Author Topic: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.  (Read 27735 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.
« Reply #615 on: July 02, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
Properly burnt.

Hey, a reported 20% in the opinion polls sounds alright by me. I'd vote for them if I was a Swede.

I'm not surprised.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #616 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
I'm not surprised.

What?

Those 20%. I was assuming you'd vote for the Swedish Democrats if you were a Swede.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
I would vote SD. I voted UKIP and was a member for seven years. In here so can't vote for the Brexit Party.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
Which was my point. SD and UKIP are two sides of the same basic problem.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
My point is we need to be ourselves. Same for the Swedes. You don't want loads of unintegrated asylum seekers in Sweden. Respect the local culture or piss off. Sleep with your own if you won't let us sleep with yours.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »
You haven't had a local culture since before 1066. Grow up.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
You haven't had a local culture since before 1066. Grow up.

We've had immigration largely by consent before 2004 apart from Muslims and some of the Caribbeans. Many of the Poles have gone home.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #623 on: July 04, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
::sigh::

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #624 on: July 04, 2019, 05:08:48 AM »
::sigh::

Many of the EU Poles don't see Britain as home. They came, worked for some years and went. The earlier ones will stay.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #625 on: July 04, 2019, 05:39:07 PM »
Odeon doesn't get what you are saying. To him all culture is interchangeable and not and should not be specific to a people.

I get what you are saying though. It is one thing i think is critically important. If you move to a host country you NEED to submit to their social mores and culture.

Be respectful and do not try to force your cultural ideas there. Your cultural leanings are trumped by theirs.

You certainly do not start demanding things are changed to suit you.

If i moved to Thailand i would have to accept insulting the Royal Family is a jailable offence. If i did not believe that, tough. I would not post crap secretly, or have quiet dosrespectful conversations about it with other expats or ask that this law be changed to protect me and other Aussies.

If i moved there, i would also try to learn their language and what things integrate me there and what would make me objectionable. I would seem to offend no one and be the least trouble.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #626 on: July 04, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
Al, I've only spent a few days in Chiang Mai. It is a nice part of the world. I lived in Bangers for a couple of years with my family, and my daughter was born there. I love Bangkok. Chiang Mai is nicer in a lot of ways, quieter and not as hot.

It's pretty easy to get along in Thailand, the people are generally very tolerant unless you really go out of your way to be a dickhead. Unfortunately a lot of expats and tourists do exactly that. I found expats in Thailand generally to be less obnoxious than expats in Jakarta, but it really is a low bar.

More than once I have seen tourists who have been walking around all day take off their shoes and put their feet up. This is one of the most offensive things you can do in Thailand. Never show the bottom of your feet, and especially do not point them towards anyone. Raising your voice is also generally offensive in Asia, as is showing any outward sign of anger. Money must be respected because it has the king's image on it. Don't drop money and step on it to stop it rolling or blowing away, and don't deliberately damage or burn money. Never touch the top of someone's head. Riding a motorbike or getting a motorbike taxi in Thailand is extremely dangerous, I wouldn't do it. Defensive driving isn't really a thing.

Some expats spend a lot of money to have what they consider an adequate lifestyle in Thailand. Others find that they adapt to the way of life and spend less than they expected to. I remember going shopping in Bangkok with my Australian friend who still lives there, he was going to buy some Australian beef for a stir fry. It was something like 4 times the price of the less tender local beef. I convinced him to buy the local beef and then I taught him how to cook it so that it wasn't as tough as an old shoe. In my opinion the best food in Thailand is also the cheapest.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:54 PM »
Odeon doesn't get what you are saying. To him all culture is interchangeable and not and should not be specific to a people.

They never talk of Pakistan or Somalia not having a separate culture. They only have something against prosperous liberal Western democracies. It's an anti-Western ideology that those who mean us harm must find hilarious.

I get what you are saying though. It is one thing i think is critically important. If you move to a host country you NEED to submit to their social mores and culture.

Learning the local language does not automatically make you an honoured citizen. A lot of this is about integrating with the host culture. So, no crime, no getting the local women pregnant, no backtalk against the host culture.

When I go on holiday to Portugal I wouldn't sleep with the locals. I want to be respected and not a nuisance. I could probably get laid, but it's abuse to the Portuguese.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Slow cook it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:45:11 PM by Tequila »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #629 on: July 05, 2019, 12:25:39 AM »
:popcorn:

- Albert Einstein