Author Topic: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.  (Read 27750 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.
« Reply #675 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:28 AM »
The low-wage EU citizens in the UK handled jobs the Brits wouldn't. Now that there is a shortage of them, Prince Charles has been encouraging furloughed Brits to do their share.

I always figured that was bollocks, the idea that the working class is too lazy or too proud to do certain jobs. Such claims by employers and right wing politicians need to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Look at the agenda they are trying to push, and why.

People make the same sort of claims here in Australia. The reality is that Australians don't get hired for those jobs because they expect to be paid a proper wage and have reasonable conditions. Whereas foreign workers can be underpaid, pushed to do unpaid overtime, and they don't have the option to complain. Of course employers won't say "I don't want to hire Aussies because I'd have to pay them properly, I want to hire immigrants so I can exploit them and underpay them". So employers claim that Aussies don't want to do the jobs, and it's a claim that is difficult to prove or disprove.

Even in IT the same thing happens, we have huge numbers of IT workers unemployed in Australia or driving taxis or working as Uber drivers. The last company I worked for, they would put a new job ad up and within 24 hours they'd have 200 applications. But employers still claim that there is a skill shortage and they need to hire foreigners or bring in workers on temporary visas from the development centre in Bangalore (or some other foreign city). The skill shortage claims are pure bullshit. Most similar claims by employers in every industry are also bullshit.

The reason you never see an Aussie working in a Thai or Chinese restaurant in Sydney, or cleaning offices at night time, is because there are plenty of illegal immigrants and "students" who will do the job for $10 an hour or less (minimum wage is about $24 an hour for a casual worker). Of course you can pay an Aussie $10 an hour, but 6 months later he or she can take you to court and you'll have to provide a pile of backpay at the minimum wage and you will be up for costs and fines as well.

Actually there's plenty of evidence to the contrary in this case.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #676 on: June 02, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
I hit Post a bit too soon. Here's The Guardian describing farm worker shortages: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

Mind, this is before the virus. I expect the situation to be worse now.

And it's not that I support the low-wage model in any way. It's just something that's fairly well known and discussed the last several years.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #677 on: June 02, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
I admit I'm coming to it as an outsider, but that Guardian article has one anecdote from one farmer who offered "higher bonuses for good pickers and accommodations with free wifi" and was still unable to recruit enough workers. There's nothing about farmers systemically offering living wages and minimal overtime, or the conditions MOSW is saying local workers expect.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #678 on: June 02, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »
The low-wage EU citizens in the UK handled jobs the Brits wouldn't. Now that there is a shortage of them, Prince Charles has been encouraging furloughed Brits to do their share.

I always figured that was bollocks, the idea that the working class is too lazy or too proud to do certain jobs. Such claims by employers and right wing politicians need to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Look at the agenda they are trying to push, and why.

People make the same sort of claims here in Australia. The reality is that Australians don't get hired for those jobs because they expect to be paid a proper wage and have reasonable conditions. Whereas foreign workers can be underpaid, pushed to do unpaid overtime, and they don't have the option to complain. Of course employers won't say "I don't want to hire Aussies because I'd have to pay them properly, I want to hire immigrants so I can exploit them and underpay them". So employers claim that Aussies don't want to do the jobs, and it's a claim that is difficult to prove or disprove.

Even in IT the same thing happens, we have huge numbers of IT workers unemployed in Australia or driving taxis or working as Uber drivers. The last company I worked for, they would put a new job ad up and within 24 hours they'd have 200 applications. But employers still claim that there is a skill shortage and they need to hire foreigners or bring in workers on temporary visas from the development centre in Bangalore (or some other foreign city). The skill shortage claims are pure bullshit. Most similar claims by employers in every industry are also bullshit.

The reason you never see an Aussie working in a Thai or Chinese restaurant in Sydney, or cleaning offices at night time, is because there are plenty of illegal immigrants and "students" who will do the job for $10 an hour or less (minimum wage is about $24 an hour for a casual worker). Of course you can pay an Aussie $10 an hour, but 6 months later he or she can take you to court and you'll have to provide a pile of backpay at the minimum wage and you will be up for costs and fines as well.

Well said, Mo! You're quite right.

I have actually worked at some of those jobs that Brits are " too lazy to do"' (eg potato picking and  warehouse work) so has my son, plus an increasing number of other people that I know (as more and more people are made redundant from their proper jobs) . Have to say that casual work and  zero-hour contracts are the killer here. If it's  hard to live on minmum wage, it's downright impossible to live on randomly varying hours (most often much less than " full time") at that exact same low hourly rate  but that's what many, many people are forced to try to do.

Our minimumum wage seems to considerably lower than the Aussie minimum wage (currently 8.70 GBP per hour) but then it might be that the cost of living is higher in Oz?  Or it might be that we;ve slid even further downhill than you guys. Certtainly, its pretty rare for Brits to take former employers to court, we;ve been too thoroughly beaten down; and ruthless exploitation has become the norm. 

The idea that the immigrants are-  or should be- grateful for the chance to share our "privelged lifestyle""  is ludicrous.   I've found that immigrant workmates last no longer, in any given  workplace  than the rest of us, because they equally find that they can't earn enough to pay their rent. And also they tend to  become a lot more angry at being worked like slaves and treated like dirt than the native Brits do.  So rage-quitting by recent  immigrants  is common.   That's because that's not what they're used to and not what they expect from Britain.  People tend to forget that a lot of these immigrants are middle-class folk who once had comfortable lifesyles and expected at least the same in Britain.  Also,  even quite a number the poor ones that i've worked beside have  told me that they could be poor with a lot more dignity back home (eg in the Middle East or Africa)

Once -upon-a-time,  Brits could always quit and live on  unemployment benefits if they found wages and working conitions unacceptable. But that no longer works as a get -out. You'll be made to jump through so many hoops to prove that you're willing to work ( up to including participating in workfare schemes)  that "looking for work"becomes a full-time job; a very depressing and unrewarding full-time job that only pays a mere fraction of minimum wage (unless you have a number of dependants) and which  gets withdrawn at the drop of a hat, often for no good reason, or no reason at all .     Frankly, I know a number of currently  unemployed people, but I don't know anyone  who'd claim unemployment benefits (or "jobseeker's Allowance "as the call it now) , not if they've  tried that  once before (in the past decade or so) .  Instead, they build up debt , if they can, or  lean on family for support,  or work for a pittance in the Black economy and if all else fails, slide onto the street.  All of this would have a dramatic effect on the unemployment stats (that is, masking the true scale of the problem)  as well as fuelling  an  ever-downward spiral in pay and working conditions.

Almost nobody, irrespective of country of origin, lasts long in some jobs such as Deliveroo (who get round minimim wage requirements by making it "piece work"essentially) or  Agency care work (because the agencies only pay for time spent working, not time spent travelling, and  the latter often takes up the majority of the worker's time) or...well, virtually all of the unskilled labouring jobs, But they can go on and on exploiting people, because there are always more workers who are willing to give it a whirl, an endless supply of them indeed. 

As for farm work, that's seasonal,  isn't it?  so it couldn't possibly serve as a family's main source of income. What's more,  the farmers have ways of getting out of paying minimum wage (the old "piece work" trick. Plus they usually pay cash . ) Back in the eighties, they were picking truckloads of  (mostly) redundant factory workers , who were desperate to supplement their meagre dole, from pick-up points in nearby cities, to help with the harvest.  Then the DWP started sending investigators into the fields to catch and prosecute these "benefits frauds".  The government showd no interst in prosecuting the farmers , of course.  I don't know how the farmers have managed since then, because in my experience , its no use declaring the pittance you get, not if you're on benefits, because you only get to keep a fiver per week of your earnings, and you get your dole money stopped for several weeks whilst they re-calculate it, which is, of course disastrous  for anyone who's living hand-to -mouth ( I actually tried doing it the honest way, dumb autie that i am) .  What's more,  if you're working  really hard in the fields, that fiver is easily swallowed up by the extra food you'll consume, so net gain for the worker is zero.   

So, yeah, since that Government crackdown,  no half-way sensible unemployed British person will take on farm work. We all became too lazy all of a sudden  :LOL: .  And the Government have cracked down ever-harder on benefits claimaints, since then . i don't know how the farmers are coping since, but i've read reports to the effect that Southern farmers (or some of them at least) are pulling in young migrants who have family homes to go back to , putting them up in purpose built dormitories and actually  paying them decent wages. That reminds me of when British students would swarm over to France, during the summer holidays to work in the vineyards (I don't know if that still happens?) .  And yeah, that would work. Of course that would work. And I don't recall anybody saying that was necessary because the French were too lazy to work their own vineyards.

Ofc , I've no personal experience (of every corner of Industry, but it's not difficult to guess that similar stories apply to  just about everyrthing.

I've had nothing to say about EU migrants, above, because , in my own experience, EU migrants -especially Poles.  tend to have some kind of big advantage over native brits, immigrants from outside the EU,  everybody else.  I'm not at all sure I understand how that works, maybe a number of social and economic factors come into play, but it's definitely not because Poles work harder. They're hiuman beings , same as everybody else, with the same range of human character traits. Some of them are lazy as fuck, but they get away with it.  I've seen the lazy ones get offerered promotions and other plum jobs, in preference to other, more suitable, canditates just the same as the hardworking Poles. Also., they tend to get offered those rare and precious  permanent, full-time jobs that almost nobody else can get.  It's just as if they're an elite class, like the British Raj in India. As a consequence, many  of our black and asian  immigrants really  hate the Poles,  more than their white British counterparts do .  It doesn't help  that  most  of those immigrants are multi-lingual,  proud of speaking perfect English , and expect to gain an advantage by that. To then be passed over, in favour of a Pole who can't speak English at all (as has happened in some cases ) is especially galling for them.

I should add, iI certainly don't hate the Poles. I hate the system that creates such inequalities,   that blames  the poor for the mess they're in, and that continues to pull more and more people into this sinking boat. A small country of 70 million?  It was a small country of 60 million just five minutes ago and already badly overpopulated. Even the Tories have startied to think that we have more workers  here than they can use .  But it's not merely a case of not enough work to go round ; we don't (and can't) grow enough near  food to go round , and are highly dependant on imprts . In the event of war , or some other crisis, disrupting food supplies, then we shan't be getting leaner and actually healthier'on our meagre rations  like we did during World War II (when the UK poulation was less than 50 million, and we had more farmland)  we'll be starving 'to death in droves.  I feel it's pretty mad to live here already , given that likelihood hanging over us. '(But then,  I also feel that it's mad to live on the slopes of an active volcano, or on top the San Andreas fault line, and note that doesnt deter people)

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #679 on: June 02, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »
PS, I wrote all that before Odeon's latest post. And well, well, well, turns it's all about that old  "Brits are too lazy to do farmwork" chestnut. Fancy that!  :LOL: and the problem very much  centres round those dormitory-building Southern farmers...who , basically, need to build dormitorities nowadays.  because near;y all the working -class folk who used to do the farmwork down south have been pushed up north by rising housing costs. The peasants are gone, and the villages are exceedingly sleepy, with many of the cottages serving as second homes for wealthy Londoners.

Well if they can't get enough furloughed workers with this offer
People can take on farm work while still receiving 80% of their salaries through the government’s furlough scheme.
they could surely get loads of "jobseekers"coming forwards on a similar terms : That is they could  keep their benefits, including (most importantly) housing benefit, not the usual "We'll strip you of all but a fiver" deal.

it wou;dn't even be very costly to keep paying the benefit.  We're talking  £58.90 per week  JSA  for under-25's , and not an awful lot more for the older folk.  Much less than your average  fuloughed worker gets.  Its not even that they'd miss it very much, if the government snatched it away. But  once peope have qualified for benefits ,  they're scared to let it go for what is bound to be  temporary work. It's too gruelling having to wait for weeks on end to get the benefits back on tap. And loss of housing benefit could too easily mean homelessness ofc.

It's a shame that they don't get a fair chance to challenge the assumption that the jobless are  out of work because they don't want to work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:02:59 PM by Walkie »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #680 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
Thanks Walkie, great responses, all so true.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #681 on: June 02, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »
I know Odeon is decent and progressive, not some neoliberal stooge. But there is a lot of misinformation out there.

It's not the fault of the farmers either. The buyers, the big wholesalers and retailers, of their produce screw the price down to a point where it is impossible to hire and train local workers on a decent wage.

The status quo is shit. You can't expect Brits to vote for the status quo. Brexit was voted for because it was a vote against the status quo.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #682 on: June 02, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
Here's The Guardian describing farm worker shortages: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

We get similar articles in the Australia mainstream media. Invariably written from the perspective of the producers and hirers, because they are the ones who hire the lobby groups to push their agenda. Who can hire someone to effectively write the articles and stories for the media.

I was a bit disappointed that there are no comments. On similar articles in Australia you get the REAL story from reading the comments. From unemployed people who heard about the farm work available and got on a bus or hitched a ride to where the work supposedly was. The claims that there is good work available that Aussies don't want almost invariably turn out to be bullshit, and these are people living precarious lives who can barely afford to eat and have a roof over their heads. Getting on a bus and travelling 1,000 km or whatever to some work that may or may not be there for a couple of weeks is not a fucking great option.

Why would a working class Brit vote for a status quo that continues to fuck them over and dishonestly portray them as lazy and useless?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #684 on: June 02, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
Here's The Guardian describing farm worker shortages: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

We get similar articles in the Australia mainstream media. Invariably written from the perspective of the producers and hirers, because they are the ones who hire the lobby groups to push their agenda. Who can hire someone to effectively write the articles and stories for the media.

I was a bit disappointed that there are no comments. On similar articles in Australia you get the REAL story from reading the comments. From unemployed people who heard about the farm work available and got on a bus or hitched a ride to where the work supposedly was. The claims that there is good work available that Aussies don't want almost invariably turn out to be bullshit, and these are people living precarious lives who can barely afford to eat and have a roof over their heads. Getting on a bus and travelling 1,000 km or whatever to some work that may or may not be there for a couple of weeks is not a fucking great option.

Why would a working class Brit vote for a status quo that continues to fuck them over and dishonestly portray them as lazy and useless?

FFS , Mo, you're gonna make me look like secretary of MOSW Fanclub, cos I keep wanting to plus almost all your recent posts. Well, I'm gonna wait and and see if it'll let me give you another one for this, nonetheless.

It's just so nice when somebody gets it.  :)

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #685 on: June 02, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »
Hospitality is a field where claims are often made that Australians won't take the jobs because they are too lazy yada yada yada. No actual evidence is presented other than employers making claims and lobbying for special privileges to hire 19-year-old German backpacker girls with big tits. Because, you know, Australians don't want to work, they'd rather sit at home and live in dire poverty and be stigmatised.

It's pure bullshit.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #686 on: June 03, 2020, 12:25:45 AM »
I don't think it's only the UK, either. I believe our minimum wage is higher than the UK's but a lot of the farm jobs around here are frowned upon and left to low-wage EU seasonal migrants.

Most years there's a black market, too, and the government is not doing enough.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #687 on: June 03, 2020, 01:12:44 AM »
Odeon, what do you mean by "farm jobs around here are frowned upon"? Do you know anyone who has tried to make a living out of doing casual low-skilled farm work? How did it go for them? Or are you basing that off spurious claims by the farming industry and articles in the media that only tell one side of the story?

Sweden doesn't have a standard minimum wage, it is more industry specific. I don't know a lot of specifics, but I understand that workers' rights are generally pretty good in the Nordic countries.

When I was in the UK 20 odd years ago the cost of living was ridiculously high compared to Australia and the minimum wage was lower. I remember going into an off-licence in Southend (Essex) to buy some beer one night, there was a young English lady and a 30-ish year old English chap (of Indian descent) working there. They heard my accent and they started asking me stuff, they were really friendly. The bloke told me that he had some friends living in Australia and they told him that at the end of the week they always had some money leftover after they paid for food and rent and other essentials.... I said "yeah, everything is so expensive here in England, I can't figure out how people here can survive on 300 or 400 quid a week". And they kind of stopped being friendly very abruptly, it seemed really weird. Then as I was walking home I realized that 300 or 400 quid a week was probably twice as much as they were making.

These days I hear that the cost of living, especially here in Sydney, is a lot higher than most of the UK.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #688 on: June 03, 2020, 02:26:39 AM »
Odeon, what do you mean by "farm jobs around here are frowned upon"? Do you know anyone who has tried to make a living out of doing casual low-skilled farm work? How did it go for them? Or are you basing that off spurious claims by the farming industry and articles in the media that only tell one side of the story?

In the past I've known people who tried to make a living out of the seasonal jobs and pretty much failed, yes, but also, there's a lot of talk in the media when that season arrives, every year. As far as I can determine, it's not one-sided. There's been articles and letters to the editor, plus I used to work for the Swedish Federation of Farmers as a consultant and picked up info while there.

So I'd say not spurious claims but a fair description of the state of affairs.

Sweden doesn't have a standard minimum wage, it is more industry specific. I don't know a lot of specifics, but I understand that workers' rights are generally pretty good in the Nordic countries.

You're right - the unions have negotiated minimum wages for their members. My bad. It's one of the reasons why the low-wage EU migrants handle many of those jobs, because they tend not to be members of any unions.

I know that unions have tried to stop the practice, but the workers rights in this sector are a grey area.

When I was in the UK 20 odd years ago the cost of living was ridiculously high compared to Australia and the minimum wage was lower. I remember going into an off-licence in Southend (Essex) to buy some beer one night, there was a young English lady and a 30-ish year old English chap (of Indian descent) working there. They heard my accent and they started asking me stuff, they were really friendly. The bloke told me that he had some friends living in Australia and they told him that at the end of the week they always had some money leftover after they paid for food and rent and other essentials.... I said "yeah, everything is so expensive here in England, I can't figure out how people here can survive on 300 or 400 quid a week". And they kind of stopped being friendly very abruptly, it seemed really weird. Then as I was walking home I realized that 300 or 400 quid a week was probably twice as much as they were making.

These days I hear that the cost of living, especially here in Sydney, is a lot higher than most of the UK.

The cost of living varies a lot around here. In the north, it's a lot cheaper to live and that's where many of those low-wage seasonal jobs happen.

Which leads me to a related matter: quite a few of those jobs are difficult to access for the unemployed here - the jobs are way up in the north but the people live in the south. Sweden is a big country.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #689 on: June 03, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »

The cost of living varies a lot around here. In the north, it's a lot cheaper to live and that's where many of those low-wage seasonal jobs happen.

Which leads me to a related matter: quite a few of those jobs are difficult to access for the unemployed here - the jobs are way up in the north but the people live in the south. Sweden is a big country.

That's kinda backwards.  Here it's much cheaper to live in the North than the south, same as you.  But for that same reason, the North is horribly overpopulated, and work is scarce; wheras the South is much less densely populated (London aside) .  There's always low-paid  work to be had in L ondon  and Kent but the poor Northerners can neither afford to live down South, nor commute.  Wages for the service industry , farm work etc.  don't even come close to meeting the cost of living down there.

Our Government have made matters worse with the  tenants "right to buy" social housing.  This has resulted in most of the social housing (especially down South, ofc)  ending up in the hands of private landlords and unaffordable to low-paid workers.  They also made matters worse by introducing a benefits cap and various other punitive "welfare reforms" which have forced yet more poor tenants out of London . When justifying such reforms, the Government consistently forget to explain that  the vast majority of welfare recipents are either retired or else  working on a very low wage, often in  London's service industries.  So Southerners think they're only punishing the "lazy" jobless when they vote on favour of such measures,  whereas they're actually pushing out their own servants, then grumbling that Brits  "don't want to work" when they see the effect of it.

Seems weird that the poorer Swedes live at the expesnive end of the country.  Obviously, things must be very different in Sweden,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:23:04 AM by Walkie »