Author Topic: Odeon, need to know a few things  (Read 2461 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Odeon, need to know a few things
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »
We are all a bit crazy here. If believing I am crazy works for you, I am okay with that. It does not affect me in any meaningful way.
Out of interest, IF the word ganging up was completely unsuited to describe things, what was the "right" phrase that I "should have used"?

I don't know what phrase you should have used. I would have to go back and look at the context, and I'm really not for doing that :laugh:
You're a big boy, and I think you're perfectly capable of choosing the right phrases by yourself :thumbup:
It really doesn't matter anyway. It was a long time ago, and there's no point in going over it now. It wasn't a big deal at the time, and it's certainly not a big deal now.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
We are all a bit crazy here. If believing I am crazy works for you, I am okay with that. It does not affect me in any meaningful way.
Out of interest, IF the word ganging up was completely unsuited to describe things, what was the "right" phrase that I "should have used"?

I don't know what phrase you should have used. I would have to go back and look at the context, and I'm really not for doing that :laugh:
You're a big boy, and I think you're perfectly capable of choosing the right phrases by yourself :thumbup:
It really doesn't matter anyway. It was a long time ago, and there's no point in going over it now. It wasn't a big deal at the time, and it's certainly not a big deal now.

Certainly wasn't to me but when the spotlight was shone on it (after I recovered from the WTF's?) I had a bit of fun with it.

I was genuinely curious. As I said before I think the term was fine as it was. I was after your opinion. You say it doesn't matter? I say I agree. It probably never did and was one of many points of contention that were non-issues.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »
But by all means tell me which phrases I "should" have used instead.
Thinking these should be the last words of this argument. Had previously stated not wishing to contribute further, but Butterflies just made Sir Les' argument for him. Up until this point, was viewing Odeon as coming close to making his case, even though taking a messy long time to do it. Odeon posted quotes showing Sir Les calling Zeg on this crap while simultaneously claiming not to read, supporting the point of not being able to have it both ways. Odeon also posted quotes of Sir Les unknowing misrepresenting Zeg, by saying Zeg wasn't interested in resolution after Zeg had already conceded. My only objection to Odeon's approach was the label given to these actions was unfitting, by disagreeing with the definition, and believing Odeon should give more consideration to what the label also means to Sir Les. In the argument between Zeg and Sir Les, Zeg has stood accountable for starting the fight and taking things too far, and Sir Les has stood accountable for being a jerk by not giving Zeg a chance to quit and continuing to fight after it was over. Odeon may personally have higher standards for Sir Les' behavior. Butterflies made me realize Sir Les was trying to tell me something I missed. Didn't really read the stuff about ganging up because it seemed irrelevant, and one of multiple side-tracking mini-arguments within the argument which were paid no attention. Today it was read. Odeon stated the words ganging up imply all sorts of things most of which are at least a bit nasty, and criticized Sir Les for not caring about the consequences of his words. Odeon said semantic differences are important because Sir Les thinks a behavior means ganging up and Odeon doesn't; these things matter. The fact is, the phrase gang up has definitions which in no way define doing anything nasty like bullying. Though it's true the phrase carries some clearly nasty connotations and implications. Intellectual dishonesty also carries clear nasty connotations, so does knowingly misrepresenting, and those connotations are deliberately deceptive. Sir Les has shown Odeon to be hypocritical in this argument, and it makes sense he assumes Odeon doesn't care about what these words imply to, or about him. Odeon has presented the following definition: When one avoids an honest, deliberate and comprehensive approach to a matter because it may introduce an adverse effect on personally and professionally held views and beliefs. Thinking the important word there is, because. Sir Les has clearly stated his manner of approach was because he wanted to be petty, vindictive and unreasonable in return of Zeg's behavior. There's nothing to suggest Sir Les' approach was for any other reason. Odeon has not proven Sir Les to be intellectually dishonest or knowing misrepresentative, so once again, will declare Sir Les the winner of this callout. May I also act a referee and declare the fight over? Gentlemen, please go to your corners.

One thing here that I think needs saying. Is you are right about the application of the definition which is something I have argued over. Indeed i have shown how I can similarly (and I say better apply the definition that Odeon uses to shoehorn Odeon's actions to fit Intellectual dishonesty. I think comparatively I would make an even better case than what he introduced.

I am smart enough to know that this would still be disingenuous and it is simply pathologising his actions and showing them in the worst light and examining them with a pre-conceived conclusion. It is the cherrypicking you referred to earlier.

The linkages are tenuous and forced and so pointing rightly as the "because" implying a reason I did not have is like pushing a domino and seeing it all fall. The arguments that he has doubled down on are not strong.

I think there was a reason for this and for the word fumbling and the inability to find his way in 3 months in the argument and why he has tried various tactics and has dropped merged and retracted various tangential arguments along the way.

I do not think his argument was that great and I think unlike the Odeon that we are used to seeing that is logical, precise with his words, able to articulate and choose his words carefully, he adopted a poor position in anger or frustration and without thinking and doubled double for all he was worth.

That is my honest assessment. I think it is a terrible shame because I actually like Odeon despite this. I see it as beneath him and out of character. I see it as him at his worst. It is akin to watching your favourite play with your favourite actor, and him coming in blind drunk and clumsily, missing his cues and speaking inarticulately. You know that it is an anomaly and is neither normal, nor necessarily going to happen again, but it is so disappointing it happened the first time.

As to why he failed so badly? I don't know. If I HAD to guess....

It looks bad and cringeworthy. Its not you. That is its not normal you. Its like you are doubling down on the position because to admit it really did not have legs is kind of saying I was right but if you are viewing this from an emotional and reactive mindset, THAT may feel like it then not only dismisses a weak claim but says that I WAS right, you were wrong and your opinion was invalid and so therefore your motivations or feelings were insincere.

I could sympathise with that kind of position. I have been very happy to admit I was a jerk. No issue. I made things difficult. Ninja Cats were probably as aggravating for others as they were for Zegh. Six months of this is a long time. Mocking him whilst not reading him may have really worn on your sense of it being poor form. It WAS a new tactic and an abrasive one.

Any of these things may have been enough for you to want to have a go at me. What would have been my defence? I was not being a jerk? It may even drive someone to try something a little more substantial an argument. To attack their values or integrity. Something that may give them pause to think and not just brush it off and admit to it. A guy who is good at arguing may even be able to prop an argument up which looks substantial enough at first glance. It may just be enough to make someone like me to back up a bit and perhaps others to join in condemnation.

I would understand how something like THAT could happen and how when questioned a want to make it look more substantial and scrambling on the fly would lead someone to word fumble. Would also reason that doubling down would make the argument look stronger and so would merging and amalgamating other claims into it.

Of course that is what it looked like to me. The irony of course is that the were that or something like it the case, the strong claims are the ones that I could not contest. They are ones that ultimately could have got a bit of traction. Were they claims I had to contest, we would not have been here.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
I see it as beneath him and out of character.
Have said before, that seems exactly what Odeon was trying to say about you. So now you're both disappointed. Good. :laugh: That seems a fair enough ending. My personal bias for Odeon wanted him to win. Odeon was given by me, ample opportunity and sufficient reasons to bend away from the term and definition, without my saying exactly why it's a losing stance. Odeon's choice of definition contained a motive.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:14:59 PM by Jack »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
I see it as beneath him and out of character.
Have said before, that seems exactly what Odeon was trying to say about you. So now you're both disappointed. Good. :laugh: That seems a fair enough ending. My personal bias for Odeon wanted him to win. Odeon was given by me, ample opportunity and sufficient reasons to bend away from the term and definition, without my saying exactly why it's a losing stance. Odeon's choice of definition contained a motive.

Again you are right.
He did try saying something similar about me. I had forgotten that further ironic point. He fumbled away ever since.

You are right in saying he is disappointed in me as I in him. The difference though, I believe,  is simply he did not like my tactics and how I conducted myself and tried to present it as an intellectual,  moral or ethic failing. It was me simply being nasty and giving back with interest. I was being a jerk.

So his disappointment I believe and think is genuine
 I don't think he liked my actions. I the same as he. But that is where our similarities dissipate

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
I did not only try, I said it. I also said at the time that your use of "ganging up" was loaded. I also believe there was no way you wouldn't be aware of that fact. All of which was beside the point, because this was something you said.

I don't think I failed at all.

But Jack, really? Hypocritical? Did you read me at all? Ganging up was not a part of this argument, it was something Al said about Butterflies, something Butterflies denied.

Thinking Butterflies is closer to the truth than either of you, and she is not emotionally invested in this.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
But Jack, really? Hypocritical? Did you read me at all? Ganging up was not a part of this argument, it was something Al said about Butterflies, something Butterflies denied.
Yes, yes, and yes. Semantic differences are important in personal conflicts, because one must consider what the other side interprets of the meaning, regardless of the intent of use. It wasn't the actual argument, but part of the argument and you were absolutely right about that. Sir Les' main contention against your claim was one of the importance of semantic differences. That was the sole basis of any case he made for himself against the words being used; he wanted you to care those words mean liar to him. Butterflies thoughts about those words are certainly the more relevant in that discussion because she was on the receiving end, and Sir Les' thoughts on the receiving end are no less relevant. Should probably add you're not hypocritical generally speaking; am talking about this one specific case. If you believe hypocracy isn't the correct term for me to use, then how would you better describe it? Am absolutely willing to consider your feelings, and perfectly fine to be wrong about that. Personally am a hypocrite about all sorts of stuff, but still have no problem saying something is the wrong thing to do; the fact I've done it or do it doesn't change still thinking it's wrong.

Then keep fighting about it, and prove Sir Les avoids an honest, deliberate and comprehensive approach to a matter because it may introduce an adverse effect on personally and professionally held views and beliefs. Even if dropping the word professionally from that, it will entail calling him a liar about the reason why he said he did it. It seemed clear all along he was doing it because he was angry, and maybe even enjoying it. It wasn't the right term.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:42:42 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
I don't know what phrase you should have used.
Jack called it a coincidence.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »
Yes, yes, and yes. Semantic differences are important in personal conflicts, because one must consider what the other side interprets of the meaning, regardless of the intent of use. It wasn't the actual argument, but part of the argument and you were absolutely right about that. Sir Les' main contention against your claim was one of the importance of semantic differences. That was the sole basis of any case he made for himself against the words being used; he wanted you to care those words mean liar to him. Butterflies thoughts about those words are certainly the more relevant in that discussion because she was on the receiving end, and Sir Les' thoughts on the receiving end are no less relevant. Should probably add you're not hypocritical generally speaking; am talking about this one specific case. If you believe hypocracy isn't the correct term for me to use, then how would you better describe it? Am absolutely willing to consider your feelings, and perfectly fine to be wrong about that. Personally am a hypocrite about all sorts of stuff, but still have no problem saying something is the wrong thing to do; the fact I've done it or do it doesn't change still thinking it's wrong.

Then keep fighting about it, and prove Sir Les avoids an honest, deliberate and comprehensive approach to a matter because it may introduce an adverse effect on personally and professionally held views and beliefs. Even if dropping the word professionally from that, it will entail calling him a liar about the reason why he said he did it. It seemed clear all along he was doing it because he was angry, and maybe even enjoying it. It wasn't the right term.

Exactly.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »
But Jack, really?
If it's any consideration, have been under a lot of stress and thus acting out of character. Talking too much both here and work. The consequence has meant upsetting people and shooting myself in the foot.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
But Jack, really?
If it's any consideration, have been under a lot of stress and thus acting out of character. Talking too much both here and work. The consequence has meant upsetting people and shooting myself in the foot.

I can send the Royal Physician to tend to your foot and also bring suitable liquid medicine for the stress.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »
But Jack, really?

Jack, where else but here ought that not matter.
What you said is fine and your ability to read and understand 3 months + is awesome

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 06:38:08 AM »
It matters.

And my gratitude, Your Majesty.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »
It matters.

And my gratitude, Your Majesty.

If there was ever a sanctuary to have an opinion (Hell even a bad one!) this is the place. Your views were honest, transparent and articulate. Why should you feel bad or justifying that?
You are fine, mate.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
It seems to matter to Odeon, so matters to me. Hypocritical can be a pretty loaded word.