Author Topic: Questions for Lestat: Lestat's Lab  (Read 9690 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Lestat: Lestat's Lab
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 02:38:38 AM »
Thanks hyke. I appreciate you telling of experiences. Your girls sure have had it tough with meds. I don't understand why your psych doctor would raise the dose twice either. Lowering it would make sense.

I did ask the chemist near me about an antipsychotic that would not cause tiredness or weight gain. He said aripiprazole. I have been on quite a few others and they cause tiredness. Quetiapine caused a lot of weight gain. Alertness could be a good thing to a degree as I have inattentive ADHD. Hmm, I shall think some more on it. Thanks again.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 02:48:02 AM »
Youngest of mine used Risperidone first. That one worked the best, on a really low dosage. But the side effects were big. And over time she did get more and more tired using it.
In came the Quetiapine. That made her really, really tired. Exhausted from the moment she got out of bed. Then the Aripiprazole. Did not get her tired. But for her it did not help dampen the stimuli from outside. It only enhanced her sensitivity. Seems to be a rare effect. So who knows, it might work for you.

Now she is on CBD oil. A supplement. It almost works as well as the Risperidone did. But the only side effect for her is the unpleasant taste. And that is gone after a minute.
The supplement is said to work as a mild anti-psychotic. In the light of the experiences of my daughter, I think that may very well be true.

There are tests going on on how effective CBD is as an anti-psychotic and as a drug to help with anxiety issues. Small research, but it is happening.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:53 AM »
What does the CBD stand for? I haven't heard of it before, sounds interesting.

I tried risperidone and olanzapine while in hospital. They both gave me the shakes. Was awful.

I mainly need an antipsychotic to ease tics. Apparently haloperidol is the best for it. I'm on that but don't want to keep taking it if it blocks dexamphetamine. Especially when I'm going to college and need all the brain power I can get.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 04:21:13 AM »
CBD/Cannabidiol

Have to pay it out of pocket, but it is worth it, in case of my daughter.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »
Thanks for the link, I didn't really understand what the Australian part was about though. I saw the use of the supplement  (or something very much like it) on tv with a guy that could barely talk or move. The difference it made for him was incredible. He was able to have a proper conversation and move the way he wanted to. It's definitely a supplement with many uses.

I'm glad your daughter is doing well with it. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
The Australian part in that Wikipedia article seemed to be about THC, something different than CBD, but chemically related. And both produced by the same plants. THC is what makes people high, when they smoke pot. THC is also suspected to function as a psychotic for people who are prone to end up in a psychosis. But in a combination with the right amount of CBD, this may not happen.

The hemp plant only produces CBD's and no THC.

There is interesting stuff to be found in this plant that has been used medically for ages. It only got out of the loop because of big pharma.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
I know that the THC part is no good for me. Makes me very paranoid and I think people are coming to get me. If I continued to have it, I probably would have ended up with psychosis.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
I know that the THC part is no good for me. Makes me very paranoid and I think people are coming to get me. If I continued to have it, I probably would have ended up with psychosis.

Bryan Cranston :heart: mentioned in an interview that smoking pot was little fun for him,
   because it just made him think the cops were coming.  So you're in good company.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »

The other part works somewhat in an opposite way. Here it is stuff that can be legally bought, because it does not contain the psychoactive THC. Don't know what legislation in Australia is, when it comes to CBD.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »

Bryan Cranston :heart: mentioned in an interview that smoking pot was little fun for him,
   because it just made him think the cops were coming.  So you're in good company.  :laugh:

I went through a phase where pot made me paranoid too.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

I went through a phase where pot made me paranoid too.

What changed that?  Did you start buying a different kind of pot, or did you just generally relax?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
Best guess is being used to and getting along with (assuming she ever did that is), weed that is/was high in Indica genetic heritage. There are three main species in the genus Cannabis. C.sativa, C.indica and C.ruderalis.

Purestrain Sativas produce mostly THC and lesser quantities of CBD (just considering THC and CBD ratios here, there are HUNDREDS of phytocannabinoids) whilst pure Indica parentage leads to a much higher CBD to THC ratio. It of course varies according to the strain chosen to grow, the manner in which it is grown, the skill of the grower, soil (if soil is used rather than hydroponics or aeroponic methods of growing our wee babies) quality, and the lights available, plus of course, growth setup and fertilizers, trace nutrients etc.)

C.ruderalis on the other hand, originates from the russian steppes, and produces in and of itself relatively little in the way of psychoactive phytocannabinoids. Not to say its absent, just cannot compare with either of the other two species.

All three are capable of interspecific hybridization, and accordingly, crossbreeding has become quite an art amongst enthusiasts.

Where C.ruderalis shines however, is that unlike either Cannabis sativa, or C.indica, C.ruderalis autoflowers, that is to say, it does not require timing of light cycles for indoor grows. So a percentage of Ruderalis genetic material in hybrids, results, ideally in an autoflowering strain.

The growth habitat of C.sativa is tall, very tall compared to the other two, C.indica is squatter and bushier, making it better suited for outdoor grows than C.sativa if concealment is desired. C.ruderalis is the shortest of all three species within the genus Cannabis, and a crossbreed between an Indica and a Ruderalis can result in a short, stocky and strong compact bushy girl that doesn't need any attention paid to fucking around with cycling the right amount of the right kinds of light at the correct time. Just hit it with what you can throw at it, and it will flower.

(I say 'girl' because its the female that produces the goods, males plants are good only either for breeding stock, or if in bulk, for chemical extraction and processing for what THC/CBD/CBV content there is. The good stuff is to be found most of all in the female flowering tops, and the highest quality skunk, aka 'sensimilla' meaning 'without seeds', is to be harvested from females which have never been pollinated. So unless breeding, its best practice to identify and destroy male plants before chance for pollination has occurred via examination of the flowers under a microscope, or hand lens/magnifying glass. Either toss them out with any other males into an extraction, or weed them out (see what I did there:autism:) and kill them unless they are to be incorporated into a hybridization program.

Otherwise, they aren't much good to anyone. Although they could of course always be say, kept elsewhere in an outbuilding, and the (grower's) body carefully sterilized after exiting same, in order to glean every last scrap of THC/THV and CBD goodies that can be obtained.

Its indica weed or if not purestrain indicas, that are usually used for making hash, sativas tend to be speedy, more hallucinogenic and trippy, far out, zingy stuff, sometimes anxiogenic in excess (think pulling a whitey. Sativas are better at making that happen than indicas) whilst indica smokes tend to be really strongly muscle-relaxant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory, and give rise to what is commonly and fondly known as 'couch-lock' weed. So called, because it'll lock you to your couch, lazily sprawled out and for the life of you cannae' be fucked moving, kind of stuff. Dreamy and hypnotic rather than zingy and trippy, about sums up indica vs sativa.

Of course, hybrids vary massively, depending on parentage and contribution of their parents and further ancestors down the 'blood'line. Never tried smoking a purestrain Ruderalis, but can testify to the excellent breeding qualities of the hybrids, grown properly, with the right ancestry (the plant, not the grower:P) a strong indica with potential, with just a bit of Ruderalis genetics mixed in, a couple of feet in height, but bushy and compact with giant, rich and flavorsome colas can be had. Have even....ahem....observed the growth of....a mostly indica, with a wee bit of sativa and some ruderalis hybrid that even considering the Sativa genetic material present, stayed at about perhaps 1.25-1.35-1.4 feet tall, but fat and bushy and oh so delectably scented.

No fancy light schedules, no timer switch wiring was needed, just a growth chamber connected to an activated charcoal scrubber to filter out (regrettably, and of course, sadly, mandatorily for practical reasons) that delicious sweet-spicy fragrance before it exits and diffuses into the atmosphere of the growth building, fans to push air into same and replace old, oxygenated air with fresh CO2-laden air.

I've often wondered how it would enhance, if one were to take a few batches of identical plants, using tissue cloning in vitro from the same female plant, so as to eliminate utterly any variation caused by the plant, and keep alll other variables identical, lights, light schedule if required, temperature, water quantity and schedule of administration, fertilizer type, quantity, dilution and timing etc. and vary only the quantity of CO2 in the air. Enriching it with a canister of CO2 (these are available cheaply for welding, from such stores. They do not cost much, IIRC, less than the £11-12ish I pay for my argon tanks for when I need an inert atmosphere) and do a comparative study upon say, 8-10 batches of say, 6 plants each, with identical conditions, and afterwards, extraction of identical weight of rapidly chemically dessicated herb, kept cold, to avoid as much evaporation of the terpenes that give the goodies their delicious scents and flavours, by say, storage over anhydrous calcium chloride in a dessicator, kept in a coolant bath. When totally dry to take H2O content out of the equation and simplify calculations (I suck at those and I hate doing them too. Dyscalculia blows theresa may manure. then do a careful exhaustive extraction via soxhlet using liquid butane or a mixture of butane and dimethyl ether then compare the yield and percentages of otherwise identical plant clones, grown in exactly the same conditions, with various different levels of CO2 addition (and even subtraction) to determine the absolute optimum concentration range. Of course, that would be the first experiment. It would of course require repetition with clones from other plants, other hybrids and gene-stock, to determine the statistical mode of yield regardless of parentage, and thus optimum concentration of additional CO2 to be introduced to the inlet by which fresh air enters the growth chambers.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »
I'm just about to try an experiment, well two, although I know one can succeed having done it before. First-transmuting the red allotrope of phosphorus into white phosphorus, collecting the white phosphorus under water, cleaning it up with a chromic acid/sulfuric bath, melting it under that, then removing the acid and giving it a thorough wash with degassed, argon-sparged H2O.

Then , I'm preparing a couple of refractory crucibles, and will first put in a lower layer of lead, melt it, add to one, white phosphorus and to the other, red phosphorus, cover with more lead and keep molten  for 24 hours. The intended result, once the lead is dissolved away, I'll try concentrated hydrochloric/hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid/peroxide and if those don't work to dissolve the lead, I'll order some fuming nitric acid, which will certainly do the job. And leave me some lead nitrate as a byproduct.

The intended result, is an allotrope of phosphorus called violet, or Hittorf's phosphorus, similar to black phosphorus in that its not pyrophoric, not toxic, fairly unreactive and afaik not flammable.

I want to see if it truly is metallic, and also, heat some white phosphorus in a vacuum-sealed vessel and try to sublime what may be another form of violet P.

Also, whilst I need to get some potassium or sodium bromide, in order to liberate the bromine, and get some carbon disulfide and a powerful UV lamp, dissolve white P in CS2, and red P in phosphorus tribromide, again under intense UV, distill off the PBr3 (keeping it of course, it being a most valuable and useful reagent) to precipitate what may be either extremely finely divided red phosphorus or a distinct allotrope or polymorph. Not sure which.  But its known as scarlet, or Schlenk's phosphorus.

Got plenty RP to experiment with. Now time to make with the molten lead and the crucibles :) should be fun. Got to distill some red phosphorus first, to prepare white P, so I can try both, each in its own little molten lead bath and see what comes out at the end. hopefully violet phosphorus. I'd love to make some really big long crystals of it for the start point of a framed element collection, which I'm going to build myself of course, to hang upon the lab wall. First start, is I'm going to chase down as many of the storable allotropes of phosphorus as I can produce, from red and white P.  Black phosphorus and phosphorene (monolayers of phosphorus atoms, similar to graphene, germanene, etc. which should be interesting for electrical possibilities, semiconductivity perhaps. Black P is very difficult to produce though. But as for its nature, its similar to graphite, forming layers, and its electrically conductive, like graphite. I'm curious to see if, like graphite, the conductivity is isotropic or anisotropic. Plus there are two at least, perhaps three different crystalline polymorphs of black P. Its very unreactive chemically, its nonflammable, nontoxic, an electrical conductor, and whilst not useful as such chemically, it may well be electrically, with various applications in nanotech as thin films. Still, its got to be hunted down and stuck in a sealed vial for display. Just decided to choose phosphorus first, because of the great many allotropic forms it has. That, sulfur and carbon, as well as boron and selenium are the ones I'm going for first. As well of course as the elements that don't form different allotropic forms but which I already have in the lab, samples can be taken for the display. Going to try and make it a real work of art, a periodic table element collection display. Not sure what to use for the background, perhaps different colours, but polished ebony and rosewood appeal to me, as well of course as glass windows to seal in the vials of the elements. Something I've wanted to do for ages, and decided finally to get to it. Or perhaps I could have the actual display case 3D printed in something like carbon fiber so its lightweight. Although doing the woodwork appeals more, and I don't like the texture of 3D printed carbon, its slightly rough and ewww sensory nastiness ew.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
I'm just about to try an experiment, well two, although I know one can succeed having done it before. First-transmuting the red allotrope of phosphorus into white phosphorus, collecting the white phosphorus under water, cleaning it up with a chromic acid/sulfuric bath, melting it under that, then removing the acid and giving it a thorough wash with degassed, argon-sparged H2O.

Then , I'm preparing a couple of refractory crucibles, and will first put in a lower layer of lead, melt it, add to one, white phosphorus and to the other, red phosphorus, cover with more lead and keep molten  for 24 hours. The intended result, once the lead is dissolved away, I'll try concentrated hydrochloric/hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid/peroxide and if those don't work to dissolve the lead, I'll order some fuming nitric acid, which will certainly do the job. And leave me some lead nitrate as a byproduct.

The intended result, is an allotrope of phosphorus called violet, or Hittorf's phosphorus, similar to black phosphorus in that its not pyrophoric, not toxic, fairly unreactive and afaik not flammable.

I want to see if it truly is metallic, and also, heat some white phosphorus in a vacuum-sealed vessel and try to sublime what may be another form of violet P.

Also, whilst I need to get some potassium or sodium bromide, in order to liberate the bromine, and get some carbon disulfide and a powerful UV lamp, dissolve white P in CS2, and red P in phosphorus tribromide, again under intense UV, distill off the PBr3 (keeping it of course, it being a most valuable and useful reagent) to precipitate what may be either extremely finely divided red phosphorus or a distinct allotrope or polymorph. Not sure which.  But its known as scarlet, or Schlenk's phosphorus.

Got plenty RP to experiment with. Now time to make with the molten lead and the crucibles :) should be fun. Got to distill some red phosphorus first, to prepare white P, so I can try both, each in its own little molten lead bath and see what comes out at the end. hopefully violet phosphorus. I'd love to make some really big long crystals of it for the start point of a framed element collection, which I'm going to build myself of course, to hang upon the lab wall. First start, is I'm going to chase down as many of the storable allotropes of phosphorus as I can produce, from red and white P.  Black phosphorus and phosphorene (monolayers of phosphorus atoms, similar to graphene, germanene, etc. which should be interesting for electrical possibilities, semiconductivity perhaps. Black P is very difficult to produce though. But as for its nature, its similar to graphite, forming layers, and its electrically conductive, like graphite. I'm curious to see if, like graphite, the conductivity is isotropic or anisotropic. Plus there are two at least, perhaps three different crystalline polymorphs of black P. Its very unreactive chemically, its nonflammable, nontoxic, an electrical conductor, and whilst not useful as such chemically, it may well be electrically, with various applications in nanotech as thin films. Still, its got to be hunted down and stuck in a sealed vial for display. Just decided to choose phosphorus first, because of the great many allotropic forms it has. That, sulfur and carbon, as well as boron and selenium are the ones I'm going for first. As well of course as the elements that don't form different allotropic forms but which I already have in the lab, samples can be taken for the display. Going to try and make it a real work of art, a periodic table element collection display. Not sure what to use for the background, perhaps different colours, but polished ebony and rosewood appeal to me, as well of course as glass windows to seal in the vials of the elements. Something I've wanted to do for ages, and decided finally to get to it. Or perhaps I could have the actual display case 3D printed in something like carbon fiber so its lightweight. Although doing the woodwork appeals more, and I don't like the texture of 3D printed carbon, its slightly rough and ewww sensory nastiness ew.
pics, please.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »
i put oxygen bleach (oxyclean) into my water bottle because i thought it had bacteria growing in it. i have always assumed that in the presence of organic material the bleach will interact and get - well, fizzy. when i have tried this with things i thought were clean there was very little fizzing.

curious what you think and if i am right about the bacteria interacting with the bleach. it's much more dramatic than boring chlorine bleach. if i do it right it spills over the top and the sink looks like a mad scientist's lab.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher