Author Topic: What did you do before you had meds?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What did you do before you had meds?
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »
Interesting note - the further south you go, the stricter they are about dispensing pseudoephedrine or other stimulants. Florida was a nightmare, even to get my methylphenidate prescription filled. I was treated with suspicion at every pharmacy I tried. In Massachusetts no questions were asked. In MA, I found ephedrine at 7-11. In Florida no ephedrine anywhere. Luckily I still have a stock of Bronkaid. In Canada they don't have the long acting version of pseudoephedrine, but the short acting is sold on the shelves with no ID required. I haven't looked for Bronkaid equivalents yet.

Whereabouts in Massachusetts?  Just asking out of ... scientific curiosity.  :kapkao:
The more relevant question may be when.  They did start carding for cold medicine at some point within the last decade-ish.

That's true, I have to show ID before buying my Robitussin DM!  :beer:
I had to show ID the last time I bought fucking compressed air.  And yes, it was because of fear of huffing.  This, in a town where people are dropping like flies form heroin use.   :facepalm2:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
Interesting note - the further south you go, the stricter they are about dispensing pseudoephedrine or other stimulants. Florida was a nightmare, even to get my methylphenidate prescription filled. I was treated with suspicion at every pharmacy I tried. In Massachusetts no questions were asked. In MA, I found ephedrine at 7-11. In Florida no ephedrine anywhere. Luckily I still have a stock of Bronkaid. In Canada they don't have the long acting version of pseudoephedrine, but the short acting is sold on the shelves with no ID required. I haven't looked for Bronkaid equivalents yet.

Whereabouts in Massachusetts?  Just asking out of ... scientific curiosity.  :kapkao:

Curious my a$$, we all know what you're cooking.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »

Fixed your link.  :angel:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »

The more relevant question may be when.  They did start carding for cold medicine at some point within the last decade-ish.

I had to show ID the last time I bought fucking compressed air.  And yes, it was because of fear of huffing.  This, in a town where people are dropping like flies form heroin use.   :facepalm2:

We do what we can to save whomever we can.  :police:

People forget.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:12 AM »

Sometime back in the 2000s. When I found the Bronkaid I stopped looking. It was the 7-11 just outside of Amherst, can't remember the route number.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »

Holy crap. Is that really a drug?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
Looks like meth to me.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
The kind in Breaking Bad.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »
Looks like meth to me.
It looks like pop rocks.  :orly:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

I never watched the show, but I googled it and evidentially the show made it hip and trendy to put blue in real meth.  :lol1:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »
Last night we left at 8:20 PM for our trip to the U.S.

Py says it was like night and day, the difference. I was ready when she got home from work and almost had her dinner ready on time. There was no panic and I packed a small bag, my back pack and computer case. We had groceries in one bag and the computer in the other. I forgot only one thing that we didn't need to go back for, and we got to the hotel by 9:40 PM with no fighting. They could not find a cart for us but there were so few bags that we just carried them up on our own.

The last time we went for a weekend we needed one of those carts - I had a huge suitcase plus several smaller bags, my computer case and backpack, and a picnic cooler. Nonetheless I had forgotten things and had to buy them here. My life before meds was full of backup items and contingency plans. This time I just packed what I needed and left.

I was off meds for about 6 months - that was how long it took for things to go the way of Algernon.

It takes about a year for things to really kick in and change but so far so good. By contrast, when I was still well medicated, I went to take care of my father for 6 weeks. I packed my computer and one carry on bag. From here I am still not sure how I did that, but I had everything I needed.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »

I never watched the show, but I googled it and evidentially the show made it hip and trendy to put blue in real meth.  :lol1:

Why not?!  Don't you have a TV?!  You must watch it, you must!   :GA:

People forget.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Disease?

Sorry, i'm worn down, definitely the wrong word  :autism: 

I'm pretty skeptical about 'ADHD' though, or 'ODD'.  The health service here definitely hands out drugs way too easily, let alone how it is in the US.

They don't hand them out as easily here, it would seem. I've had trouble with some doctors not wanting to prescribe them to me.

The problem here seems to be that people equate ADHD meds with drugs, which they aren't.

That's a good thing, they should be the last resort.  I think if you've tried every other option and literally cannot cope, then you shouldn't be made to wait. 

A different type of drug i'd say.

Would you have diabetics test every other option before giving them insulin?

The medical industry knows far more about diabetes and insulin, than it does with mental illness and 'anti-depressants'.

So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work? And since when are we discussing mental illnesses and antidepressants? Moving the goalposts much?

You were the one who brought up diabetes, when we were discussing 'ADHD'!!   :facepalm2:

"So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work?"  That would kind of help.  Especially when it's regarding a 'condition' we don't know much about or if it even exists.

ADHD is not a mental illness and we were not discussing antidepressants. It's obvious that you don't believe the condition exists, but it's to be expected. You are the village idiot and expected to act like one. A bit of target practice but not something I'd have a serious discussion with. That bit is best left to the grown-ups.

As an aside, there are quite a few meds out there given to people because they do work, but where the how is still unknown or debated. These include both new meds and existing ones, like those with an accepted off-label use. Google is your friend.

I never said it was a mental illness.  I called it an alleged "disease", but admitted it was the wrong word to use.  We weren't discussing diabetes either, but you felt like bringing it in out of nowhere and are oblivious to your hypocrisy.  You're acting like a child right now, trying to exclude opinions you disagree with, and resorting to insults because you cannot stick to the discussion, so in fact it is you who isn't capable of serious discussion.  Your stance is that you must believe exactly what we are told and take the drugs we are told to take for conditions etc that we don't even know exist.  Totalitarian states love people like that. 

Placebos have worked in some cases.  You do understand how important it is to be skeptical about medication and alleged illnesses when big drug companies are so corrupted and profit orientated? 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »

Why not?!  Don't you have a TV?!  You must watch it, you must!   :GA:

Our TV is so big it's asinine.  :orly:

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »
"So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work?"  That would kind of help.  Especially when it's regarding a 'condition' we don't know much about or if it even exists.

They don't know why/how meds work for lots of things. If all meds that are not understood are skipped, there will be plenty of people in agony. Not only because of neurological and mental problems.

I never said they should be skipped in all cases, i'm just saying people should be skeptical or at least open minded when it comes to conditions that might not even exist.  We don't know what kind of damage could be caused by some child with behavior problems prescribed drugs that are making drug companies billions. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/health/the-selling-of-attention-deficit-disorder.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry: