Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20072 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
Weird "trails".

If you follow them, some make perpendicular angles or ploughing field shapes. Don't think ships can do that.  :hide:

Google claims ships is exactly what causes it, echo sounding the ocean floor, which means the tracks aren't really there. http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2009/02/atlantis-no-it-atlant-isnt.html That makes sense for the tracks, but I read in another article, that the odd field type patches are probably where the ship just bounced around in a single area for a while with the sonar on. That doesn't really seem to explain the first field I posted with the sharp edges and, or the other field that looks so very squared.
Nor why some trails are so tiny. Even when using a small vessel for shallow waters, that should not impact the sonar equipment in the same scale, should it?

Does make sense to map the waters too though.

I have no idea if a smaller ship would make a difference. It did make me think about that one big area north of the original coordinates I posted, I think that's what you were talking about when you said a large plowed field, like the ship just went back and forth covering a large swatch for no reason. I wonder if they were getting paid by the mile or something and just made the best of it.  :orly: 78.361407, 8.105207 Oh, and what's this crap? 78.361407, 8.105207 I need to stop looking at it.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:54 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Ida B. Well's 153rd Birthday.

Ida B. Wells was a voracious reader, and had devoured the entirety of Shakespeare and Dickens before she turned twenty. A gifted writer and orator, she was unabashedly candid -- in her diaries, she describes the heroine of Les Miserables as “sweet, lovely and all that, but utterly without depth… fit only for love, sunshine [and] flowers.”

Such sweetness was simply not her style. Fearless and uncompromising, she was a fierce opponent of segregation and wrote prolifically on the civil injustices that beleaguered her world. By twenty-five she was editor of the Memphis-based Free Speech and Headlight, and continued to publicly decry inequality even after her printing press was destroyed by a mob of locals who opposed her message.

In 1894, while living in Chicago, she became a paid correspondent for the broadly distributed Daily Inter Ocean, and in 1895 she assumed full control of the Chicago Conservator. As Matt Cruickshank illustrates in today’s Doodle, Wells also travelled and lectured widely, bringing her fiery and impassioned rhetoric all over the world.

Today, for her 153rd birthday, we salute Ida B. Wells with a Doodle that commemorates her journalistic mettle and her unequivocal commitment to the advancement of civil liberties.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »
Today's Google doodle is Special Olympics World Games 2015.

Today marks the 47th year since the inception of the Special Olympics World Games. 7,000 world-class athletes from 177 countries will compete in 25 events in a celebration of athleticism, teamwork and inclusion. A reminder of the universality of sport, this is an opportunity for athletes with disability to compete in one of humankind's greatest traditions.

The games were created in Chicago by Eunice Shriver to give athletes with cognitive disabilities “the chance to play, the chance to compete and the chance to grow.”  Like all World Games, the events over the next 9 days will challenge participants to push their bodies to the best of their capacity. They'll compete against odds and against one another to perform at their peak and to honor their unique gifts to the fullest.

Doodle team lead Ryan Germick illustrated and animated today's doodle inspired by the circle of inclusion, which represents the acceptance of all people with intellectual disabilities. It celebrates the athletes in these games, as well as those who support them — the friends and mentors who helped carry the Olympic torch from its origin in Athens, Greece to its temporary home in Los Angeles, California.

Cheers to you, and the very best of luck!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:14 AM »
:zoinks:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is the 101st Anniversary of the First Electric Traffic Signal System

The early twentieth-century intersection was a strange scene. While the world’s largest automobile manufacturer sold over 20,000 cars a month in 1914, horse-drawn wagons and carts still crowded the streets, and accidents became increasingly frequent. Intersections in major cities were congested, and traffic was directed by police officers who stood in the middle of chaotic highways waving their arms--an unenviable beat, to say the least, especially during a blustery winter in the Midwest.

A solution to the problem was woefully overdue. Gas-lit stoplights appeared in England before the turn of the century, but these had a tendency to explode, and mechanically operated signs that displayed the words “stop” and “move” still relied on traffic attendants. Enter the inspiration of today’s Doodle, the electric traffic signal, which was first installed at the corner of 105th and Euclid in Cleveland, Ohio on August 5th, 1914.

Doodler Nate Swinehart hearkens back to an earlier time with shades of black and white, and uses the background colors to make the red and green signals particularly luminous. It’s not an artistic coincidence that the cars leap forward and screech wildly to a halt, either--the yellow light wouldn’t appear for several years, and overzealous motorists had to stop on a dime.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »
Cool

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »
Very cool. Glad you posted it. It does not show for me when I use Google.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
I turned on my laptop (for uni work) and saw this one.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »
Um, which one?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 05:03:14 AM »
The one that Gary posted above. With the traffic lights.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
Oh, right. I thought you had posted a Google doodle.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Google's New Logo

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »
I wasn't around yesterday, so I missed posting yesterday's Google Doodle.

Yesterday's Google Doodle was Start of the 2015 US Open Tennis Championship

To usher in the 37th US Open played at Flushing Meadows in Queens, New York, we thought we’d imagine what our letters would look like playing tennis. Fortunately, Serena Williams can’t hit a through-body lob like today’s “O”, but she could be the first woman to win a Grand Slam since Poison had a number-one single. Here’s to a great tradition in American sports and the possibility of a historic moment at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 11:44:16 PM »
That last one is anxiety-inducing. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »
I think I don't like the new logo.  >:(