Educational

Author Topic: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.  (Read 27584 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Brexit omelette with ham and cheese.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »
Brexit, in my mind, is mostly an emotional argument by people with misguided notions of "independence". I have yet to see a rational argument for Brexit but quite a few against it that highlight the risks involved.

The Remain campaign is painting the Brexit campaign as an emotional and racist thing, but there are logical arguements which are not being addressed.

Sovereignty.
Further integration.
The proposed EU Army which will undermine NATO.
The undemocratic nature of the EU lawmakers.
The culture of secret negotiations, particularly TTIP.
Immigration/population explosion which has seen rents for the bottom part of society double in real terms in the last decade.

None of the above are being addressed by the Remain campaign, who just point there finger at anyone who argues with them and call them idiots and racists.  Hence the middle ground is left to the right wing.

The reality is that plenty of politicians want this but are too afraid to back it in case the vote fails.  Again, leaving the middle ground to the right wing.

All in all, the new entries to the EU aren't exactly rich and aren't really raising the averages any, and Britain - as one of only two net contributors to the EU - is supposed to roll over and spunk up more cash to bail out people who are only in a mess because the EMF (read Germany and France) has fucked them over.

But make that an emotional arguement if you want.

I'm not making it into anything. I'm observing and the impression I get is one of an emotional argument, not a rational one. Me, I think Brexit is financial madness.

I know.  You can only work with what you're told and there's a lot of bullshit flying about.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
Well, it is possible to actually find out stuff for yourself, without paying too much attention to the farce. Unfortunately, most people don't and so the emotional arguments are all they get.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
That's about how I read it too.

But, it is a binding referendum. So, now I am wondering what will happen when the majority does go for the brexit option.

No.  It isn't.  It is merely a measure of public opinion and has nothing legally binding attached to it.

Should have looked better then. Was wondering whether it was binding or not. Did not find a thing, till I saw a Wikipedia article talking about it being a binding refererendum.

Not binding? That may lead to havock. People can vote, yet it will only have the status of an opinion poll.

A non binding referendum is pretty frustrating. Rather not have a referendum than a non binding one.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »
Well it's either that or cultural suicide.
The UK would have to exit the UN to avoid multiculturalism. Many developed countries are projected to become too old and thus economically unsustainable over the next couple of generations due to low birth rates and higher life expectancy. The UN has had long term replacement migration initiatives in place since at least 2000. The US is unaffected by this particular initiative because it already takes in more than enough immigrants to maintain a sufficient young working class.

While completely true this statement I fail to see why you had to say it.  Multiculturalism is not and never has been an issue in the UK.  While we have some idiots here, overall the UK is very well integrated in terms of multiculturalism.
It was written as a response to what Grey Area wrote. If the implications of cultural suicide by staying in the EU was misunderstood by me, then she will probably let me know. Most resent polling shows public views on multiculturalism to be fairly evenly divided. Maybe I read it correctly and Grey Area has more to say about it.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:45 AM »

But, it is a binding referendum. So, now I am wondering what will happen when the majority does go for the brexit option.

No.  It isn't.  It is merely a measure of public opinion and has nothing legally binding attached to it.

Should have looked better then. Was wondering whether it was binding or not. Did not find a thing, till I saw a Wikipedia article talking about it being a binding refererendum.

Not binding? That may lead to havock. People can vote, yet it will only have the status of an opinion poll.

A non binding referendum is pretty frustrating. Rather not have a referendum than a non binding one.

Those are infuriating. We had a local one a year or two ago, about whether or not to get rid of the toll roads surrounding Gothenburg. A clear majority wanted them gone but the politicians chose to ignore the referendum.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 02:30:55 AM »

Those are infuriating. We had a local one a year or two ago, about whether or not to get rid of the toll roads surrounding Gothenburg. A clear majority wanted them gone but the politicians chose to ignore the referendum.

The two referendums we had, both times the outcome was diametrical against what the government wanted. So, it only helped to make some minor adjustments.

Think it is bloody stupid to try to motivate people to vote and then not listen to them. This will only make the distance between national politics and civilians bigger, and the reasons to vote smaller. The way to let democracy go bankrupt.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 03:42:35 AM »

While not a legally binding vote I can't see any government ignoring it.   But I suspect if the vote says leave then they'll be another vote - a "do you really mean it?" thing.  It's all posturing at the moment.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »

While not a legally binding vote I can't see any government ignoring it.   But I suspect if the vote says leave then they'll be another vote - a "do you really mean it?" thing.  It's all posturing at the moment.

My experience with referendums that are not binding is that the government then tells they will do it the way they wanted it anyway, yet they will be prepared to do some extra tweaking. Very annoying. The way to alienate the public from the government.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
with referendums that are not binding is that the government then tells they will do it the way they wanted it anyway, yet they will be prepared to do some extra tweaking. Very annoying. The way to alienate the public from the government.
What a bunch of crap.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
with referendums that are not binding is that the government then tells they will do it the way they wanted it anyway, yet they will be prepared to do some extra tweaking. Very annoying. The way to alienate the public from the government.
What a bunch of crap.

The way referendums are treated by the leading politicians? Or how I think they are annoying and alienating the public even further from national politics?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »
Elections that don't count. It was a reflexive response. Though a primary vote on the Brexit topic makes more sense, even if the official decision may never be left to the public vote. It's a big issue so impressive to allow for a general public voting.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »
 :angrydance: :angrydance: :angrydance:

:'(

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
The remain vote was counting on a big turnout from Scotland and London. Without this, Brexit will win the vote....unless the rest of the country has a worse turnout. If I was a betting man, I'd back Brexit
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Not good.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:32 AM »

Fucking awful :thumbdn:

Genuinely feel devastated :'(

Stayed up all night watching the results come through with a growing sense of horror.

Got about an hours sleep, and now I just want to cry >:(