Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Lestat: Lestat's Lab  (Read 9703 times)

Offline mdagli1

• Constant Poster
Re: Questions for Lestat: Lestat's Lab
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »

Wow, you look committed to being as autistic as possible. And you post here as if other autistics actually care about that special interest of yours. Keep up with that mental smear test because in the end it is your life to waste on nothing.

Try getting a real job to do something productive and just maybe someone may notice your efforts other than your doctor.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
Currently-about to build a test tube rack/stand, just carved from wood etc. and given a spray of varnish. AFTER that is, I eat the McVities jamaica ginger sticky pudding cake all to myself, I've had  a hankering for jamaican ginger cake for many months. Asked my old man to pick some up from the shop when he went shopping just now, I did ask him a while back too but he forgot. And ever since that hankering has sat there and festered busily, just sitting there determinedly festering...festerfesterfesterfesterfester.....CAAAAAAKE! Just diving into that, grabbed the penknife on the lounge table so I didn't have to move to the kitchen and get a knife. That way it means I got cake all the faster. Or at least, had my cake and ate it.

I've been longing for a fucking jamaican ginger cake for so long until now. That hit the SPOT. oh yes that's good. That is just what I needed to kick my ass in the direction of the lab. At least when I've eaten the rest of the cake. Love the stuff but hadn't had it in years until one day my brain just decided to think 'you want ginger-cake dammit now get some' and my stomach had to obey.

Oh yes, this scratches an itch alright, just as well in this filthy sun whilst working outside doing a distillation. After I've made a couple of test tube racks with the woodworking tools in the shed (the shed in this house is part my old man's electronic hobby room, and the rest of it is more or less a metalworking shop, with a metal lathe, along with tools for woodwork, saws, rasps, router-cutters, and even, although I don't keep them in there, some special drillbits which permit the drilling of glass. I think they are titanium carbide-tipped in one type. In the other I know what the abrasive is, as they are diamond-cutter drills, and yes, they do work, very well in fact, you just have to make sure, for a clean and delicate drilling, that the glass workpiece is held immobile, so the bit can't wander, before it bites in, which is what a drill-press is useful for.

I like that kinda work, getting my hands down and dirty building things and brewing things :)

Although not before I chow down this fucking cake! it is SOOOO good. After that, test tube racks to build being first.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline mdagli1

• Constant Poster
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »
Agreed, test tube babies like cake.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
It was wolfy (RIP) who started this thread, so that would imply that somebody wanted to learn about the sciences. I didn't start this thread, so if someone else does so for me, that would, logically speaking, tend to imply that their intent was that I post about the sciences.

And dangly? what do you mean by I 'try' to look as autistic as possible? LOL I really don't have to do so by devoting conscious effort to it. That comes as natural as breathing, or for neurons to depolarize when stimulated sufficiently. Why try, when it works just as well in any practicality.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd not come into my lab dangly pencil-dick kid, because I do not do safety testing
on animal life. Doing it to people who don't volunteer of course, would get one nicked for sure, in short, I'd make an exception for you. You are a sufficiently devolved haploid amoeba with the organs all in the right places, other than the heart, the brain and the genitals.

I doubt you'd want to be my lab rat. And you'd be an irritant, until your mouth was duct-taped.

My lab might have been given some soundproofing, but it isn't going to do any good with an oversized toddler kicking and screaming about his alleged BAAWWWWWW!tism.

Since one has to be standing OUTSIDE of wherever the soundproofing is installed, to not hear the screams and shrieks, muffled from behind duct tape, strapped down to a gurney. And used to suit my purposes until you one day assist me in determination of the LD:50 of some compound or other, or else test things longterm to see if they cause yo momma....sorry
..ahem; meant to say 'cancer' then.

And I'll fucking bet my bottom fucking dollar that I could make you last quite a long, although probably highly unpleasant time. IF you get to die. I can think of worse things. Far, far, far worse things than dying. Those are the sorts of tests I'd be doing on you, dangly, yeh' petty, oleaginous insolent little whelp, things you could not even begin to comprehend, luckiily for you. Because you'd fucking beg mefor death.

But if ever I killed you (that way at least) it'd be by accident. Any warhammer 40k fans  could do a lot worse than think 'dark eldar, haemonculus' and you might just get the idea of the sorts of things this wriggling collection of ganglia, excretory orifices, bile and shyte.

Like a sort of oversized parasitic worm meets and breeds with Cthulhu or one of his relatives. Only instead of killing people, this time, Chulhu left the nematode to infest a pregnant woman and thereby, you obviously, and regrettably, were born.

Oh and test-tube babies? its a misnomer. They use petri dishes for IVF. although I personally, was naturally born. And for that matter naturally born better than you.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »
*aaand...* the paper wrapper of the cake is being scraped with my swiss army knife to get the residual tasty bits adhering to the paper, as gooey and sticky as jamaican ginger cake is. One bottle of cookie dough flavor 'frijj' milkshake later, and off to work I go. I'm bloody famished. At least I think I am, given the time since the last time I ate food (weird neurological issues means I don't really get hungry much, not until I am in the ravenings of hunger and my stomach would start hurting, would I become mildly hungry, although when the food is there, I've been known to eat a pizza raw (dough baked, pepperoni cheese, all safe to eat IMO, because I CBF waiting for it to cook)

Was weird...being starving but not hungry..I mean I know I need food, but thats the only reason why I end up eating, I have to consciously watch it. Because I don't get he expectable hunger pangs. I just.keep going, don't notice much difference, really, so I have to watch it, and whenever the opportunity presents itself, to stuff in as much as I can before I can eat no more.

Now, even smoking some STRONG weed, I barely get hungry. I do want food and it doesn't all go and be as if unto  trying to eat ashes and sand in one's mouth, totally grey, soggy, pallid cardboard.

Its kinda...no physical barrier to passing food down my throat, taste isn't changed. Enjoying food once consuming it, as long as it is GOOD nosh of course, that still works. But the drive to SEEK OUT food is just not there much anymore. I suspect something to do with the hypothalamus, perhaps. It would fit.

It is really weird though when chonging it, really caning some really strong weed, in a bong, and not feeling the munchies.

I got the munchies mildly the other week, after picking up a half ounce of herb. That half O, gave me the munchies twice, in total. From the moment of opening the back and skinning up the first spliff, to the last roach dimp stubbed out, twice, just twice, from some veritably hallucinogenic skunk. Stuff was as potent as fuck no doubt about that, but it should have sent me to a state whereby I'd willingly walk 2-3 miles down a load of back alleys at 4 in the morning to the open all night late garage round these parts just so I can buy milkshakes, candies, lots of (admittedly fucking overpriced) high calorie stuff, and lots of sugary stuff. But now...no real food craving. Which I find a bit disturbing. Given the neurological context, and that that food seeking neuronal circuitry doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I were a lab rat, a mouse, etc. I'd probably starve to death without realizing it until it gets to the point of the very worst of the worst. Its only my higher animal intellect, as a human (and an autie one at that) being, that stops that happening, since I know to watch to ensure I eat and take both vitamin supplements and protein powder supplements (its alright t0 taste though, high protein chocolate milkshake mix, way overpriced for a concoction of simplish chewed up proteins added micronutrients like zinc, magnesium in an absorbable, chelated form, some vitamins,  as well as (all L- isomers):

alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, cysteine, glutamine and glutamate, histidine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, proline, serine, threonine, tryptophan, tyrosine and valine plus a bunch of partially hydrolyzed protein, derived from caseine and 8 different types of cereal grain part-hydrolyzed vegetable amino-acid  mixture.

Its more or less a chocolate flavoured oligopeptide clusterfuck lol.

Oh, I forgot, it also has some various selection of proteolytic enzymes/peptidases in the stuff. Fucking expensive, it cost me over £30 a tub, although the tubs do contain 2.3kg when full. And I'm not bodybuilding competitively or anything like that, I'm just making sure I get enough of the essential amino-acids in my diet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:11:53 AM by Lestat »

Offline mdagli1

• Constant Poster
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »

Never give up your autistic disability, dood. The more you try to protect it, the easier it is for me to help myself to you.

Forever yours, life.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
What's the most common ingredient you use?

Offline mdagli1

• Constant Poster
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
Semen as he clearly sticks his knob in dem flasks to fertilise the catalyst in his experiments. Because unfortunately, my giant willy broke the test tube that prevents me from fucking with him, let alone the turd sticks he chews on to satisfy his need to eat shit.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
Who knew you could get hydrochloric acid from lava?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Who knew you could get hydrochloric acid from lava?

The fumes of lava carry a number of acidic variations.  Depending upon the chemistry of the lava itself.  Mostly, sulfuric acid, but, it is all quite a corrosive cocktail that wreaks havoc on the lungs of volcanologists and residents of wherever large volumes flow.  In Hawaii, if the weather is right, the fumes of the current eruption can wrap areas in VOG.   Volcanic fog, so to speak.  I just finished reading a book about the Laki eruptions in Iceland in 1783.  An eruption so massive that almost 25% of the Icelandic population died of disease and famine.  And the VOG, reached all over Europe and caused problems there.

Thus ends today's lecture......we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.   :autism:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
HCl from lava? seems rather unlikely, given the predominance of sulfur oxides, sulfur di and probably trioxide, as well as elemental sulfur, in volcanic effluent.

The most common chemicals I use? probably either sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, or chlorine gas. I seem to be using quite a lot of halogens lately. Up to my ass in bromine and chlorine, the only one in fact that ISN'T 'around' would be fluorine gas, because it is so fucking lethal. Granted working with bromine monochloride and iodine monochloride sort of takes the piss in regard to F2, since these too are extremely toxic (BrCl especially is evil, evil stuff, a golden-yellowy brown gas, of a toxicity that is at least, comparable to, and possibly, given some acute exposure figures, several times more toxic than phosgene, with the one and only redeeming feature being that it has a tendency to go hypergolic with many organics, meaning it goes up in flames, and with some inorganics almost explosively. A test of reactivity with the less reactive, liquid-low melting solid iodine monochloride on a microscale, two drops applied to a couple of hundred milligrams of red phosphorus resulted in a blinding flash, bursting into flames the millisecond the two made contact, went up like flashpowder. BrCl is worse, more reactive, and toxicity-wise of chemical weapons potential, AFAIK the nazis experimented with it briefly, along with its evil bigger, worse-tempered brother, chlorine trifluoride but they fucked it off because of the extreme danger it poses.)

(ClF3 is too far, even for me,  and for that matter, for the nazis, anything thats capable of causing CONCRETE to spotaneously ignite, burns through bricks, and in the case of a spill, was witnessed  to burn through three feet of stone before igniting at least a meter of packed gravel and soil, whilst spewing hydrogen fluoride is a bit much haha. And HF is no laughing matter, passing through skin and turning the calcium in your blood to insoluble slush CaF2 and leaching calcium from your bones before causing a fatal heart attack is its thing. Its one of those things that makes many chemists' personal shitlists, and is infamous for its nasty, glass-dissolving, bone-melting nature)

Aside from the common acids and bases, I'd say for 'other' chemicals, possibly the most frequent in use are metal dusts, nitroethane, nitromethane and sodium borohydride.

I really like working with borohydride, most hydride reducing agents have to be handled in rigorously anhydrous conditions and under inert gas, but with borohydride, it just came in a bottle of solid tablets,  encased in a steel can for storage, no bursting into flames, no explosions, it can be used in the open air, weighed in air, and even in some systems, actually in aqueous solution. Doing that with say, sodium hydride or lithium aluminium hydride would cause an explosion of hydrogen gas that would most probably take fire from the vigorously exothermic reaction. Boro is nice tame stuff, and very versatile.

Favourite of all the arsenal of lab supplies though  would be benzaldehyde. Smells absolutely wonderful, the entire house is scented of freshly baked cherry bakewell tarts and marzipan, since I can't  bring myself to vent the vapors outside, it just smells too tasty, and it isn't toxic, in fact synthetic almond essence is benzaldehyde, dissolved in edible oil, I can't work with it without finishing up ravenously hungry, the scent is just too good :D

And it makes an excellent precursor for amphetamine and phenethylamine type compounds too, in a knoevanagel  condensation with nitroethane for example, it would, if  a chemist was so inclined, furnish 1-phenyl-2-beta-nitropropene, or P2NP as  its known in the psychopharmaceutical hobbyist's vernacular, either directly reduced with the nasty hydride LiAlH4 to amphetamine, or reduced with iron dust in glacial acetic acid with a catalytic quantity of  ferric chloride, it furnishes P2P, aka phenylacetone, which can be reductively aminated with one's choice of amines, or directly using nitroparaffins, which get reduced at the nitro group to furnish the amines in-situ, such as in an aluminium-mercuric chloride amalgam. Hate that reaction though, its touchy, it runs at an unnerving roiling reflux, boiling like crazy, and the workup is a shitter, my pet hate if I have one in chemistry in fact. So if I were that way inclined, I'd sooner take P2P to the ketoxime and run a Beauveault-Blanc reduction, using sodium metal in anhydrous ethanol to reduce to the product.

Hehe sodium has to be another favourite of mine. Pretty much guaranteed favourite for all hobby chemists...whats not to like about metal that explodes or bursts into flames on exposure to air?

I've seen it really go at it too, when I had to get my sodium via electrolysis, had an inert gas tank run out once, power supply still on of course, and I couldn't get close to it, after the molten sodium metal at some 300-something degrees formed as beads and immediately went off with a loud CRACK! and a burst of flame.

Had to cut the power at the fuse box, because the 'off' switch was behind the power supply, but the electrolytic cell was spitting searing hot caustic and molten metal, forming and immediately exploding, with a sound like automatic gunfire. That was a fun night to remember.

The Na was forming at an insane rate, thankfully I was wearing a blast shield, because it was going off like a string of chinese firecrackers, no one explosion big enough to be dangerous bar hitting someone in the eyes, which couldn't happen with the blast-shield over my face, a practice I stick to, after wearing goggles once for the task, and having a blob of molten sodium blast off and shoot right up my nose, blowing a crater out of my septum.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
What do you think about this??

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
I agree totally. Both in regards of selective consumption of fruit. The immunity of birds to capsaicin was actually an example, before fully seeing the video to its end. You can feed a bird the most virulently potent weapons-grade chili pepper, and it won't tell the least difference from pecking at a corn on the cob (well it might taste different but then again, I am not a bird and I don't eat vegetables with vanishingly few exceptions in just as few circumstances)

Another good example, would be certain tropical or neotropical trees, who's seeds must germinate underground. So rather than producing big, juicy fruit that could, and probably would; end up in the belly either of a ground dwelling or tree-inhabiting animal or that of a peckish human, these plants, which grow in arid locations, they cover their seeds with a nutrient-rich, oily tissue, not large, and this tissue; called an eliasome, is again, not huge.

It need not be, however, for its intended recipient is not a ground dwelling or arboreal mammal or bird, but ants. These fatty, protein rich eliasomes coating every seed are eaten by the ants, but not before the ants have dragged them back from whence they came, caching the seeds underground, wherein they consume the eliasome of these seeds, taking their reward from the plants, for planting the seeds underground, in the caches of the ants, along with plenty fertilizer, by way of the ants' waste.

Other trees, do something perhaps along the same theme lines, although with a different strategy. Acacia species, IIRC, possibly Mimosa, and they are armed with the most formidable thorns, with hollow bulbous bases, which house, together, a colony of vicious ants, armed both beak and backside, and when faced with predation (or vibration), out rush a swarm of furious ants with huge jaws, and any animal small enough is swarmed, killed and probably eaten, the touch of a nearby plant too, signals the tree's private army, and out they come, mauling and mutilating the plant so severely, that if it is anything but established, it dies. In return, aside from the free housing, the trees, also either Acacia or Mimosa, also grow these unique yellow ovoid shaped packages which serve only the purpose of being a protein and calorie-rich portion of food, which the ants take and feed from, and IIRC, even tuck into a pouch under the jaws of their larvae, these energy-costly food-packets are produced specifically for the benefit of the ants, for their protection of their living space, their physical bodies, and the role of the ants as a private army, of swarming, stinging, biting vicious little bastards with a hair trigger of a temper.

As for medicines, of course, the plants do not produce medicine for us, but as they say, the dose, maketh the poison, the same principle can act in reverse. What is poison in excess, can serve as the antithesis of the action of either another poison, or the action of a disease upon the body. An excessively fast, weak heartbeat for example, can be remedied with the use of cardenolide or bufadenolide glycosides, known commonly as cardiac glycosides, for their effect in both slowing the rate of the heart, whilst strengthening its force. Cardenolides, in plants are the more common of the two, both are steroidal in structure, whilst with one exception bufadienolides are produced only by animals, the exception being the squills, the best known being Scilla maritima, the sea squill or maritime squill, a hyascinth-looking plant, with a large bulb, this is used in small amounts as a cough remedy (even now, its a component of Gee's linctus, an over the counter (in the UK) cough mixture based upon tincture of opium, and a little squill tincture, along with something fiery tasting, capsicum extract perhaps, and something treacly, the squill is harmless at the consumption level of a couple of bottles, I've used it before, quite a few times, for while OTC it actually contains enough opium tincture to be quite potent. Its old fashioned, and these days quite hard to find, I only know two pharmacies in the city that stock it, at least of any I have ever been into, one near me and the other in the city center, the nearer one is erratic in stocking it, whilst the other place usually does)

The squill, in larger amounts, surprisingly, contains bufadienolide type cardiac steroidal glycosides, which normally are produced by animals alone, toad venom, most usually, whilst the cardiac steroids of plants are otherwise exclusively those of the cardenolide type. The most well known source of them, are plants of the genus Digitalis, the foxgloves. Others include oleanders (extremely poisonous, a couple of leaves being sufficient if consumed to kill a man, people have even died from both burning the wood and being in the area of the smoke, or from using its wood as a skewer to cook food), pretty, but lethal; and there are many others, often used as arrow poisons, Strophanthus, an african tree, contains a medley of cardenolides, and is used to poison arrows or darts intended for taking down large animals, the dart poison being highly lethal, but because it is a glycoside, it is rendered harmless by cooking, not all glycosides are, but the nature of the glycoside class of chemicals, is that of an alkaloidal backbone, bonded to a sugar moiety of various natures, each according to its kind, and they are thermally unstable, the sugar group cracking off when heated as in cooking, so the hunters just cut out the area the projectile itself penetrated for good measure, and cook their dinner, so too, it is with the infamous Upas tree, Upas antiaris, containing another cardiac glycoside.

In the case of antiarin, the glycosidic toxin, a mere scratch from the wood of the large tree can kill within moments, it is used for both hunting and warfare, applied to darts or arrows, apparently, it used to, at least, be the case that the condemned criminal alone, was to harvest the poison, such was its fearsome reputation that they approached only with the wind blowing away, and that it was believed so frightfully toxic that so much as breathing the air from around the tree would kill, and that no plant would thrive beneath its trunk. The toxic exhalation part at least, is legend, although exclusion of light by virtue of Upas being such a large tree, native to java, possibly sumatra, IIRC, is not surprising if it excludes plants from growing immediately underneath.

IIRC this is the cardiac glycoside-bearing tree that a specific type of highly heat-resistant palm leaf is used to prepare the poison from, the sap being evaporated down with extreme delicacy, for the palm species in question can resist extreme heat, the natives, with similar great care, taste a tiny  amount of the poison, and if it tastes sweet, it has been 'overcooked' and quite useless. This is due to its nature as a glycoside, the toxicity is utterly dependent upon the glycosidic bond of its backbone to the sugar rhamnose, and in the heat, if this breaks down, the rhamnose is lost, and freed, and as it is a sugar, it tastes sweet. So the taste-test, albeit something I'd sooner not try doing, is accurate. Not bad organic chemistry for jungle tribesmen without so much as a vacuum pump to their name.

Other examples of poison made medicine (and cosmetic in this case), would be the famed belladonna, Atropa belladonna, a plant favouring calcareous soils, with wide, lanceolate tipped leaves, and which produce a large berry, perhaps 3/4 of an inch around, a little smaller perhaps when mature, starting green, and turning a deep deep purple, almost black and full of juice, the pulp being filled with little seeds, no more than 1.5mm or so in diameter and bearing, when mature at least, small pitted indentations, the seeds of the common variety being of a black color with a quite silvery cast to them, there is a variety, or subspeqies, I know not whether it qualifies as a distinct subspecies, or just a variant, I have seeds for both although I have yet to germinate them, its quite difficult. The variant is white of seed, and creamy colored in their bell-shaped flowers. The commoner variety has purple, drooping, bell shaped flowers.

A very attractive plant. However the entire plant contains a variety of tropane alkaloids (tropane being the name for the chemical N-Methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]octane although I'll link to the wikipedia on it for those of us who are not great with chemical nomenclature, but roughly put, it is a cyclic (connected in a ring) 8-carbon (nine, if you include the N-methyl group but this isn't part of the octane ring) chain, with an unusual bridged structure, making it a 3D structure when drawn on paper, the carbon bridgehead being a secondary amine, with a carbon from each side of the bridge connected to an amino nitrogen atom.

Tropane derivatives are very common amongst the Solanaceae, the nightshade family, of which belladonna (italian meaning 'beautiful lady', because the alkaloids it contains are potent anticholinergics, of the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors group of ACh receptors, and these, cause massive dilation of the pupils, among other effects; so fashionable italian ladies used to drop the juice of the berries into their eyes, to do this, because it was thought beautiful at the time, although needless to say, fucking with deadly nightshade without knowing exactly what you are doing, is a dangerous affair indeed, although I have used it, most carefully weighed, in the form of the dried leaf or seeds, as a remedy for nausea when no other was to  hand, although the amount is small, and I do know what I am doing with herbs and medicinal fungi, which to use, why and how to use them, and which never to so much as contemplate taking internally, and those to take neither internally nor externally.)

Tropanes also, are to be found in coca plants, Erythroxylon coca, E.novogratense and relatives, the plants which, to the delight of many, the misery of some, and the unbridled fury of governments the world over, overtly, whilst their spook clades trade it on the sly, contain cocaine, and its biosynthetic precursors and degradation products. Both the atropine, scopolamine (now better known as hyoscine, as in the IBS remedy buscopan, which is hyoscine butylbromide, hyoscine, derivatized to make it a quaternary ammonium salt, which bears a permanent positive charge, that serves to prevent its being uptaken past the blood-brain-barrier, so its effects are peripheral only, that prevents another side effect of toxic levels of antimuscarinic compounds such as the anticholinergic types of tropane derivative, delirium, a psychotic, nightmarish hallucinatory delirium, which apparently causes near universally a horror trip, and occasionally sends people going completely batshit, including one I read of, who hijacked a cruise liner and went joyriding and shouting tirades of the most abject, hilarious insanity)

The nightshade type tropane alkaloids, block muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, the result of a small dose, is remediation of nausea, less salivation and sweating, as well as dilation of the pupils (they can also be used locally applied to paralyze the cilliary musculature of the eyes, preventing accomodating of the pupil during medical procedures performed upon the eye, I've had such treatment after I got blasted in the face with boiling hot corrosive alkali slops)

A toxic dose, causes pupil dilation, the heart rate is screwed with, drymouth, lack of sweating, all secretions are dried up, urinary retention occurs, and delirium, the patient losing all contact with reality. They cause true hallucinations, unlike the drugs commonly known as hallucinogens, which do not actually cause one to lose contact with reality, the tropane poisons literally cause true hallucinations, where the patient believes what they see to be reality and cannot no matter what, tell any of them from reality.

These plants are sometimes used in initiation rituals in various tribes, some used them as punishment for unruly kids, using Datura species, now and again through history, for offing people other people didn't like very much, and too often, kids without access too proper psychedelics abuse them, although the dividing line between a delirious nightmare trip inducing dose and one that kills, is thin, and the alkaloid content of the different nightshade-type plants also varies, not just from plant to plant, but season to season, the different parts of the plant, the area they grow,  so you have a damn fine tightrope to walk if you try that sort of thing.

However, their antimuscarinic effect is put to many medical uses, eye surgery and aftercare, cardiac medicine, and also as part of the autoinjector devices issued to troops at risk of facing chemical warfare, these contain two chemicals as a combi-injector, sort of like an epi-pen, that just has to have the cap taken off and the right end stabbed into a muscle, one half is an oxime compound like obidoxime, or the earlier pralidoxime, which reacts with organophosphorus nerve agents to dephosphorylate the poisoned acetylcholinesterase enzyme (acetylcholinesterase is an enzyme which hydrolyzes acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. There are two major families of cholinergic receptor for this neurotransmitter, muscarinic, named for muscarine, first found in the fly agaric mushroom (an atypical psychotropic mushroom, and in small quantities, and in either case when subjected to a heat-curing process to break down a neurotoxin, as an excellent condiment for meat, red meat especially, and in particular, beef. I had it on my steak supper last night, mixed in with my custom blend of spices and herbs), although the muscarine levels are so tiny as to be inconsequential in Amanita muscaria, the fly agaric (y'know, the one with the red cap, white gills and stem, white warts on the cap and usually a little gnome with a fishing rod sitting on the top :autism: ), which acts as an agonist of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, the opposite effect to the nightshade tropane toxins.

The other being the nicotinic ACh receptors, acetylcholine is the natural neurotransmitter for both, these two are the major two families, whilst each have subtypes, all bind acetylcholine. Once it binds to the receptors, it is then broken down by acetylcholinesterase. Nerve agents, such as sarin, tabun, soman (G series agents) GV (a hybrid between G and V type agents no surprise there) and V agents such as VX, the most well known of them, and VR, an isomer of VX, of russian design, and again of russian design, the novichok agents (russian, meaning 'newbie' or 'newcomer'), latest generation in nerve agents, and the most toxic, either novichok-5 or novichok-7 being perhaps ten times as lethal as VX on a weight basis (dermal exposure lethal dosage of VX, is perhaps ten milligrams);  they block acetylcholinesterase, causing spontaneous, repetitive firing of cholinergic receptors of both types, causing hypersecretion of fluid on the muscarinic side, that fills the airways and causes one to drown in their own fluid, whilst on the nicotinic side, there are both types in the brain, which when overactivated in this way, cause seizures, as well as these caused more directly by the action on muscle, for muscle activation is caused by binding of acetylcholine to nicotinic receptor subtypes specific to the neuromuscular junction, it binds, activates the muscle contraction, and then acetylcholinesterase chews it up and shits it out, deactivating the muscular contraction.

Poisons (and surgical tools) like curare (curare itself, the arrow/dart poison, a paralytic agent acts as a non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocker, the non-depolarizing bit means it does not first act as an agonist at neuromuscular junction nicotinic ACh receptors, causing repetitive firing until the muscles can fire no longer, most neuromuscular blocking agents used medically are of the non-depolarizing type, the main exception being the depolarizing neuromuscular blocker succinylcholine, that mimics acetylcholine but cannot be hydrolyzed, causing first spontaneous repetitive contractions and then muscular exhaustion within moments, and as it cannot be degraded by acetylcholinesterase, stays there, preventing the muscle from 'recharging' and becoming able to fire again)

The nerve agents, on the nicotinic side, are depolarizing type, although without directly binding to receptors, but blocking the enzyme which degrades acetylcholine, causing IT to behave in a manner akin to a depolarizing neuromuscular blocker, as well as powerful muscarinic agonist of all subtypes.

The nerve agent combi-pen combines a physical reversal agent, the oxime compound, with atropine, the poison from the nightshades (or at least, one of them, they have quite the slew of tropane alkaloid poisons in them), the atropine acts to save your life on the short term, preventing you from drowning in your own blood plasma, whilst the oxime goes about its work dephosphorylating the acetylcholinesterase which has been attacked and phosphorylated by the nerve agent (although reportedly, the novichok agents were designed to be immune to oximes, and also, conventional organophosphorus nerve agents 'age', whereby the poisoned enzyme undergoes a rearrangement, IIRC, although its a while since I read up on the transition states of the nerve agent-acetylcholinesterase transition states, phosphorylating a serine residue within the enzyme where it then becomes invulnerable to oximes. They do so at different speeds, unconnected with the lethal acute dose, for example, the V agent VX takes 24-48 hours to become irreversible with oximes, and by weight takes less to kill you than does the G series agent soman, but if you don't get the oxime agent within ten minutes, with soman, its complex with cholinesterase has aged, and cannot be dephosphorylated with the oxime antidotes. Treatment is supportive only, and chances are, one is, in a word, fucked.

While atropine doesn't prevent the paralysis and failure of breathing that the nerve agents cause, it does keep you alive long enough for the oxime to work. And for supportive further treatment.

The nightshades sure didn't intend for their products to cure soldiers or civilians poisoned by nerve agents, they evolved these chemicals to kill predators.

Kill, or cure? for the most part, its a matter of both dose, and intention. Curare is a puzzle to me, since it is active only if it enters the bloodstream. If given orally, it is without effect, assuming there be no lesion, cut etc. within the areas of your insides that it contacts. On the tip of a blowgun dart, its near enough as quick as a bullet, well, sort of, it paralyzes within moments, and then you suffocate to death. Or if you are the monkey in a high tree that happens to find itself on the other end of a hunter's blowpipe, then probably break your neck when you drop like a stone.

If you'd like me to go further into such things, feel free to ask, likewise any specific queries. I am quite well up on toxicology and medicine. If you've heard of it, I can probably explain its MO, if you have never heard the likes, be it from the desert or the ocean, the jungle or anywhere in between, I've probably a good idea. Metals, inorganic and organic natural/synthetic toxins, ants, spiders, scorpions, bacterial toxins, plants, fungi, marine dinoflagellates and toxic fish...I've gotcha.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »
I wish I got you to write my essays at uni.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »
Why? I thought you were taking a computer course. Unless you are seriously, seriously pissed with your tutor of course, but I didn't think that counts for extra credit under 'extracurricular activities'. At least, not unless you can fake his signature on the papers :autism: