention is probably unwarranted.. Radical Muslim extremism is the main  threat.
Not talking about the klan; the US has only had a couple of racially motivated acts classified as terrorism over the past twenty years. Modern day christian terrorist acts in the US are as frequent as islamic. Sometimes purposely leave myself open to valid contradiction to see what people might say. There is a difference between Islamic terrorism and other types of terrorism, and it's not that it's the main threat; it's because it's the threat which gets the most public attention, and rightly so. The big difference between islamic terrorists and any other type of terrorist, is that terrorists generally attacks what/who they stand against and Islamic terrorist stand against western culture so target the general public. It's a different type of public concern than other terrorism, because the average person in the general public doesn't really see themselves as a potential target for other types of terrorism. Not really even sure how many people in the US would see themselves as a potential target of Islamic extremism on domestic soil. Though to be fair, North America has seen less than one percent of the number of terrorism incidents as Eastern Europe since 2014, so the perspective is likely different there.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
Oh, and found this great website. https://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/ 

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
What about mentally ill young men like the guy who shot up the movie theater and the ones in high schools?
The world isn't ready to face religion as a mental illness.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »
They are not "radical Muslims".  They are drunken/drugged up angry losers.  Some of these have been found to run night clubs and buying "The Koran For Dummies". 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
What about mentally ill young men like the guy who shot up the movie theater and the ones in high schools?

If I were IS, I'd claim all attacks like that. Anything to spread fear everywhere.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »
People just like to think they can know who the monsters are, but they can't.

Exactly.

yes.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 04:45:44 AM »
Terrorists can't be pigeonholed into a particular demographic; Islamic terrorists are not so different than white Christian terrorists, religious terrorism not so different than political. People just like to think they can know who the monsters are, but they can't.

QFT
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
They are not "radical Muslims".  They are drunken/drugged up angry losers.  Some of these have been found to run night clubs and buying "The Koran For Dummies".

This, actually, I find myself agreeing with. Considering many of the last few attacks, I'd bet this to be a better description of the perpetrators than the one IS is so quick to attribute to them ("our soldiers", etc).

Worryingly, it makes them very hard to find in time for any intelligence organisation.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »

If I were IS, I'd claim all attacks like that. Anything to spread fear everywhere.

Which they are doing, to the extent possible.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 05:04:02 AM »
(a lot of drivel deleted)

Sorry, but you failed to deliver your point (assuming you had one). Again. Two top tips for your next post:

- Less is more.
- Similes and hypotheticals are not your thing. Avoid them like the plague.

Oh, and it would help if your rationalisations included some degree of logic to begin with.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:14 AM »
(a lot of drivel deleted)

Sorry, but you failed to deliver your point (assuming you had one). Again. Two top tips for your next post:

- Less is more.
- Similes and hypotheticals are not your thing. Avoid them like the plague.

Oh, and it would help if your rationalisations included some degree of logic to begin with.

You know what I would do if I were you? If I was confronted with clear examples of being caught attempting multiple bait and switches and lying, I would feign not having read what was said too. In fact I would say it was too long, uninteresting and had no logic. I would try to be as patronising as possible in doing so.

That is if I were you - the type of person given over to lying and dishonesty. If I was me I would be embarrassed try a more honest approach.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 05:44:51 AM »
See my reply in the other thread.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 06:06:33 AM »
See my reply in the other thread.

Saw it and unimpressed. At least you weren't lying, so that was something I guess.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »

This, actually, I find myself agreeing with. Considering many of the last few attacks, I'd bet this to be a better description of the perpetrators than the one IS is so quick to attribute to them ("our soldiers", etc).

Worryingly, it makes them very hard to find in time for any intelligence organisation.

Yeah, they could just be lone maniacs that have been inspired by other attacks.  But then the media make out it's all 'IS'.
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:38 AM »
Yup. And they actively look for that angle.

It's a bit like what Trump does in his speeches, he plays on people's fears.

- Albert Einstein