Author Topic: Guilt.  (Read 2009 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Guilt.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
Ah, the 'mainly women' I put in here was more because at the place where I work, almost all employees are women. At the other location, same firm, it is the other way around. No real idea about the lunch conversations and weirdness there. Heard some things, but don't know from my own observations.

Maybe the revelling in guilt also works as a confirmation magnet. Hoping to trigger responses telling them they are not that bad.
 :apondering:

And now I think of Semi. Semi should apologise for being absent without giving a life sign for so long.  :M

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »
Maybe the revelling in guilt also works as a confirmation magnet. Hoping to trigger responses telling them they are not that bad.
Maybe that's it, like people who constantly put themselves down so people will give them compliments to the contrary, or maybe some people simply enjoy pity.

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Strikes me that marketing is mostly about playing on people's feelings of inadequacy to sell shit - you do want to be as thin, as stylish, as successful, as good a lover/parent/golfer etc as the next person who DOES use our product don't you? Don't let your self/goldfish/kids/boss/neighbours/deity down. Basically encouraging people to feel shit about themselves so they can feel better by buying temporary happiness, and encouraging others to buy into the same bollocks - they must be weird if they don't see anything wrong with eating what they like or staying in bed on a saturday instead of working overtime to save up for a better lawnmower. Media worship of poxy 'celebrities' feeds the industry - and then people internalise it and parrot it back at each other. Its all cynical shit but it really fucks people up IMO.
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
Strikes me that marketing is mostly about playing on people's feelings of inadequacy to sell shit - you do want to be as thin, as stylish, as successful, as good a lover/parent/golfer etc as the next person who DOES use our product don't you? Don't let your self/goldfish/kids/boss/neighbours/deity down. Basically encouraging people to feel shit about themselves so they can feel better by buying temporary happiness, and encouraging others to buy into the same bollocks - they must be weird if they don't see anything wrong with eating what they like or staying in bed on a saturday instead of working overtime to save up for a better lawnmower. Media worship of poxy 'celebrities' feeds the industry - and then people internalise it and parrot it back at each other. Its all cynical shit but it really fucks people up IMO.

Ain't that the truth!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »
So useful for so many things, guilt. No wonder it's everywhere.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
Guilt is a powerful tool for controlling people.

Most religions use guilt...Catholics are born feeling guilty. :zoinks:
Guilt is used as a marketing tool, they use guilt in school, at work, and at the doctors office...and how many parents I see that are pros at giving guilt trips to their kids.

Never understood it, and never will.

"I don't feel guilt. Whatever I wish to do, I do."
~Jeanne Moreau~

One of the people with too much sense of guilt I know, she became religious later, to save herself from all the bad and all the guilt. Worked for a little while, then it hit her again, now also in the religious realm, where she had felt safe.

Looks like it is something some people are susceptible to, and others are not.

Maybe the ones feeling guilty all the time are also the ones that are better at guilt tripping. And thus pass the sense of guilt to their offspring. :apondering:

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
Every one is guilty of all the good they tried to do and that did not turn out completely right.  :M

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
The human capacity for guilt is such that people can always find ways to blame themselves.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
What's that crap?

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
My female bio-progenitor was a superb travel agent for guilt trips.   >:D
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 08:19:47 PM »
:gopher:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 04:30:24 AM »

The moment I heard "If this doesn't touch your heart, you probably need to see your doctor immediately" I stopped watching. The BLERGH factor had gone too high.

I'm kind a sensitive.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
Other part of guilt that intrigues me. Someone goes to a doctor, and cannot be fixed, that is clear. (Works in mental and physical issues). There is no fix, but there is treatment to alleviate and to learn how to live with that there is.

And then, since there is no cure, and the problems don't disappear, the patient finds fault and guilt with the people treating him or her. The medications don't work, there is not offered enough time to help, all that.

Not talking about meds that really are wrong, or help that really is ineffective; then you do have to complain and take action. But some people will find fault with every treatment, because it does not bring them total relief or perfection. And then the others are to blame, when perfection or cure was never what was offered.