Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20734 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #450 on: April 04, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Dr. Maya Angelou’s 90th Birthday.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

-Dr. Maya Angelou

In a life rich with experiences and stories, author, poet, memoirist, and activist Dr. Maya Angelou touched the lives of millions around the globe through her teachings, her writings, her voice, and her actions.

Born Marguerite Annie Johnson in 1928, her incredible story began with tragedy when a sexual assault at the age of seven rendered her mute for five years. During those years, however, books and poetry became her solace and constant companions, eventually helping her find her voice again to embark upon an intellectual and creative journey that defies description.

In her teens and early adult life Dr. Angelou saw more experiences than many do in a lifetime: from motherhood, to becoming San Francisco’s first female and black streetcar conductor, to touring the world as a cast member of the opera Porgy and Bess — all while mastering several languages. She sang and danced in professional cabarets, worked as a journalist in Africa, and became one of the most prominent civil rights activists of her generation.

The success of her first book, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” in 1969 brought her mainstream attention as an author. Six other autobiographical works followed, in addition to poetry, children’s literature, and non-fiction (even cookbooks!).

Through her works, Dr. Angelou gave a voice to millions. She championed women’s rights and gender equality. She redefined black beauty and celebrated African-American oral traditions. She advocated against war and campaigned for universal peace.

She was also the recipient of numerous honors during her lifetime. She became the first poet to make an inaugural recitation in three decades when Bill Clinton became President in 1992. Her vast impact on popular culture was also felt through a host of award nominations, public accolades, and more than 50 honorary degrees.

Today’s video Doodle celebrates Dr. Maya Angelou on what would have been her 90th birthday. Set to her poem “Still I Rise,” the Doodle includes her own voice along with the voices of other individuals whose lives she has inspired, and who aspire to live by her legacy today.
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is María Félix’s 104th Birthday

When an important Mexican filmmaker first approached Maria Félix about an acting career, she responded: “When I want to, it will be through the big door.” Félix would launch a film career on her terms, even turning down Hollywood magnate Cecil B. Demille to debut in her home country where she would become an icon of the Golden Age of Mexican cinema.

Born in 1914, Maria Félix grew up modestly in Álamos, Sonora, Mexico among 11 siblings. During her teen years, her family moved to Guadalajara where Félix was crowned Beauty Queen at the University of Guadalajara. She got her break after moving to Mexico City, starring in El Peñón de las Ánimas (1942). Her offscreen defiance of famous co-star Jorge Negrete earned her the reputation for toughness that followed her throughout her life and career.

Maria Félix’s contributions to international culture are prolific. In addition to releasing 47 films in Mexico, Spain, France, Italy, and Argentina, she was considered a muse by famous artists like José Clemente Orozco and Diego Rivera, novelists and playwrights like Jean Cocteau, Renato Leduc, and Carlos Fuentes, and musicians like Juan Gabriel and Francis Cabrel. She was also a fashion icon, wearing clothes and jewelry designed expressly for her by famous designers like Christian Dior and Cartier Paris.

Though her career started in Mexican cinema, Maria Félix’s impact on cinema, art, music, and fashion reverberates overseas, transcending barriers to establish her as extremely influential female voice in international cinema. Created by guest artist Paulette Jo, today’s Doodle captures the stunning movie icon’s portraiture.

Happy 104th birthday to Maria Félix, a cinematic pioneer!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Earth Day 2018.

“It is so important in the world today that we feel hopeful and do our part to protect life on Earth. I am hopeful that this Earth Day Google Doodle will live as a reminder for people across the globe that there is still so much in the world worth fighting for...With all of us working together, I am hopeful that it is not too late to turn things around, if we all do our part for this beautiful planet.”

- Dr. Jane Goodall

In 1970, 20 million Americans came together to deliver a message: our environment sustains us, and so we too must work to sustain it. Since then, Earth Day has spawned a movement of millions across the globe working towards a sustainable future. This day of solidarity sheds light on ways everyone can contribute to a better planet.

Today’s annual Earth Day Doodle was created in partnership with one of the planet’s most influential advocates: Ethologist (animal behavior expert), conservationist, activist, and animal-lover Dr. Jane Goodall, who has dedicated her life to studying and protecting our environment.

Born April 3, 1934, in London, England, Dr. Goodall always dreamt of living among wildlife in Africa. At 26, she followed her passion for animals and Africa to Gombe, Tanzania, where she began her landmark study of chimpanzees in the wild by immersing herself in their habitat as a neighbor, rather than a distant observer. Her discovery in 1960 that chimpanzees make and use tools rocked the scientific world and redefined the relationship between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. As a UN Messenger of Peace, Dame Commander of the British Empire, and Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute, Dr. Goodall travels the world nearly 300 days a year, speaking about the threats facing chimpanzees, environmental crises, and her reasons for hope.

In today’s Doodle, Dr. Goodall shares her personal message to the world on Earth Day 2018, including some of her inspiration and what we can all do to have a positive impact on our planet. She shares: “It is so important in the world today that we feel hopeful and do our part to protect life on Earth. I am hopeful that this Earth Day Google Doodle will live as a reminder for people across the globe that there is still so much in the world worth fighting for. So much that is beautiful, so many wonderful people working to reverse the harm, to help protect species and their environments. And there are so, so many young people, like those in JGI’s Roots & Shoots program, dedicated to making this a better world. With all of us working together, I am hopeful that it is not too late to turn things around, if we all do our part for this beautiful planet.”

About the Jane Goodall Institute

After discovering that the survival of the chimpanzee species was threatened, Dr. Jane Goodall founded the Jane Goodall Institute in 1977, which uses a breakthrough approach to species conservation that improves the lives of people, animals, and the environment by honoring their connectedness to each other. JGI continues the field research at Gombe, and builds on Dr. Goodall's innovative approach to conservation, education, and advocacy. In 1991, she created Roots & Shoots, JGI’s global youth program that guides young people in nearly 100 countries in becoming conservation activists and compassionate citizens in their daily lives.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #453 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Tamara de Lempicka’s 120th Birthday

"I live life in the margins of society, and the rules of normal society don't apply to those who live on the fringe."

-Tamara de Lempicka

Today’s Doodle celebrates Polish painter Tamara de Lempicka, who made a career out of subverting expectations and in doing so, developed her distinct style in the Art Deco era.

Born in Warsaw, Poland in 1898, Lempicka’s love for art started at an early age. As a young child, she spent a summer in Italy with her grandmother, who inspired her love for great Italian Renaissance painters. Upon her parents divorce, she was sent to live with her wealthy aunt in Russia. It was during this time that Lempicka was exposed to the lives of nobility as well as her future husband, Tadeusz Lempicki.

Shortly after their marriage, the Russian Revolution began and Lempicka, now a refugee, moved from St. Petersburg to Paris. It was there, at the height of post-cubism, where she began her formal artistic training under the influence of French painters Maurice Denis and André Lhote.

Internalizing her grandiose and decorative surroundings, Lempicka went on to produce exquisite tributes to the Roaring Twenties in her own unique way, utilizing a blend of late neoclassical and refined cubist styles in her art. Her affinity for the luxurious also led her to fixate on portraits of artists, stars, and aristocrats, which coupled with her considerable charm and exotic lifestyle, lit up the art world and social circles of the period.

Today’s Doodle by Doodler Matthew Cruickshank pays homage to Lempicka’s unique style. Cruickshank shares:

“Few artists embodied the exuberant roaring twenties more than Polish artist Tamara de Lempicka. Her fast paced, opulent lifestyle manifests itself perfectly into the stylized Art-Deco subjects she celebrated in her paintings. I first encountered Lempicka's work at her Royal Academy show in London, 2004. I was struck by the scale and skill of her paintings coupled with her life (as colorful as her work!). I chose to place a portrait of Lempicka in my design with accompanying motifs evocative of the roaring '20s and '30s. It's no easy feat to recreate any artists work - but I hope to have done so here.”

Happy 120th birthday, Tamara de Lempicka!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating James Wong Howe

Today’s Doodle in the US celebrates James Wong Howe (黃宗霑), the pioneering Chinese-American cinematographer who rose to fame in the 1930s and '40s for his innovative filming techniques.

We planned to run this same Doodle honoring James Wong Howe in the US last year. However, when Hurricane Harvey struck the southern United States, we withheld the Doodle from running nationally out of respect to the events and relief effort. Though we don’t usually run Doodles more than once, Howe left such a unique and indelible mark on American cinema that we decided to run the Doodle this year on the anniversary of the release of one of his most notable works, The Thin Man (1934) - and also just in time for Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month!

Born in Guangzhou, China, Howe immigrated to the U.S. when he was five years old and grew up in Washington state. He boxed professionally in his teens, worked odd jobs, then finally started in the industry by delivering films and picking up scraps from a studio’s cutting room floor.

Throughout his career, he used lighting, framing, and minimal camera movement to express emotion. He accidentally discovered how to use dark backdrops to create color nuances in black-and-white film. He pioneered using wide-angle lenses, low key lighting, and color lighting. Howe also made early use of the crab dolly, a camera dolly with four wheels and a movable arm supporting the camera.

In contrast to the success of his work life, Howe faced significant racial discrimination in his private life: he became a U.S. citizen only after the repeal of the Chinese Exclusion Act; due to anti-miscegenation laws, his marriage was not be legally recognized in the U.S. until 1948. Despite the barriers he faced, Howe retired with two Oscar awards as one of the most celebrated cinematographers of his time.

Special thanks to Don Lee, nephew of James Wong Howe, for his partnership on this project. Below, Don shares thoughts about his uncle:

I was eleven years old when I first met my uncle Jimmie, known to many as the cinematographer James Wong Howe. Even though I had never seen any of his films, I was in awe of him and his accomplishments. Upon meeting him, he quickly put me at ease with his warmth, humor, and tendency to be a jokester.

Two years later, my mother, sisters, and I traveled from Washington state to Hollywood to visit Jimmie and his wife, author-poet Sanora Babb. They embraced us as family. I’ll never forget our brief visit with them: we went to Disneyland, dined in Chinatown, watched home movies, and visited the sets of major studios. Several years later, I moved to Los Angeles to attend college. While there, I often spent time with Jimmie and Sanora at their home and got to know him as an avid reader and storyteller who loved dogs, baseball, golf, and most of all Sanora.

Pictured: James Wong Howe and Sanora Babb

Photo credit: Dorothy Babb

While Jimmie had a reputation for being very serious and dedicated, he was also known as a willing listener and collaborator with his peers. That’s how I most remember him. He encouraged me in my studies, introduced me to film students he was mentoring, and took my college friends and me out for Dim Sum in Chinatown and to Angels baseball games. Jimmie proved, over the time I knew him, to be a consummate artist, valued friend and affectionate uncle. He is, and will always be, very much a part of my life.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #455 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:47 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Garden Gnomes

Look amongst the greenery of Germany’s lush gardens and you might spot a red-capped gartenzwerg, or garden gnome. Today’s Doodle - just in time for Garden Day in Germany - celebrates these tiny statues for their big role in German history.

Gnome figures first appeared in 13th-century Anatolia and re-emerged in 16th-century Italy. The common garden gnome originated in 19th-century Germany from the mining area of Thuringia. Here, local craftsmen are given credit for hand-crafting the gnomes as we know them—with shaggy beards and pointy hats.

Propelled by local myths and increased leisure time, the gnomes began to find homes in gardens throughout the country. Legend has it they protect these gardens and bring good luck.

In today’s interactive Doodle, you’ll learn a bit more about how the humble gnome is made. Then, you’ll enlist a group of gnomes to help you decorate a garden of your own!

Here’s how the game works: Use your trusty catapult (or trebuchet to be precise) to launch your clay gnomes into the farthest reaches of your garden. The farther your gnome travels, the more flowers you plant—and the more points you earn! Once you learn the basics, you can choose from six colorful gnomes with different shapes, weights, and bounciness. Try each one to see which gnome goes the greatest distance towards making your garden the most beautiful of all.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2018, 05:28:37 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Father's Day 2018.

Google has no comment for this doodle.  :dunno:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2018, 05:29:41 AM »
Here, Fathers Day is the first Sunday in September.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2018, 05:34:30 AM »
Here, Fathers Day is the first Sunday in September.
On the doodle web page, it looks like they sometimes use the same ones over and over for different countries on their days. It won't let me copy the picture that shows all the countries which are seeing this doodle today. https://www.google.com/doodles/fathers-day-2018

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
Snipping tool might work if the whole picture fits in.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2018, 12:31:19 AM »
That sounds like work.  >:(

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #461 on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:36 AM »
It's an easy way to save a screen image, far better than PrintScreen. Been using it since Vista.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2018, 01:29:52 AM »
I use http://getgreenshot.org/ at work constantly.

Don't do enough at home to be worthwhile.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #463 on: June 20, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »
It's an easy way to save a screen image, far better than PrintScreen. Been using it since Vista.

Yeah, I know, but I didn't think of that and I already posted a link, so I figured it would be easier for me if you just clicked the link and looked at it, instead of me doing anything more.  :dunno:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #464 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
Yeah, I know, but I didn't think of that and I already posted a link, so I figured it would be easier for me if you just clicked the link and looked at it, instead of me doing anything more.  :dunno:
Haha, well I did do just that. You cheeky thing.
Tek'ma'tae