Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • The member temporarily known as GLF
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
[
Ooh . So...it's actual;ly only Jack who's being partisan and insensitive  :green: .   Damned yanks.  >:D

No I'm not being partisian or insensitive.  >:( If you took the time to read the google text, or even my reply to you, you would understand today is Veterans day in the US, and it's not about honoring the dead. Memorial day is for the dead, and Goodle doesn't do a doodle for US memorial day either, just a little ribbon under the google search for Memorial Day, JUST LIKE THE POPPY!!

Oops our replies are seriously crossing.
But hey, my PS was supposed to be a joke. I thought I put enough silly smilies in there to make that clear? It just struck me that you'd inadvertertly done the very thing i was blaming on Google !  But given that you actually are American, and given this is just a teeny tiny little site, it's a whole lot more understandable, no biggie.   So, I tried to turn my misplaced bitch into a joke.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • I'm a gopher, bitches. Write that down.
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
[
Ooh . So...it's actual;ly only Jack who's being partisan and insensitive  :green: .   Damned yanks.  >:D

No I'm not being partisian or insensitive.  >:( If you took the time to read the google text, or even my reply to you, you would understand today is Veterans day in the US, and it's not about honoring the dead. Memorial day is for the dead, and Goodle doesn't do a doodle for US memorial day either, just a little ribbon under the google search for Memorial Day, JUST LIKE THE POPPY!!

But hey, my PS was supposed to be a joke. I thought I put enough silly smilies in there to make that clear? It just struck me that you'd inadvertertly done the very thing i was blaming on Google !  But given that you actually are American, and given this is just a teeny tiny little site, it's a whole lot more understandable, no biggie.   So, I tried to turn my misplaced bitch into a joke.

Things like the poppy for remembrance day, and the ribbon for US memorial day aren't doodles, so they're not on the doodle website. There's only three different Google doodles in the world today, so Google actually did make doodle today for the US and not for other countries. Veterans Day is to honor all military service people, so it's different than Remembrance Day or Memorial Day. I do think Google doodles appear partisan to the US, because it seems like there are many more US doodles than any other given country. I don't know if that's because Google is an American company, or if people in the US just care more about submitting doodles to Google.
:gopher:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #407 on: November 11, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
[

Things like the poppy for remembrance day, and the ribbon for US memorial day aren't doodles, so they're not on the doodle website. There's only three different Google doodles in the world today, so Google actually did make doodle today for the US and not for other countries. Veterans Day is to honor all military service people, so it's different than Remembrance Day or Memorial Day. I do think Google doodles appear partisan to the US, because it seems like there are many more US doodles than any other given country. I don't know if that's because Google is an American company, or if people in the US just care more about submitting doodles to Google.
Interesting.  Thanks :)
oh! and btw, my joking about was my way of saying "NP. please don't take it personally" , thinking that you otherwise might.  Shoulda just said "NP. please don't take it personally" shouldn't t I?  :LOL:. That one seriously backfired.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #408 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
keep going , Gopher! you've   got a lot more countries to get through yet.   :evillaugh:

It was kind of the point from the beginning, hoping other people would post doodles I don't see in the US. :dunno:

Sometimes I see Google Doodles that are purely American inspired like Thanksgiving and I assume other countries don't see that, and I wonder if people in other countries get to see Google Doodles I don't get to see.

Don't you foreigners have any Google doodles?  >:(

Excuse the crap out of me for trying to start a cool new topic that's relevant to everyone and get people to share stuff without me having to search every day to find out what google looks like in other countries. I guess people can just talk about the weather instead.  >:(

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #409 on: November 11, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks :)
oh! and btw, my joking about was my way of saying "NP. please don't take it personally" , thinking that you otherwise might.  Shoulda just said "NP. please don't take it personally" shouldn't t I?  :LOL:. That one seriously backfired.

You should know by now, my frowny face is grumpy and adorable.  >:(

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #410 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
keep going , Gopher! you've   got a lot more countries to get through yet.   :evillaugh:

It was kind of the point from the beginning, hoping other people would post doodles I don't see in the US. :dunno:

Sometimes I see Google Doodles that are purely American inspired like Thanksgiving and I assume other countries don't see that, and I wonder if people in other countries get to see Google Doodles I don't get to see.

Don't you foreigners have any Google doodles?  >:(

Excuse the crap out of me for trying to start a cool new topic that's relevant to everyone and get people to share stuff without me having to search every day to find out what google looks like in other countries. I guess people can just talk about the weather instead.  >:(

Ummmmm *hangs head in shame* I think I musta missed those particular posts. Prolly coincided with one of my long absences?
Nowww...what are other folk's excuses, then  ? Let's be hearing them!  :MLA:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #411 on: November 11, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
I've been posting in this thread for over two years, so I guess I don't mind that much. Just expect US doodles from me, unless I happen to see another one I like while looking up the details of a US doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #412 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:43 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is the 131st Anniversary of the Hole Puncher.

It’s a familiar scene with a familiar tool: the gentle rat-tat-tat on the table as you square up a dangerously thick stack of papers, still warm from the printer. The quiet anticipation and heady uncertainty as you ask yourself the ultimate question: can it cut through all this? The satisfying, dull “click!” of the blade as it punches through the sheets. The series of crisp, identical holes it produces, creating a calming sense of unity among an otherwise unbound pile of loose leaf. And finally, the delightful surprise of the colorful confetti byproduct – an accidental collection of colorful, circular leftovers.

Today we celebrate 131 years of the hole puncher, an understated – but essential – artifact of German engineering. As modern workplaces trek further into the digital frontier, this centuries-old tool remains largely, wonderfully, the same.

Doodle by Gerben Steenks

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
We have two hole punchers. One regular store bought one, and one heavy duty one that Kayleigh nicked from uni years ago.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
We used to have some fun shape ones a long time ago. I don't even know if we have a regular one anymore.   :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #415 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Chinua Achebe’s 87th Birthday.

“Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.”

One man took it upon himself to tell the world the story of Nigeria through the eyes of its own people. Chinua Achebe (born Albert Chinualumogu Achebe) was the studious son of an evangelical priest. A student of English literature, he started writing in the 1950s, choosing English as his medium but weaving the storytelling tradition of the Igbo people into his books.

His characters were insiders — everyday people such as the village chief (in Things Fall Apart), the priest (in Arrow of God), or the school teacher (in A Man of the People). Through their stories, we witness a Nigeria at the crossroads of civilization, culture, and generations.

His pen brought to life the land and traditions of the Igbo: the hum of everyday village life; the anticipation and excitement of sacred masquerades; the stories of the elders and the honor of warriors; the joy of family and the grief of loss.

Considered by many to be the father of modern African literature, Achebe was awarded the Man Booker Prize in 2007. Surrounded by iconic images of his most famous literary works, today’s Doodle celebrates his legacy on what would have been his 87th birthday.

Daalụ nke ukwuu, Chinua Achebe!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Pedro Infante’s 100th Birthday.

What’s in a name? If nicknames count, the answers are infinite for beloved Mexican singer and actor Pedro Infante. Often compared to Frank Sinatra, Humphrey Bogart, and Elvis Presley, the artist’s monikers — from "El Rey de Rancheras" to "El ídolo de Guamúchil" to "El Inmortal" — illustrate his myriad talents and enduring charm.

Born in 1917 in the fishing town of Mazatlán, Infante apprenticed to a carpenter and learned music from his father. Though deft at many instruments (he even crafted his own guitar), his voice was his most exceptional talent. As part of his father’s band, “La Rabia” in his teenage days, Infante experimented with the style that made him most famous. Mixing feeling with technique, his soulful croon forever changed the way the mariachi was sung and he helped popularize the genre around the world.

But singing was just the first act in Infante’s story. In 1943 he starred in "La Feria de las Flores," and also created his first musical record, "El Soldado Raso." This marked the beginning of a 14 year career in which Infante acted in nearly 60 films and recorded 366 songs, becoming one of the most prominent and loved figures in "La época de Oro del Cine Mexicano" (the Golden Era of Mexican cinema).

As today’s Doodle shows, Infante’s passions went beyond stage and screen, though they often appeared intertwined. An avid boxer off-camera, Infante stepped into the ring for 1953’s "Pepe El Toro," one of his most iconic roles. In "A Toda Máquina," Infante played the part of a motorcycle cop, dignifying the profession and immortalizing high-speed “acrobacias” — a sequence of dizzying, two-wheeled pirouettes that are still performed in many of Mexico’s parades and civil events today.

Infante was posthumously awarded a Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 7th Berlin International Film Festival for his performance in "Tizoc," his last film. Today we celebrate what would have been the artist’s 100th birthday with scenes illustrating the vibrant parallels between his life and work — all beginning with a classic Infante pose.