Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20093 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
[
Ooh . So...it's actual;ly only Jack who's being partisan and insensitive  :green: .   Damned yanks.  >:D

No I'm not being partisian or insensitive.  >:( If you took the time to read the google text, or even my reply to you, you would understand today is Veterans day in the US, and it's not about honoring the dead. Memorial day is for the dead, and Goodle doesn't do a doodle for US memorial day either, just a little ribbon under the google search for Memorial Day, JUST LIKE THE POPPY!!

Oops our replies are seriously crossing.
But hey, my PS was supposed to be a joke. I thought I put enough silly smilies in there to make that clear? It just struck me that you'd inadvertertly done the very thing i was blaming on Google !  But given that you actually are American, and given this is just a teeny tiny little site, it's a whole lot more understandable, no biggie.   So, I tried to turn my misplaced bitch into a joke.

Things like the poppy for remembrance day, and the ribbon for US memorial day aren't doodles, so they're not on the doodle website. There's only three different Google doodles in the world today, so Google actually did make doodle today for the US and not for other countries. Veterans Day is to honor all military service people, so it's different than Remembrance Day or Memorial Day. I do think Google doodles appear partisan to the US, because it seems like there are many more US doodles than any other given country. I don't know if that's because Google is an American company, or if people in the US just care more about submitting doodles to Google.
:gopher:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
[
Ooh . So...it's actual;ly only Jack who's being partisan and insensitive  :green: .   Damned yanks.  >:D

No I'm not being partisian or insensitive.  >:( If you took the time to read the google text, or even my reply to you, you would understand today is Veterans day in the US, and it's not about honoring the dead. Memorial day is for the dead, and Goodle doesn't do a doodle for US memorial day either, just a little ribbon under the google search for Memorial Day, JUST LIKE THE POPPY!!

Oops our replies are seriously crossing.
But hey, my PS was supposed to be a joke. I thought I put enough silly smilies in there to make that clear? It just struck me that you'd inadvertertly done the very thing i was blaming on Google !  But given that you actually are American, and given this is just a teeny tiny little site, it's a whole lot more understandable, no biggie.   So, I tried to turn my misplaced bitch into a joke.

Things like the poppy for remembrance day, and the ribbon for US memorial day aren't doodles, so they're not on the doodle website. There's only three different Google doodles in the world today, so Google actually did make doodle today for the US and not for other countries. Veterans Day is to honor all military service people, so it's different than Remembrance Day or Memorial Day. I do think Google doodles appear partisan to the US, because it seems like there are many more US doodles than any other given country. I don't know if that's because Google is an American company, or if people in the US just care more about submitting doodles to Google.
Interesting.  Thanks :)
oh! and btw, my joking about was my way of saying "NP. please don't take it personally" , thinking that you otherwise might.  Shoulda just said "NP. please don't take it personally" shouldn't t I?  :LOL:. That one seriously backfired.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #407 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
keep going , Gopher! you've   got a lot more countries to get through yet.   :evillaugh:

It was kind of the point from the beginning, hoping other people would post doodles I don't see in the US. :dunno:

Sometimes I see Google Doodles that are purely American inspired like Thanksgiving and I assume other countries don't see that, and I wonder if people in other countries get to see Google Doodles I don't get to see.

Don't you foreigners have any Google doodles?  >:(

Excuse the crap out of me for trying to start a cool new topic that's relevant to everyone and get people to share stuff without me having to search every day to find out what google looks like in other countries. I guess people can just talk about the weather instead.  >:(

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #408 on: November 11, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks :)
oh! and btw, my joking about was my way of saying "NP. please don't take it personally" , thinking that you otherwise might.  Shoulda just said "NP. please don't take it personally" shouldn't t I?  :LOL:. That one seriously backfired.

You should know by now, my frowny face is grumpy and adorable.  >:(

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #409 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
keep going , Gopher! you've   got a lot more countries to get through yet.   :evillaugh:

It was kind of the point from the beginning, hoping other people would post doodles I don't see in the US. :dunno:

Sometimes I see Google Doodles that are purely American inspired like Thanksgiving and I assume other countries don't see that, and I wonder if people in other countries get to see Google Doodles I don't get to see.

Don't you foreigners have any Google doodles?  >:(

Excuse the crap out of me for trying to start a cool new topic that's relevant to everyone and get people to share stuff without me having to search every day to find out what google looks like in other countries. I guess people can just talk about the weather instead.  >:(

Ummmmm *hangs head in shame* I think I musta missed those particular posts. Prolly coincided with one of my long absences?
Nowww...what are other folk's excuses, then  ? Let's be hearing them!  :MLA:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #410 on: November 11, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
I've been posting in this thread for over two years, so I guess I don't mind that much. Just expect US doodles from me, unless I happen to see another one I like while looking up the details of a US doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #411 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:43 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is the 131st Anniversary of the Hole Puncher.

It’s a familiar scene with a familiar tool: the gentle rat-tat-tat on the table as you square up a dangerously thick stack of papers, still warm from the printer. The quiet anticipation and heady uncertainty as you ask yourself the ultimate question: can it cut through all this? The satisfying, dull “click!” of the blade as it punches through the sheets. The series of crisp, identical holes it produces, creating a calming sense of unity among an otherwise unbound pile of loose leaf. And finally, the delightful surprise of the colorful confetti byproduct – an accidental collection of colorful, circular leftovers.

Today we celebrate 131 years of the hole puncher, an understated – but essential – artifact of German engineering. As modern workplaces trek further into the digital frontier, this centuries-old tool remains largely, wonderfully, the same.

Doodle by Gerben Steenks

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
We have two hole punchers. One regular store bought one, and one heavy duty one that Kayleigh nicked from uni years ago.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
We used to have some fun shape ones a long time ago. I don't even know if we have a regular one anymore.   :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #414 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Chinua Achebe’s 87th Birthday.

“Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.”

One man took it upon himself to tell the world the story of Nigeria through the eyes of its own people. Chinua Achebe (born Albert Chinualumogu Achebe) was the studious son of an evangelical priest. A student of English literature, he started writing in the 1950s, choosing English as his medium but weaving the storytelling tradition of the Igbo people into his books.

His characters were insiders — everyday people such as the village chief (in Things Fall Apart), the priest (in Arrow of God), or the school teacher (in A Man of the People). Through their stories, we witness a Nigeria at the crossroads of civilization, culture, and generations.

His pen brought to life the land and traditions of the Igbo: the hum of everyday village life; the anticipation and excitement of sacred masquerades; the stories of the elders and the honor of warriors; the joy of family and the grief of loss.

Considered by many to be the father of modern African literature, Achebe was awarded the Man Booker Prize in 2007. Surrounded by iconic images of his most famous literary works, today’s Doodle celebrates his legacy on what would have been his 87th birthday.

Daalụ nke ukwuu, Chinua Achebe!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Pedro Infante’s 100th Birthday.

What’s in a name? If nicknames count, the answers are infinite for beloved Mexican singer and actor Pedro Infante. Often compared to Frank Sinatra, Humphrey Bogart, and Elvis Presley, the artist’s monikers — from "El Rey de Rancheras" to "El ídolo de Guamúchil" to "El Inmortal" — illustrate his myriad talents and enduring charm.

Born in 1917 in the fishing town of Mazatlán, Infante apprenticed to a carpenter and learned music from his father. Though deft at many instruments (he even crafted his own guitar), his voice was his most exceptional talent. As part of his father’s band, “La Rabia” in his teenage days, Infante experimented with the style that made him most famous. Mixing feeling with technique, his soulful croon forever changed the way the mariachi was sung and he helped popularize the genre around the world.

But singing was just the first act in Infante’s story. In 1943 he starred in "La Feria de las Flores," and also created his first musical record, "El Soldado Raso." This marked the beginning of a 14 year career in which Infante acted in nearly 60 films and recorded 366 songs, becoming one of the most prominent and loved figures in "La época de Oro del Cine Mexicano" (the Golden Era of Mexican cinema).

As today’s Doodle shows, Infante’s passions went beyond stage and screen, though they often appeared intertwined. An avid boxer off-camera, Infante stepped into the ring for 1953’s "Pepe El Toro," one of his most iconic roles. In "A Toda Máquina," Infante played the part of a motorcycle cop, dignifying the profession and immortalizing high-speed “acrobacias” — a sequence of dizzying, two-wheeled pirouettes that are still performed in many of Mexico’s parades and civil events today.

Infante was posthumously awarded a Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 7th Berlin International Film Festival for his performance in "Tizoc," his last film. Today we celebrate what would have been the artist’s 100th birthday with scenes illustrating the vibrant parallels between his life and work — all beginning with a classic Infante pose.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thanksgiving 2017.

Unlike his domesticated brethren, the Turkey in today’s Doodle is taking flight…from the Thanksgiving table.

Three hundred ninety-six years ago, the Pilgrims celebrated their first successful harvest with Native Americans of the Wampanoag tribe. As time flew by, feasts like these became beloved traditions that flocked through the colonies, and in 1863, Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday.

Though the pardoning of turkeys has been a presidential privilege since 1989, the Turkey in this Doodle has decided to pardon itself. Luckily, there are plenty of mashed potatoes to go around.

Happy Thanksgiving 2017!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Gertrude Jekyll’s 174th Birthday.

If not for legendary horticulturist and garden designer Gertrude Jekyll, the world might be a much drabber place. Born in London on this day in 1843, Jekyll spent most of her life in Surrey, England, on her family’s estate, Munstead House. Later, she moved into her own house, Munstead Wood, where she planted one of her most enchanting gardens.

A woman of innumerable talents, Jekyll was also an accomplished musician, composer, woodworker, metalworker, and botanist. Her foundation as a budding artist greatly influenced her breathtaking creations. As a student, she took inspiration from the landscapes of English Romantic painter J.M.W. Turner, capturing the seasons, the light, the textures, and the hues of every growing thing on her canvases. Jekyll brought that painterly sensibility to her life’s work, designing about 400 gardens in the United Kingdom, Europe, and the U.S., which were documented in photographs, over a dozen books, and thousands of magazine articles.

Today’s Doodle was created by British artist Ben Giles. Giles unites the hot and cool colors the horticulturist favored to create a lush and brilliant garden collage. From the corner of the illustration, Jekyll watches her garden grow.

Happy 174th birthday, Gertrude Jekyll!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #418 on: December 04, 2017, 06:14:26 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating 50 years of Kids Coding.

Today, during Computer Science Education Week, we celebrate 50 years since kids programming languages were first introduced to the world with a very special creation (and furry friend): our first ever coding Google Doodle! Today’s Doodle was developed through the close teamwork of not one or two but THREE teams: the Google Doodle team, Google Blockly team, and researchers from MIT Scratch!

To learn more about the history and importance of kids coding languages, we invited Champika Fernando, one of the project’s most passionate collaborators at MIT, to share her thoughts:

My first experience with coding was in a free after-school program back in the eighties when I was nine years old. We programmed a little green turtle to move around and draw lines on a black screen. That programming language was called Logo.

In the 1960’s, long before personal computers, Seymour Papert and researchers at MIT developed Logo - the first coding language designed for kids. With Logo, children could program the movements of a turtle, giving them the opportunity to explore ideas in math and science. Papert and his colleagues envisioned that computers could eventually be used by all children as a powerful tool for learning. They saw coding as a way for kids to develop confidence and fluency with a piece of powerful, modern, and one-day ubiquitous technology.

With today’s Doodle -- the first coding Doodle ever -- we celebrate fifty years of coding languages for kids by “Coding for Carrots.” In the interactive Doodle, you program and help a furry friend across 6 levels in a quest to gather its favorite food by snapping together coding blocks based on the Scratch programming language for kids.

Like Logo, Scratch was developed at MIT and builds on Papert’s early ideas about kids and computers. It’s designed to be less intimidating than typical programming languages, but just as powerful and expressive.

Kids programming on computers must have sounded futuristic and impractical in the 1960’s when Logo was first created. In fact, even in the 1980’s when I wrote my first lines of code, my working-class parents questioned how coding would ever benefit their nine-year-old daughter.

Today, computers are used in almost every aspect of our lives. We have them in our homes, at work, and in our pockets. My early experiences with computers gave me confidence that I could create with new technologies, not just interact with them. Those early experiences not only influenced my career path, but provided me with new ways to express my ideas and influence the world around me.

After working as an engineer at Google for some time, I now work on the Scratch Team at MIT, where we’re focused on developing new ways for kids to express themselves creatively through coding. With Scratch, kids can create their own interactive stories, games, and animations, using coding blocks just like the ones in today’s Doodle. They can also share their projects in an online community with millions of other kids around the world. We believe all kids should have the opportunity to develop their confidence with the technology that surrounds us.

This week, millions of people around the world can and will have their first experience with coding. It makes me happy to think of all of the nine-year-olds who will get their first coding experience playing with today’s Doodle. My hope is that people will find this first experience appealing and engaging, and they’ll be encouraged to go further. In some ways, it’s very different from my first coding experience many years ago, but I hope it will be just as inspiring and influential for them.

Champika Fernando, Director of Communications, Scratch Team

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #419 on: December 27, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Marlene Dietrich’s 116th birthday

Born Maria Magdalene Dietrich in Berlin on this day in 1901, Marlene Dietrich lit up the silver screen during Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Dietrich rocketed to international fame from the moment she appeared in her breakout role as cabaret singer Lola-Lola in Germany’s first talking picture, Der Blaue Engel (1930) and its English version, The Blue Angel. The actress crossed the Atlantic soon after its premiere, continuing to work with Blue Angel director Josef von Sternberg in a string of memorable Hollywood films, including Morocco, Shanghai Express, and The Devil Is a Woman.

But Dietrich was more than a femme fatale with an unforgettable voice. Ever the risk-taker, she turned pat notions about femininity upside down, donning a tuxedo and top hat in her part as a sultry nightclub dancer in Morocco, and wearing men’s silk suits offscreen. A U.S. citizen as of 1939, she captivated World War II troops as a USO entertainer and was awarded the U.S. Medal of Freedom and French Légion d'Honneur for her wartime work.

Dietrich’s Doodle was illustrated by artist Sasha Steinberg who captured her mid-performance, suited up in her gender-bending tux and top hat. Steinberg, who is also a drag performer under the name Sasha Velour and winner of RuPaul's Drag Race (Season 9), counts Dietrich as a major influence in creating their drag alter ego.

“She was a wild original!” says Velour. “Despite the pressures of the time, she followed her own course, especially in terms of politics and gender. As a drag queen, that's particularly inspiring to me. Plus, she just had this power to her...in every role she's mysterious and strong, brilliant. That's what I aspire to be when I step on the stage.”

Happy 116th birthday, Marlene!