Author Topic: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.  (Read 27777 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.
« Reply #645 on: January 30, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »
If that's all you've got, then it's obvious I know more about the issues surrounding Brexit than you do.

And maybe I know more than you!   I have been following this deeply and it seems that nationalistic politics in the UK won out.  But, the union in Europe seems to be strengthening due the the growing nationalistic/conservative movement in the UK led by trumpolini light.  Scotland and Wales and Ireland may yet have something to say.  We shall see.

I tend to defer to the people who ACTUALLY live in the EU, rather than someone who loves trumpolini.  And yes, I saw your comment about Greta.........and that was what I expected from you, deplorable.  So go drive your truck with the anti-obama exhaust pipe and pollute to your hearts content.  I will be watching you with a more jaundiced eye here and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:15:30 PM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #646 on: January 30, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »
It is obvious, in hindsight, that the single European currency was an epically stupid idea. With disastrous outcomes for countries like Greece and Spain.

The UK did well to keep its own currency.

I would still say that the EU was a good idea BUT it did seem to overreach its original purpose, in some ways, over the past couple of decades. Right wing policies such as free movement of labour were dressed up as progressive, left wing policies, and have served to fan the flames of right wing populism.

Right wing nationalism does seem to be rising all over.  I weep for humanity!  :-[
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
Indeed. Brexit and Trump are two sides of the same thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
MY gut feeling is that this is going to bite the UK in the ass at some point.  The UK/boris johnson are tied to trumpolini as he drags us down with record setting deficits.  The EU has apparently become more unified in reaction to this. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2020, 03:04:31 AM »
It's most people's gut feeling. The EU is not going to give them the same advantages as it would to a member state. Why would they?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #650 on: February 27, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
The EU is surely starting to regret those open borders? Especially the countries with land borders with Italy.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #651 on: February 28, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
The EU is surely starting to regret those open borders? Especially the countries with land borders with Italy.

I very much doubt it would make much of a difference in the long run. The advantages of open borders outweigh the problems, IMHO.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #652 on: March 01, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »

I very much doubt it would make much of a difference in the long run. The advantages of open borders outweigh the problems, IMHO.

In the long run, no. The virus will eventually spread and there may or may not be a vaccine some time in 2021. In the meantime the spread of the virus could be accelerated by people attempting to flee major outbreaks.

What are the advantages of open borders? Particularly for a working class Brit, for example?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2020, 05:38:20 PM »

In the long run, no. The virus will eventually spread and there may or may not be a vaccine some time in 2021. In the meantime the spread of the virus could be accelerated by people attempting to flee major outbreaks.

What are the advantages of open borders? Particularly for a working class Brit, for example?
Sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who isn't impressed by the coronavirus. Husband started flapping about it. Told him influenza kills over fifty thousand people in the US every year, and asked if we can be concerned with his immediate health risks. :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »
The mortality rate from a typical flu is around 0.1%. For the Spanish Flu in 1918/19 estimates are as high as 20% (it was probably less). For the Coronavirus the mortality rate is between about 1% and 4%.

Assuming that you come in at around 2%, and about the same number of people catch it as would catch the flu in a typical flu season, you are still talking about a million deaths. Mostly older people and people with compromised health already. But that's still a lot of dead people.

I think the level of concern shown by the WHO is appropriate and the actions taken in China were heavy-handed but necessary.

The impact on the world economy will potentially be a lot greater than the deaths.

My main concern is that the supermarkets are completely out of toilet paper already.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
Meh. I care because WolFish was immunocompromised and people in situations like his have reason to fear. I'm not afraid for myself.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #656 on: March 04, 2020, 02:57:52 AM »
What's the Coronavirus got to do with toilet paper? There are no cases of the virus in Western Australia yet all the toilet paper here is rapidly disappearing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #657 on: March 04, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
^I've done some reading and now I know why.

We have stacks of toilet paper at home anyway.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #658 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
Here it's bleach, disinfecting wipes, masks, are all flying off the shelves at walmart.  Even Carla has remarked that masks, and anti-biotic hand disinfectants are almost non-existent.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #659 on: March 05, 2020, 02:37:16 AM »

Eligible for work all over Europe, for one. Choose to settle anywhere in the EU. Holidays anywhere. Etc.

For a small island with 70 million people I'd say it's a no-brainer, but I guess they disagreed. Oh well. They've got blue passports now, at least.

- Albert Einstein