Author Topic: Drnk post  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Minerva

• Rookie (be kind to me)
    • When Squirrels Attack
Drnk post
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:14:44 AM »
I am sick of  (in certain sectors of the autistic community, but not all)-

The implication that simply because I am autstic, I am "designed" to communicate better with fellow autistics. This has not happened to me, and I never ended up being a long time friend to someone sharing my disability. I am not a fucking alien, I consider myself a goddamnn human being first, everyhing else is secondary.

I fucking hate any implication that there is a black and white "NT" verses autistic divide. We're all fucking human, and human beings are by nature social animals with few exceptions, we all overlap. To say that only so-called "NTs" are group-thinking people is bullshit, I've seen the same type of idiocy in autistic communities, if anything, the desire to asociate and identify with a particular group says so much about how fucking human and "tribal affiliated" oriented we rea;lly are are. We scream social animal, neurobio-disorder not. Sure, there is no doubt some processing differences between autistic and normitice brains, but it doesn't mean we're a fucking different species.

Sooner or later, I'll make a longer post in an actual blog of mine over this, but as the point I'm trying to make, we're fucking social animals, and some of the idiocy coming from some autisitc community/s exemplify this. Perhaps one day i'll take a sociolbiology sequence that'd study this type of matter...

Anyway, before I leave for erhaps even more drnking, i want to say i've been through alot of shit with people too but...

oh fuck it, I'll be back when I sober up. Before I leave though, I just want to say its nice to see some sane voices, wether or not this community is going downhill or anything.

Thank you for any toleration of my whining. Just lurking is a breath of fresh air, I feel less alone.
You will die like a dog for no good reason.

Ernest Hemingway

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
Re: Drnk post
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:19:52 AM »
Welcome to Intensity2 that is where We All belong. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »
Believing ASD people to be like a different species, i think, is just a fun myth to believe in when you are new to learning about ASD.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »
post drunk drunk psot

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:31:01 AM »
Technically we can't be a different species if we can still fuck NT's and have children with them.  But that definition is kind of flakey because it would be impossible for the first new species to find a compatible mate, and shit like that.

But in a general unofficial sense, we could be called a different species or a subclass to NT's.  But it would be more widely accepted that we have inherited unusual(but still of the same species) alleles which cause various parts of ASD to be expressed in us.

But a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  The alleles which cause ASD to be expressed may eventually become more different from "normal" human alleles and more prevalent, and we could be the ancestors of a more obviously different species to humans.  But it is more likely since A) we have no isolation from normals, and B) most of our traits are not conducive to reproduction, that we will simply get absorbed into the rest of humanity.  And our children will be a little aspie and a little normal, until it finds a happy medium.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:55:26 AM »
I haven't actually studied autism, I have only observed people in the chat room, and in the forum.  There seems to be a few dozen qualities that are more or less present in ASD people than normal people.  And these qualities differ greatly from ASD to ASD.  I am not sure how many there are, and which are the most common, but I get the impression there are a lot of them, which accounts for the great variety between ASD people.  And I don't think they are immediately intuitive, just as many of humans actual skills are not intuitive.

Some ASD people can interact better with other ASD people, but I believe that is mostly a lucky coincidence, plus the fact that ASD's beyond a certain threshold in some of the qualities don't usually make it to the forum or into chat rooms.

The most classically autistic people tend to get along extremely poorly with other ASD people because both tend to be impatient and believe their view on reasonable is the wiser one, and the other person is being foolish and unreasonable.

Flo is the most autistic fucker on this site and he gets along with us about as well as Black Flies do on my neck.

I think the reason that ASD people get along so well in most of the cases they do, is because they share their misery.  I have found shared misery to be an excellent way to make friends.

And it sort of make sense that to such a loney character, someone else mentioning the same difficulties gives a sense of unification and belonging.

We've talked about group-think in the WP chat room before, and I vaguely recall people demonizing NT's for being group-think drones, and I was highly amused how many people worked together describing how NT's are group-thinking drones.

Reminded me of an anger management class I took once, where the teacher told everyone to write down the best ways to solve a disagreement, and he let everyone figure out their own groups, and I just sat back and watched everyone fight like hell. 

That is not to suggest that I am somehow exempt from group think.  It just happens to be part of one of my primary fascinations.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
Believing ASD people to be like a different species, i think, is just a fun myth to believe in when you are new to learning about ASD.

It's like the stages of acceptance people go through when they're part of two different cultures (according to my adolescent psych textbook, don't kill me if it's wrong):

-Preencounter, you adopt the norms of the majority and reject those of the minority
-Encounter, you're part of the majority but feel left out/different
-immersion, you associate only with the minority and rjeect the majority (ex WP, some people here, etc.)
-emmersion- you understand the importance of both
-internalization- you accept both
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »
post drunk drunk psot
Still drunk post this post.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »
I am sick of  (in certain sectors of the autistic community, but not all)-

The implication that simply because I am autstic, .....

..... I feel less alone.

Very astute, Minerva, especially for a Drnk post. I agree with most of you said, although I am less social and less sociable than many people. Even associating falls onto some spectrum, somewhere, I think.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:13:44 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
I am not as social an animal as most other humans. Which is why I don't say as much as most do.

Those who are more like me aren't particularly obsessed with forming or maintaining communities, Aspie-centric or otherwise, nor care much about meeting or speaking with other Aspies. I largely lurk at the communities I am part of, posting when I find it worth doing so; how often depends on the community in question. This one was rather interesting for a while, though it has gone downhill since. It doesn't seem to get much worse, though; it will probably either recover relatively (beginning within a couple of months) soon, or fade away slowly.

Eamonn

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
This place was the dogs bollocks when i was running it. It's gone WAAAAAAAYYYYYY downhill since then but i got bored with the impertinent whining of the masses and went on to pastures greener, spending my time more constructively than addressing you shower.

duncvis

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 12:22:15 PM »
Don't feel you need to keep wasting your time here on our account when you could be rearranging your bollocks.

Eamonn

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Don't feel you need to keep wasting your time here on our account when you could be rearranging your bollocks.

Dont be impertinent!  I'm here because i want to and because of peegai and mcj would be lost without me.

duncvis

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
I'm sure they'd cope, irresistible though you are. Haven't you got a case of Tennent's to finish or summat?  :eyebrows:

Eamonn

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »
I'm drinking Carlsberg. That's gratitude for ya, despite my unmeasurable invaluable contribution to Intensity i'm now seen as unviable? Well i got news for you buster, i'll come and go as i please or my name aint Nathan Arizona!