Author Topic: I am cowardly posting this anonymously  (Read 1368 times)

Smeggy

I am cowardly posting this anonymously
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
a long while ago I went to a social gathering where an autism expert was, this person has done  talks and written books on AS availiable at amazon.com, yet they would not deign to speak to me.  Wouldn't mind but I was the only person that they did not talk to and was intrested in everyone else, aksing them questions etc.  upset me a bit
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 12:42:40 PM by Smeggy »

thepeaguy

Re: I am cowardly posting this anonymously
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
a short while ago I went to a social gathering where an autism expert was, this person has done famous talks and written books on AS availiable at amazon.com, yet they would not deign to speak to me.  Wouldn't mind but I was the only person that they did not talk to and was intrested in everyone else, aksing them questions etc.  Even though they tlak about nothing but autism and i have worked with autistic people in the past, they are not intrested and I am the only person they would never initiate contact with.  feel a bit upset and I don't know where it leaves me, I think I have tourettes and social phobia (maybe OCD aswell), but not AS.  I'm not loud and social enough to have AS.

Both social gatherings and autism advocates are crap. You're better off without them.

They're too busy rimming other people's arses to sell their precious paperback copies of their dribble.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:23:58 PM by Eamonn! »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »
Who was this expert?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »

Seems this is one of those questions that answers itself, no?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »
Really? I must be a bit daft, then. ???
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 05:30:22 PM »

a short while ago I went to a social gathering where an autism expert was, this person has done famous talks and written books on AS availiable at amazon.com, yet they would not deign to speak to me.  Wouldn't mind but I was the only person that they did not talk to and was intrested in everyone else, aksing them questions etc.  Even though they tlak about nothing but autism and i have worked with autistic people in the past, they are not intrested and I am the only person they would never initiate contact with.  feel a bit upset and I don't know where it leaves me, I think I have tourettes and social phobia (maybe OCD aswell), but not AS. I'm not loud and social enough to have AS.

I could be interpolating a tad, but I have often missed a chance to talk to a celebrity by not being pushy, demanding, forceful enough or willing to beat back those who were. There have even been times when i missed out, that I thought I had been forceful and, upon reflection, it seemed as if I really wasn't in the same league as the ones who "got the ball".

Put a big impressive camera in my hands, though, and I can out-arse most of them. A camera is like my "Shields up. Full impulse power" command and I will have predominance over mortals. That's just me. Everyone needs to find their own "Shields".

You can't always get what you want by fishing with bait. You sometimes must use a spear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 05:36:59 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
if they wouldn't talk to you then that means that they were attracted to you.  possibly they wanted to have sex with you.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
Hey, DirtDawg, I was just wondering who the autism expert was, not why NN here didn't get to meet the expert. This latter one seems obvious enough, as you rightly pointed out.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
Sorry, Odeon. :laugh:

I was, at first, answering the thread in a general way, then trying to support my projection. That second post may have been an AS-type thing.

:hide:

I'm still curious to know who the rude autism expert was, who would effectively ignore a member of his/her audience. How about a follow-up post Smeggy guest?

Capish, paison?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 07:38:31 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
I'm curious to know who the rude so-called expert was too.

How expert can they have been to ignore you like that, Smeggy?

Litigious

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 03:59:01 AM »
Lorna Wing? Uta Frith? Christopher Gillberg? I know a Swedish AS girl who wrote a letter to Gillberg and never got any response, though they live in the same city.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 06:59:23 AM »
Well that was rude of them.  However I would like to point out that often people very knowledgable about a subject, are not necessarily good at working with it.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:29:48 AM »
Lorna Wing? Uta Frith? Christopher Gillberg? I know a Swedish AS girl who wrote a letter to Gillberg and never got any response, though they live in the same city.

Or maybe Ali G's cousin, watsisname? Baron-Cohen?

Gillberg's supposed to be a nice guy, though. Did she have the right address? They do reply at BNK, but it usually takes some time.

- Albert Einstein

thepeaguy

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »

Lorna Wing, after what she has said? Bwahahaha!

Fat chance, Aspie.

Litigious

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

Gillberg's supposed to be a nice guy, though. Did she have the right address? They do reply at BNK, but it usually takes some time.

As far as I know, the adress was right. I know they say he's a nice guy; in fact, my mother works together with his sister-in-law or something. She says he's nice; kind of aspie-like himself.