Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 24858 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2022, 03:20:26 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Father's Day 2022.

:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #766 on: June 20, 2022, 02:05:28 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Juneteenth 2022.

Today’s Doodle, illustrated by father-son artist duo Jerome and Jeromyah Jones, commemorates Juneteenth, an annual federal holiday that celebrates the liberation of Black enslaved people in the United States. On this day in 1865, over 250,000 enslaved people in Galveston, Texas received news of their freedom, marking the official end of the Civil War.

Although the Emancipation Proclamation was signed by President Abraham Lincoln in early 1863, many Black Americans were kept enslaved in the western-most Confederate states like Texas. General Granger, and his Union troops, marched to Texas and issued General Order No. 3, which announced the news of the Proclamation.

Upon hearing the news, former slaves became free Americans by executive decree, and many migrated north in search of new lives and in hopes of reuniting their families torn apart by slavery. In 1866, thousands traveled back to Galveston on June 19 in recognition of their newfound freedom, calling the gathering Jubilee Day. In 1872, when faced with backlash for their pilgrimage back to the island city, a group of Black Americans purchased 10 acres of land in Houston and named it Emancipation Park. It was devoted specifically as a Juneteenth celebration site and is still around to this day.

Juneteenth became an official state holiday in Texas in 1980. When Juneteenth was officially named a national federal holiday in June 2021, the city of Galveston dedicated a 5,000 square-foot mural titled “Absolute Equality” near the location where General Granger announced the news of freedom.

All throughout the country, Black Americans celebrate Juneteenth with parades, gatherings, and marches that honor the struggles of those who came before and the futures of those who continue to pave the way forward.  This year, Juneteenth falls on Father’s Day in the U.S. and today’s Doodle artwork pays homage to this bridge between multiple generations, exploring education, joy, community, and the meaning of emancipation.

Juneteenth is a holiday meant for remembrance and resilience, and a call-to-action for progress towards a more just, unified and equitable nation.

Happy Juneteenth!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #767 on: July 04, 2022, 06:19:00 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Fourth of July 2022

Happy Independence day, USA! On July 4, 1776, the delegates of the 13 colonies officially adopted the Declaration of Independence and ended British rule.

Many Fourth of July pastimes have emerged over the centuries—watching fireworks, attending baseball games and flying red, white and blue flags. But nothing seems quite as classic as a backyard barbecue, like the one in today’s artwork.

American barbecues date back to the early 19th century, when southerners commemorated the anniversary of independence with public celebrations and meals. Since the culinary method allowed for a large amount of food to be cooked at once, barbecues became a staple for outdoor gatherings where local farmers and community members donated meat for everyone to eat. When many Southern African Americans migrated to the north in the 20th century, they brought beloved barbecue recipes with them. Soon enough, barbecue restaurants spread across American towns, with each region having its own distinct style.

Today, millions of Americans meet up with loved ones around grills and barbecue pits to celebrate the fourth of July.

Happy birthday, America!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating the deepest photo of the universe ever taken!

A picture is worth a thousand worlds. Today’s Doodle celebrates the deepest infrared photo of the universe ever taken by NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope—also known as the JWST or Webb—a scientific phenomenon and one of the biggest engineering feats of humanity. It is the largest, most powerful, and most complex infrared telescope to ever be put into space—and the largest international space endeavor in history! Today, six months since take off, NASA released Webb’s first operational images unveiling new depths and worlds.

The JWST is named after NASA’s second administrator, James E. Webb, who led the Apollo missions that landed the first humans on the moon. The telescope was launched from the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, French Guiana on December 25, 2021 and took a month to reach its orbit at 1.5 million kilometers (940,000 miles) from Earth. The launch was made possible through the collaboration between NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA).

Thanks to images from the JWST, astronomers will now have the opportunity to study every phase of cosmic history, which spans a massive 13.5 billion years, and the mysteries beyond our galaxy. NASA aims to explore the early universe, multiple galaxies over time, the star life cycle and other worlds with Webb. The JWST will even be able to observe light from galaxies that formed 400 millions years after the big bang, and detect oxygen and organic molecules on other planets.

Long throughout history, humans have wondered, “How did we get here?” and “Are we alone in the universe?” The JWST will allow us to explore these questions and distant worlds that orbit other stars and study our solar system extensively, producing the sharpest infrared images ever taken by a space telescope. It will open the doors to more scientific breakthroughs in the future, shining a new light on space, time, and celestial bodies we’ve yet to discover.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #769 on: July 18, 2022, 10:38:10 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Oskar Sala’s 112th Birthday

Today’s Doodle celebrates what would have been the 112th birthday of Oskar Sala, an innovative electronic music composer and physicist. Recognized for producing sound effects on a musical instrument called a mixture-trautonium, Salas electrified the world of television, radio and film.

Sala was born in Greiz, Germany, in 1910 and was immersed in music since birth. His mother was a singer and his father was an ophthalmologist with musical talent. At 14, Sala began creating compositions and songs for instruments like the violin and piano.

When Sala first heard a device called the trautonium, he became fascinated by the tonal possibilities and the technology the instrument offered. His life mission became mastering the trautonium and developing it further which inspired his studies in physics and composition at school.

This new focus led Sala to develop his own instrument called the mixture-trautonium. With his education as a composer and an electro-engineer, he created electronic music that set his style apart from others. The mixture-trautonium’s architecture is so unique that it was capable of playing several sounds or voices simultaneously.

From behind the door of a recording studio, Sala composed musical pieces and sound effects for many television, radio and movie productions, such as Rosemary (1959) and The Birds (1962). The instrument created noises like bird cries, hammering and door and window slams.

Sala received several awards for his work—he gave many interviews, met numerous artists and was honored in radio broadcasts and movies. In 1995, he donated his original mixture-trautonium to the German Museum for Contemporary Technology.

Sala also built the Quartett-Trautonium, Concert Trautonium and the Volkstrautonium. His efforts in electronic music opened the field of subharmonics. With his dedication and creative energy, he became a one-man orchestra.

Happy birthday, Oskar Sala!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #770 on: July 26, 2022, 08:22:12 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Steelpan

Today’s Doodle, illustrated by Trinidad & Tobago-based artist Nicholas Huggins, celebrates the steelpan, a percussion instrument made of metal, created and influenced by Trinbagonians. It’s the only acoustic instrument invented in the twentieth century, but has origins dating back to the 1700’s. It was a staple during Carnival and Canboulay, the annual harvest festivals celebrated in Trinidad, and is still used in contemporary music. On this day in 1951, the Trinidad All-Steel Pan Percussion Orchestra (TASPO) performed at the Festival of Britain, introducing the steelpan and a new music genre to the world.

When enslaved Africans were brought to Trinidad by colonialists in the 1700’s, they brought over their African heritage and traditions of rhythmic drumming with them. When slavery was abolished between 1834 and 1838, Trinidadians joined in on Carnival festivities with their drums. However in 1877, government officials banned their drumming because they feared that the drumming would be used to send messages that would inspire rebellion. In protest of this ban, musicians started to pound tuned bamboo tubes on the ground as alternatives to mimic the sound of their drums. These ensembles were called Tamboo Bamboo bands.

Another ban came in 1930, when rival Tamboo Bamboo bands would cause disturbances during Carnival and other street festivals. These bands then looked to a new alternative to carry their rhythm: metal objects such as car parts, paint pots, dustbins, biscuit tins and thus the idea of the pan was born.

During World War II, Carnival was forbidden due to security reasons, and musicians began experimenting with the unique instrument to improve the sound quality. Overtime, dents were hammered into the surface of these objects, which played different notes depending on the size, position and shape. In 1948, after the war ended, the musicians switched to using the 55 gallon oil drums discarded by the oil refineries. In addition to changing the shape of the drum surface, they found that changing the length of the drum allowed complete scales from bass to soprano. This formed the basis for the modern version of the pan. The steelpan grew and developed into a legitimate instrument through the likes of pioneers and innovators such as Winston “Spree” Simon, Ellie Mannette, Anthony Williams and Bertie Marshall. Many of their innovations and techniques are still used today.

The steelpan is now the national instrument of Trinidad and Tobago, and is a source of great pride and true resilience for its citizens. Steelpans are now enjoyed in concert calls like Royal Albert Hall, Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and more. Whether in the UK or Japan, Senegal or the States, the steelpan is an internationally recognized instrument that reminds listeners of its island origins.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #771 on: July 31, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Pétanque

Today’s interactive Doodle game celebrates Pétanque, a beloved French outdoor game played around the world. Just click the Doodle to play a random match or challenge your friends!

Long before Pétanque became France’s go-to afternoon activity, Ancient Greeks played games tossing flat stones and eventually stone balls. After modifying the game by adding a target ball, Ancient Roman soldiers and sailors brought the game to France.

The modern game of Pétanque originated in 1907 in Provence, France when a local cafe owner adjusted the rules to accommodate a player whose rheumatism prevented him from running. With a reduced length of the field and a stationary toss, Pétanque spread quickly across the country.

The rules of the game are fairly simple: throw, toss, or roll your team’s metal boules closer to the target boule than the other team. Over a series of rounds, the first player or team to score thirteen points wins! The goal might sound simple, but players can use a number of tactics to gain an advantage over their opponent. “Shooting” is a popular strategy, often used at competitive levels, where players attempt to knock away an opponent's boule from the target.

Nowadays, Pétanque is more than just a leisure activity with friends—the game is played competitively at regional, national and international levels throughout the world. The best players attend showcase events like the Mondial La Marseillaise in France and the La British Open in England.

Click today’s Doodle and get the boules rolling!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #772 on: August 16, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Doodle for Google 2022 - US Winner.

“I care for myself by accepting others' care for me. Often I struggle to shoulder a burden on my own, and forget that I have so many people, like my mom, who care about me and want to help me. Opening up and letting others support me not only relieves my stress—it lets me tackle things I could never do on my own.”

Sophie’s Doodle was inspired by her relationship with her mother. During the pandemic, when isolation and loneliness started to get to her, Sophie was able to reach out to her mom and receive valuable support, comfort and encouragement. Sophie hopes her Doodle will remind people that they are not alone, even in the toughest of times.

As the U.S. 2022 Doodle for Google contest national winner, Sophie wins a $30,000 college scholarship and a $50,000 technology package for her school.

Cheers to Sophie! And thank you again to the thousands of students across the U.S. who shared their self-care strategies with us!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #773 on: August 23, 2022, 04:49:07 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Anna Mani's 104th Birthday

Today’s Doodle celebrates the 104th birthday of Indian physicist and meteorologist Anna Mani, one of the country’s first female scientists. Her life’s work and research made it possible for India to make accurate weather forecasts, and laid the groundwork for the nation to harness renewable energy.

Born on this day in 1918, Mani grew up in the former state of Travancore (present-day Kerala). She spent her formative years immersed in books. By age 12, Mani had read almost every book at her public library! She remained an avid reader all her life.

After high school, she did her Intermediate Science course at Women’s Christian College (WCC) and went on to complete a Bachelor of Science with honours in physics and chemistry from Presidency College, Madras. After graduation, she taught at WCC for a year and won a scholarship for post-graduate studies at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Here, under the guidance of Nobel Laureate Sir C. V. Raman, she studied spectroscopy, specializing in diamonds and rubies.

Between 1942 and 1945, she published five papers, completed her Ph.D. dissertation, and began a graduate program at Imperial College, London, where she learned to specialize in meteorological instrumentation.

She began working for the India Meteorological Department upon her return to India in 1948, where she helped the country design and manufacture its own weather instruments. She excelled so much in this male-dominated field that by 1953, she became head of the division. Under her leadership, more than 100 weather instrument designs were simplified and standardized for production.

Mani was also an early advocate of alternative energy sources. Throughout the 1950s, she established a network of solar radiation monitoring stations and published several papers on sustainable energy measurement.

Mani later became Deputy Director General of India Meteorological Department, and held several key positions in the United Nations World Meteorological Organization. In 1987, she won the INSA K. R. Ramanathan Medal for her remarkable contributions to science.

After her retirement, she was appointed as a Trustee of the Raman Research Institute in Bangalore. She also founded a company that manufactured solar and wind energy devices.

Happy 104th birthday, Anna Mani! Your life’s work inspired brighter days for this world.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #774 on: September 05, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Labor Day 2022.

Today’s Doodle celebrates Labor Day in the United States and Canada. The federal holiday honors the hard work and achievements of working people, and recognizes their immense contributions to society.

During the Industrial Revolution, many Americans arduous shifts, seven days a week to make a living. This led to the birth of the labor movement, as workers formed labor and trade unions to advocate for rights. Through strikes and rallies, they protested the dangerous working conditions, minimal breaks and poor pay.

The holiday originated in the late 19th century as the labor movement was gaining momentum across the U.S. On September 5th, 1892, the Central Labor Union organized a parade in New York City's Union Square—where thousands of workers took unpaid time off and gathered for the first unofficial celebration of Labor Day. After the Union Square parade inspired similar events across the country, the U.S. government officially declared the first Monday in September as a federal holiday in 1894.

People commemorate the holiday today with parties, picnics and vacations. While the three-day weekend is a chance for one last break before summer ends, it is also a reminder of how far our country has come in advancing workers’ rights. Thanks to all the past and current labor activists who have raised our nation’s standard of living!

Happy Labor Day to all!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #775 on: September 20, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is National Voter Registration Day 2022.

Today’s 2022 US National Voter Registration Day Reminder Doodle leads to a tool that will help you register in your state and get basic voter information ahead of the election on November 8th.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #776 on: October 11, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Tito Puente

In honor of U.S. Hispanic Heritage Month, we celebrate the life and legacy of American “Nuyorican” musician and internationally-renowned entertainer, Tito Puente. Today’s animated video Doodle is illustrated by New York-based Puerto Rican artist, Carlos Aponte. A multi-talented artist of Puerto Rican descent, Puente was a percussionist, composer, songwriter, recording artist, and bandleader. With a career spanning five decades, he is often referred to as “El Rey de los Timbales” and “The King of Latin music.” On this day in 2021, the Tito Puente Monument was unveiled in East Harlem, New York City.

Puente was born on April 20, 1923 at Harlem Hospital Center in New York City’s Spanish Harlem. He was surrounded by Puerto Rican, Cuban, and big band music growing up, and showed significant musical talent from an early age. He started his career as a drummer in his early teens and found his big break playing for Federico Pagani’s Happy Boys and Machito’s Orchestra. He served in the Navy during World War II, playing alto saxophone as the ship’s bandleader—along with over ten other instruments. He continued his studies at the Juilliard School of Music after the war.

He started his own band, the Tito Puente Orchestra, in 1948 and quickly earned a reputation for his performances that encouraged audiences to get on the dance floor. Puente was known for his awe-inspiring skills on the timbales (or timpani/kettledrums), as well as for the way he combined big band instrumentation and jazz harmonies with Afro-Cuban music. He recorded an astounding 118+ albums and is credited on dozens more—more than any other timbales bandleader to date. This journey began with Ran Kan Kan, his first professional track recording and the soundtrack of today’s Doodle.

Beyond the mambo movement, Puente experimented across other genres of Latin music such as the Boogaloo, Pachanga, and eventually Salsa. He was considered a musical pioneer for his creativity and experimentation, and is widely credited for popularizing Latin music in the United States. In 1969, he was awarded the key to New York City.

Besides the musical merits he received throughout his career, Puente was also deeply dedicated to creating opportunities for the Latin community. In 1979, he introduced a scholarship fund that supported promising, young Latin percussionists for over 20 years.

Puente’s success, presence, and musicality is widely known and respected to this day. After his passing, many waited in line for days to say their goodbyes. He was posthumously recognized at the first-ever Latin Grammy Awards, and the Harlem street where he grew up — E. 110th Street — was renamed Tito Puente Way to honor his life and legacy. 

“...Goza con los timbales…” Here's to you, Tito!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #777 on: November 01, 2022, 04:39:05 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Indigenous North American Stickball

In celebration of US Native American Heritage Month, today’s Doodle celebrates Indigenous North American stickball, a ceremonial sport invented by Native American tribes. The artwork was illustrated by Saint Paul-based artist, Marlena Myles who is a member of the Spirit Lake Dakota/Mohegan/Muscogee tribe.

Stickball is known as one of North America’s oldest team sports. Several Native American tribes such as the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Seminole and Yuchi were known to play. Elder tribal leaders often organized games of stickball to settle disputes without violence.

A Cherokee tale describes the first-ever Stickball game played between land animals and birds. The land animals, including a bear, deer and turtle, were overly confident and predicted they’d win through sheer strength. Meanwhile, the team of birds relied on flight, speed and cunning to outsmart and outmaneuver their opponents. In the end, the birds were victorious.

Stickball is played using sticks (varying in length), with a net on one end. Two teams try to pass and move the ball towards their opponent’s goalpost, and points are scored by touching or hitting said post. The most important rule: don’t touch the ball with your hands. To this day, various tribes continue to play their own versions of Stickball. The sport still follows its ceremonial traditions, and is a staple in Native American culture. A little known fact is that modern day field lacrosse actually originated from the game of Stickball, which is played widely today.

Today’s Doodle artwork focuses on telling the story of Stickball, blending traditions around the game and the modern way it is played. The style is inspired by traditional ledger art (narrative drawing or painting on paper or cloth) and intentionally includes women and men of various ages to portray the inclusivity of the sport. The art also depicts gameplay of three different versions of stickball, including the ceremonial pregame practice of sage smudging (an ancient Native American practice of burning dried plants) as seen in the “G” letter formation.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #778 on: November 02, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Day of the Dead 2022

Today streets pulse to Spanish folk songs as one of Mexico’s most important annual celebrations begins—Day of the Dead, or Día de los Muertos! Today, people in skeleton face paint pass by homes showcasing vibrant skulls made from sugar or clay. The Doodle artwork is crafted from real sugar to honor the tradition!

Day of the Dead traditions originated thousands of years ago from Indigenous cultures in Mexico. The Aztec and Mexica people believed the souls of the dead could visit the living, and each year they invited their loved ones to return home. The tradition is so meaningful that 16th-century Spanish settlers adopted the custom and turned it into a holiday.

On this day, Mexican families prepare to honor their loved ones by placing their photos on an ofrenda, or home altar, along with candles to help guide them home. Plumes of copal incense drift into the air as people invite their neighbors inside to admire the decorative altars. Friends share food like Pan de Metros, a mouthwatering round bread that represents the circle of life. It’s believed that the deceased first return to their graves, which are often decorated with bright marigold flowers and personal belongings.

Whether Mexicans are at home, the cemetery or a local parade, the day is filled with stories and laughter to commemorate loved ones and ancestors.

Happy Day of the Dead, Mexico!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #779 on: November 04, 2022, 06:25:13 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Jollof Rice

Today’s Doodle celebrates jollof rice, a quintessential West African dish simmered in reduced tomatoes, onions, peppers and regional spices. Nigeria-based guest artist Haneefah Adam  created the artwork and Senegalese jazz musician, Hervé Samb, created the soundtrack.

On this day each year, rice farmers plant and reap a bountiful harvest, and cooks across West Africa prepare to make fresh jollof. Also known as benachin and thieboudienne, jollof rice is a one-pot meal that originated from the Wolof tribe in the 14th century. The Wolof Empire, ruling parts of modern-day Senegal, The Gambia and Mauritania, popularized jollof throughout West Africa. 

Although jollof rice was traditionally cooked with fish for dinner, Africans today also enjoy this savory dish for breakfast and lunch, and often substitute fish with chicken, beef or goat.

Each country has added its own spin to the recipe and West Africans engage in humorous banter over who makes the best jollof. These friendly rivalries, known as the “Jollof Wars,” have become an African cultural phenomenon.

Nigerians and Ghanaians are particularly competitive over who makes the best jollof — and for good reason. There are distinct differences between the two cooking styles. For example, Nigerians use long-grain rice that absorbs more spices, while Ghanaians use basmati rice with a more aromatic flavor.

Who ultimately makes the best jollof? No one can say for sure. The only way to find out is to try as many varieties as you can!