Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20472 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Yeah, I think the hiphop one was shown everywhere.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2017, 04:23:01 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Great American Eclipse 2017.

Skywatchers on the American continent today are in for a special astronomical treat: front row seats to a total solar eclipse. An eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the earth, blocking the light of the sun from reaching us.

While eclipses aren’t rare, a total eclipse, when viewers from Earth are at the very center of the moon’s shadow, only happens once every 18 months. To see one requires you to be in just the right place on earth, and a total eclipse in the same location only happens every 375 years on average.

It’s been 99 years since a total eclipse crossed the width the United States. This year, the 65-mile wide path of totality with sweep, sash-like, across the country—entering the map at Oregon and exiting at South Carolina. The once-in-a-lifetime spectacle will attract an estimated 7.4 million people to areas in the path of totality, including so-called eclipse-chasers, who plan for years in advance and travel from far and wide to get a glimpse of the stellar phenomenon.

No matter where you are in the country, if you plan to look at or even toward the sun, be sure to protect your eyes. According to experts, only those in the path of totality are safe to look at the eclipse without protection, and only during totality.

To learn more about solar eclipse science, you can click beyond the Doodle to Google Search and get some fun facts courtesy of our friendly space aliens. You can learn about a crowd-sourced photo project to capture images of the eclipse as it traverses North America even follow NASA’s live, streaming video of the event. 

Visit timeanddate.com to learn more about how the eclipse will appear in your location. Happy viewing, skywatchers!

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:13 AM »
Aww, that is a cute animation. I still don't get the tiny moon shadow thing that appears on the Earth though, as shadows don't work like that with a distant object. I mean, are those images just to describe the position of the moon on the Earth, or does it really cast an accurate tiny moon shadow?
:dog:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »

There was me thinking it was a solar eclipse.

But it was Great America disappearing from sight.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »

There was me thinking it was a solar eclipse.

But it was Great America disappearing from sight.

This is no time for jealousy.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »
Aww, that is a cute animation. I still don't get the tiny moon shadow thing that appears on the Earth though, as shadows don't work like that with a distant object. I mean, are those images just to describe the position of the moon on the Earth, or does it really cast an accurate tiny moon shadow?

Here's a map with no tiny moon shadow things, if that makes you feel better.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #381 on: September 04, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Labor Day 2017 (United States)

On the first Monday in September in the US, family and friends gather together to celebrate the unofficial end of summer with barbecues, parades, and picnics. It's a welcome day off from school or work for most, but the holiday has more serious roots. After a railway worker strike in the 19th century, Labor Day was created to honor workers and give them a day of rest. It became a federal holiday in 1894.

Inspired by vintage WPA (Works Progress Administration) murals created during the Great Depression, today’s Doodle pays tribute to all types of work.

Happy Labor Day!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
In other parts of the world, Google is celebrating the trololo guy.  :lol1:

Eduard Khil’s 83rd Birthday

On this day in 1934, Eduard Anatolyevich Khil was born in Smolensk, Russia. Though famous in his sunset years for the viral YouTube comeback clip that tickled Western fans with its melodious “tro-lo-lo-ing,” the Soviet-era singer (aka “Mr. Trololo”) had made his mark decades earlier in his homeland.

After training at the Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory (now the Rimsky-Korsakov St. Petersburg State Conservatory), Khil earned his bona fides as a pop singer, racking up numerous awards, including the distinguished People’s Artist of Russia in 1974. A 1976 TV performance of “I Am Glad Because I Am Finally Returning Back Home,” featuring Khil’s now-legendary “tro-lo-lo-ing” vocalization, first appeared on YouTube in 2009. It rocketed the baritone crooner to internet (and meme) fame by 2010. Khil discovered that he was an internet sensation after he heard his grandson humming the song!

Today’s Doodle is an animation of that viral “Trololo” clip. Khil takes the stage in a drab brown suit and mustard-colored tie and happily breaks into his signature “tro-lo-lo-ing,” his expressive eyebrows dancing to the beat. A round of applause for “Mr. Trololo” on what would have been his 83rd birthday!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:03:14 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
When I first saw the Saruman version of that, I cracked up. It was hilarious!!

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »
They're showing the trololol doodle in the US today.  :orly:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Samuel Johnson’s 308th Birthday.

If you wanted to know what the word 'lexicographer' means today, you might Google it. If you fancy a throwback however, you might grab a dictionary. Today’s Doodle celebrates the 308th birthday of British lexicographer – a person who compiles dictionaries – Samuel Johnson.

Samuel Johnson published A Dictionary of the English Language in 1755 after 9 years of work. It was described as “one of the greatest single achievements of scholarship,” and had a far-reaching effect on modern English. It was “colossal” at nearly 18 inches tall! Johnson’s was the premier English dictionary until the publication of the Oxford English Dictionary 150 years later.

Johnson was also a poet, essayist, critic, biographer and editor. Johnson’s dictionary was more than just a word list: his work provided a vast understanding of 18th century's language and culture. His lasting contributions guaranteed him a place in literary history.

Today we pay homage to this pioneer lexicographer who dedicated years to his craft.

Doodle by Sophie Diao

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
It was “colossal” at nearly 18 inches tall
Really like books like that, books so large and grand they need their own podium stand. Had a book like that growing up, minus the podium stand. Not a dictionary, but a single volume encyclopedia.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Amalia Hernandez’s 100th Birthday.

Today’s Doodle celebrates dancer and choreographer Amalia Hernandez. She founded the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico and used it to share Mexican culture with the world.

Born in 1917, Hernandez developed a passion for performing and dance early in life. She became a choreographer at the Fine Arts National Institute, where she taught modern dance. She then turned her focus to traditional Mexican folk dances. She combined these dances with more choreographed movements from her formal training, helping to create an entirely new style of dance known as baile folklorico.

In 1952, Hernandez founded the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico. Beginning with just eight dancers, the troupe grew to over three hundred in the years to follow. The company performed on television for the first time in 1954, after which they were featured in a weekly broadcast. This success allowed Amalia’s group to tour North America and even represent Mexico in the Pan American Games in 1959.

The Ballet Folklorico de Mexico still performs to this day. Since its inception, the group has danced for more than 22 million people. Hernandez remained involved with the company until her death in 2000, working alongside her daughters and grandson.

Happy 100th birthday to Amalia Hernandez, remembered as an ambassador of Mexican culture whose legacy lives on through the Ballet Folklorico.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #388 on: September 22, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Fall Equinox 2017 (Northern Hemisphere)

Google has no comments for this doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #389 on: September 24, 2017, 04:21:45 AM »
^ I swear that GIF has been used before.