Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • I'm a gopher, bitches. Write that down.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Marlene Dietrich’s 116th birthday

Born Maria Magdalene Dietrich in Berlin on this day in 1901, Marlene Dietrich lit up the silver screen during Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Dietrich rocketed to international fame from the moment she appeared in her breakout role as cabaret singer Lola-Lola in Germany’s first talking picture, Der Blaue Engel (1930) and its English version, The Blue Angel. The actress crossed the Atlantic soon after its premiere, continuing to work with Blue Angel director Josef von Sternberg in a string of memorable Hollywood films, including Morocco, Shanghai Express, and The Devil Is a Woman.

But Dietrich was more than a femme fatale with an unforgettable voice. Ever the risk-taker, she turned pat notions about femininity upside down, donning a tuxedo and top hat in her part as a sultry nightclub dancer in Morocco, and wearing men’s silk suits offscreen. A U.S. citizen as of 1939, she captivated World War II troops as a USO entertainer and was awarded the U.S. Medal of Freedom and French Légion d'Honneur for her wartime work.

Dietrich’s Doodle was illustrated by artist Sasha Steinberg who captured her mid-performance, suited up in her gender-bending tux and top hat. Steinberg, who is also a drag performer under the name Sasha Velour and winner of RuPaul's Drag Race (Season 9), counts Dietrich as a major influence in creating their drag alter ego.

“She was a wild original!” says Velour. “Despite the pressures of the time, she followed her own course, especially in terms of politics and gender. As a drag queen, that's particularly inspiring to me. Plus, she just had this power to her...in every role she's mysterious and strong, brilliant. That's what I aspire to be when I step on the stage.”

Happy 116th birthday, Marlene!
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year's Eve 2017.

Our feathery friends have enjoyed their delicious traditions and are now ringing in the new year with sparklers in hand. As they all admire the fireworks overhead, they think about how much fun it was to spend this time together.

Tomorrow, follow along as our penguin friends start a new day in a new year.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year's Day 2018.

After closing out the holidays with a bang, our penguin pals watch as the sun rises on a brand new year and look forward to what’s ahead.

Happy New Year!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
I missed the winter solstice doodle while I was gone. I don't care about the Christmas ones I missed, because I don't understand the penguin thing, but I've been following this cute little rodent all year and I like him.

December 21, 2017
Winter Solstice 2017 (Northern Hemisphere)

As 2017 slowly winds to a close, you may have noticed the sun beginning to set earlier and earlier, and you’re right! As the seasons begin to change, so too does the earth’s allocation of daylight.

December 21st marks the 2017 winter solstice, as well as the first day of winter on the astronomical calendar. On this day, the tilt of the earth’s North Pole is at its farthest from the sun, resulting in the shortest day and the longest night of the calendar year.

Though most refer to the solstice as an entire day, in reality, the solstice is defined as a single moment: when the sun is directly above the Tropic of Capricorn. This year, that moment will occur at 16:28 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). After this point in time, periods of daylight will once again begin to grow longer.

Happy winter!

Offline Fun with matches

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #424 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:46 AM »
I like that animation! It’s soo cute!
:dog:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Zhou Youguang’s 112th birthday.

The O’s in today’s Doodle flip from Pinyin (Gǔgē) to Chinese characters (谷歌). Were it not for celebrated linguist Zhou Youguang, this phonetic translation would never have come to life, and the world would still be referring to ‘Beijing’ as ‘Peking,’ and to ‘Chongqing’ as ‘Chungking.’

Popularly dubbed ‘the Father of Pinyin,’ Youguang spent three years developing the system of ‘spelled sounds’ that is now the international standard for Romanized Chinese. The new system transformed China’s literacy rate, providing more natural passage into the written language, which requires mastering thousands of characters. It bridged multiple Chinese dialects with its shared designations of sound. Today, schoolchildren learn Pinyin before characters, and it is often used to input characters on smartphones and computers.

Pursuing his love of language throughout his life, Youguang authored more than 40 books and translated the Encyclopedia Britannica into Chinese. Born on this day as Zhou Yaoping, this storied linguist later adopted the pen name ‘Yougang’ because he wanted to ‘bring light’ to the world. Today, we celebrate what would’ve been Yougang’s 112th birthday with a special place in the spotlight.

Doodle by Cynthia Yuan Cheng

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #426 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
While I was looking up today's doodle, I also saw this one. I like it so I'm posting it too. I think I like the alternate version better.   :orly:

5th African Nations Championship

Can you feel the excitement in the air? Once again, the African Nations Championship is upon us!

Today we’re celebrating the start of the 5th African Nations Championship, a football tournament drawing in teams from across Africa to compete for the coveted title. The first tournament was held in Ivory Coast in 2009, designed to showcase the football talent amongst the best African national teams. The Confederation of African Football organizes the competition every two years and only allows footballers playing for their country’s domestic team to participate. As a result, the best African talent will be on display - you won’t want to miss it!

All the action is taking place in Morocco as the first games of the 2018 tournament kick off today. Sixteen teams will descend upon various stadiums across Morocco, but only one will be crowned the champion, during the final game on February 4, played in Casablanca.

Today’s doodle features players wearing each of the flags of the countries represented. They’re practicing their skills, just like each of the African Nations have done all year.

Good luck to all the players (and fans!) across Africa!

An alternate version of the players holding traditional African shields by the artist.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:44:46 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2018, 03:24:26 AM »
Shithole countries kicking ball. :trump:
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue. 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #428 on: Yesterday at 09:54:55 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2018.

“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality.”

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Today we celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., Baptist minister, Nobel Laureate, and civil rights activist who dedicated his life working tirelessly for peace, social justice, and opportunity for all Americans - irrespective of color or creed.

On November 2, 1983, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill creating a federal holiday to honor Dr. King. It was federally observed for the first time on January 20, 1986, and over 30 years later, the day is traditionally celebrated as a day of service, with people volunteering time and talent to help others, thus paying homage to Dr. King’s legacy.

Today’s Doodle by guest artist Cannaday Chapman was also developed in collaboration with the Black Googlers Network (BGN), one of the largest employee resource groups at Google. The image depicts a young girl perched on her father’s shoulders, enthralled by the power and eloquence of Dr. King’s words. The scene is evocative of Dr. King’s dream for children everywhere to one day live in a better world.

Cannaday shares his thoughts on today’s Doodle below:

Q: What does MLK and MLK day mean to you personally?

A: Martin Luther King Jr.'s message is especially relevant today and will be relevant for the remainder of civilization. Dr. King is most remembered for fighting for the rights of African Americans, but he fought for the rights of all Americans. He believed in fairness and equity for everyone. As a black man, I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing today if it wasn't for him and the brave people of the civil rights movement.

Q: What were your first thoughts when you were approached for this project?

A: I felt very honored to have the opportunity to pay tribute to one of America's bravest leaders. I was pretty busy when I was approached for this assignment, but it's Google and Martin Luther King Jr. That's an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Q: Did you draw inspiration from anything in particular for this Doodle?

A: I was inspired by people. It may appear that this movement or any civil rights movement was brought about by one person, but it's the people that have the power to bring change. I wanted to make an image about those people.

Q: What message would you like for people to get after seeing the Doodle?

A: I would like people to reflect on this moment in history. I would like people to remember that current events and our actions today will shape the future generations of tomorrow. What kind of example do we want to set for our children and our children's children?

Today, Dr. King’s dream continues to inspire people of all ages, races, and nationalities to stand united against injustice and never abandon hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #429 on: Today at 06:03:00 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Katy Jurado’s 94th Birthday.

Initially brought to fame by playing “femme fatale” characters, Katy Jurado (born María Cristina Estela Marcela Jurado García) achieved stardom in both Mexican cinema and Hollywood through her nuanced portrayals of complicated women.

As a teenager, Jurado was barred from acting by her family, but she was so determined that she signed her first contract in secret. Her career began with several films produced during the Golden Age of Mexican cinema, including the successful La vida inútil de Pito Pérez (1943).

Cast in her first Hollywood film, Bullfighter and the Lady (1951), Jurado’s limited grasp of English meant she delivered her lines by memorizing the way they sounded. Despite the unconventional approach, her strong performance caught the attention of a well-known Hollywood producer, who cast her in the soon-to-be-classic Western, High Noon (1952). Jurado played the narratively-important character of Helen Ramirez so skillfully that she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress. Accolades for future performances would include three Silver Ariel Awards and nominations for several Academy Awards.

Off-screen, Jurado was a tenacious and spirited woman who captivated everyone around her. While she was stunningly beautiful, her portrayals transcended the stereotyped, over-sexualized roles written for Mexican women at the time. Her talent at depicting a range of characters helped to expand the parts available to Mexican and other Latina actresses in Hollywood today.

Today’s Doodle by artist Ana Ramirez pays homage to the trailblazing actress by depicting her in a powerful pose against a backdrop inspired by the set of her film High Noon - complete with roses, which symbolize Jurado’s birthplace of Guadalajara, nicknamed “the city of roses.”