Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20438 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #360 on: July 24, 2017, 11:54:09 PM »
Now wondering what he'd say about Twitter, Snapchat and the like.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #361 on: July 25, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »
Now wondering what he'd say about Twitter, Snapchat and the like.

Everything has it's dark underbelly.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
I think he's got a point, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #363 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
I think he's got a point, though.
I guess I don't. The medium is the message makes no sense to me. He believed a medium will have the same effect on society regardless of its content, so tv would have had the same societal effect if it had only ever been used for advertising, the internet would have had the same effect on society if it had only ever been used for entertainment. I don't believe that's true.  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #364 on: July 27, 2017, 12:17:02 AM »
I don't agree with everything he says, but he's got valid points about how society is shaped by the way information is shared. You only have to look at Facebook or *shudder* Twitter today. I don't think his point about the medium being the message was to be taken literally, though. He said it was more important but not exclusively important.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
I'll agree society is effected and even shaped by the way information is shared, but I don't think that's an original or inventive idea. I think he's just considered a visionary because he perceived a digital information era before its time. Things like facebook and twitter seem like too detailed of a view than what he was talking about, like comparing a tabloid newspaper to a reputable one. It's still print media, and his ideas were about the bigger picture of broader terms of mediums. I believe, the medium is the message, was meant to be literal. I guess it's possible he's misunderstood, but I don't think so.  :dunno:

Wikipedia says this:
McLuhan proposed that media themselves, not the content they carry, should be the focus of study—popularly quoted as "the medium is the message". McLuhan's insight was that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not by the content delivered over the medium, but by the characteristics of the medium itself. McLuhan pointed to the light bulb as a clear demonstration of this concept. A light bulb does not have content in the way that a newspaper has articles or a television has programs, yet it is a medium that has a social effect; that is, a light bulb enables people to create spaces during nighttime that would otherwise be enveloped by darkness. He describes the light bulb as a medium without any content. McLuhan states that "a light bulb creates an environment by its mere presence."More controversially, he postulated that content had little effect on society—in other words, it did not matter if television broadcasts children's shows or violent programming, to illustrate one example—the effect of television on society would be identical.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
Very little in this world is original, but he was opining on things not in the public consciousness at the time.

Look at a bus timetable displayed on the internet. The fact that I browse to that page to find out when my bus leaves is important but the message--it leaves at 8.06--is not unimportant. The delivery has shaped society, though, because printed timetables are now less important than the online ones. We can more easily access an online timetable and so our behaviour patterns have changed.

In the short term, 8.06 is important, but in the long term, how I access that information is probably more important. Timetables change.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #367 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:09 AM »
I'm starting to feel like we're not really talking about the same thing, because again that's too specific in the broader scope of the internet as a medium and how he proposed media should be understood. McLuhan believed a medium creates an environment, and I agree that's true, but I don't agree the content is irrelevant. The internet creates an environment for things like information sharing, information management, entertainment, purchasing, and social interaction. He basically maintained the societal impact would be the same if any one of those things were not part of the content of the internet environment, and I don't think that's true. So sure, the specific details of a personal shopping experience aren't important, but if money transfer were never part of the content of the digital environment the impact of the internet on society would not have been identical. I think he was wrong.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #368 on: July 28, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is the 100th Anniversary of the Silent Parade.

There was no singing, no chanting — just silence.

On July 28, 1917, the only sound on New York City’s Fifth Avenue was the muffled beat of drums as nearly 10,000 African American children, women, and men marched in silence in what came to be known as the Silent Parade. It was one of the first mass protests of lynching and anti-black violence in the United States. The parade was precipitated by the East St. Louis Riots of 1917, during which between 40 and 250 Black people were killed and thousands more displaced by white mobs.

Organized by the NAACP, including leaders James Weldon Johnson and W.E.B Du Bois, the protest demanded that President Woodrow Wilson take the legislative action to protect African Americans that he had touched on during his presidential campaign. Although the demonstrators marched in silence, their message was very clear. One sign read, “Mr. President, why not make America safe for democracy” — a challenge at a time where the President was promising to bring democracy to the world through World War I while Black Americans were being stripped of their civil rights at home.

Today's Doodle commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Silent Parade, and honors those whose silence resonates a century later.

To learn more about this period, and the era of lynching that led to this protest, visit lynchinginamerica.eji.org, an interactive site created by Google.org grantee the Equal Justice Initiative in collaboration with Google. Through oral histories, film, and interactive maps, Lynching in America provides the opportunity to address this painful past, in the name of building a better future.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #369 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm starting to feel like we're not really talking about the same thing, because again that's too specific in the broader scope of the internet as a medium and how he proposed media should be understood. McLuhan believed a medium creates an environment, and I agree that's true, but I don't agree the content is irrelevant. The internet creates an environment for things like information sharing, information management, entertainment, purchasing, and social interaction. He basically maintained the societal impact would be the same if any one of those things were not part of the content of the internet environment, and I don't think that's true. So sure, the specific details of a personal shopping experience aren't important, but if money transfer were never part of the content of the digital environment the impact of the internet on society would not have been identical. I think he was wrong.

I was providing you with an example, the first that came to mind, to illustrate my views. Maybe I wasn't very clear.

And it's OK to disagree. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #370 on: July 29, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »

I know. I'm just not good at it.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #371 on: August 03, 2017, 10:34:43 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Dolores del Río.

When Dolores Del Río met American filmmaker Edwin Carewe, her talent was so captivating that he convinced her to move to California. Once there, Del Ríos acting career would establish her as an iconic figure during the Golden Age of Mexican cinema. Considered the first major Latin American crossover Hollywood star, she would pave the way for generations of actors to follow.

Just a year after her first film, Del Río’s first major success came in the 1926 comedy-drama war film What Price Glory? When she moved from silent films to “talkies” in the 1930s, she earned starring roles and appeared in films opposite stars like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, eventually returning to Mexico where she quickly became one of the top actresses in the Mexican film industry.

Del Río is also remembered as a philanthropist and advocate for the arts. She was the first woman to sit on the jury of the Cannes film festival. She co-founded the Society for the Protection of the Artistic Treasures of Mexico, a group dedicated to preserving historical buildings and artwork in her home country. In 1970, she helped open a center to provide childcare for members of the Mexican Actor’s Guild, which bears her name and still operates to this day.

A trailblazer for women in Hollywood and beyond, Dolores Del Río’s legacy endures in American and Mexican cinema.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »

I know. I'm just not good at it.  :zoinks:

Agreed. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #373 on: August 11, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is 44th Anniversary of the Birth of Hip Hop.

On August 11, 1973, an 18-year-old, Jamaican-American DJ who went by the name of Kool Herc threw a back-to-school jam at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue in the Bronx, New York. During his set, he decided to do something different. Instead of playing the songs in full, he played only their instrumental sections, or “breaks” - sections where he noticed the crowd went wild. During these “breaks” his friend Coke La Rock hyped up the crowd with a microphone. And with that, Hip Hop was born.

Today, we celebrate the 44th anniversary of that very moment with a first-of-its-kind Doodle featuring a custom logo graphic by famed graffiti artist Cey Adams, interactive turntables on which users can mix samples from legendary tracks, and a serving of Hip Hop history - with an emphasis on its founding pioneers. What’s more, the whole experience is narrated by Hip Hop icon Fab 5 Freddy, former host of “Yo! MTV Raps.”

To dig deeper into the significance of this moment and culture from a personal perspective, we invited the project’s executive consultant and partner, YouTube’s Global Head of Music Lyor Cohen (and former head of Def Jam Records), to share his thoughts:

“Yes, yes y'all! And it don't stop!” Today we acknowledge and celebrate a cultural revolution that's spanned 44 years and counting. It all started in the NYC Bronx, more commonly known as the Boogie Down Bronx. Following the fallout from the construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway in 1972 that demolished a lot of the neighborhood, times were particularly tough. The youth needed an outlet -  a unifying sound, a beat, a voice to call their own. The Bronx DJ’s and MC’s rose to the task and the city loved them for it.

Hip Hop was accessible. A kid with little means and hard work could transform their turntable into a powerful instrument of expression (also illustrating hip hop’s technical innovation). Starting with folks like DJ Kool Herc, DJ Hollywood, and Grandmaster Flash, the grassroots movement created a new culture of music, art, and dance available to the 5 boroughs of the city and beyond.

Hip Hop was also rebellion against several norms of the time, including the overwhelming popularity of disco, which many in the community felt had unjustly overshadowed the recent groundbreaking works of James Brown and other soul impresarios from the 60’s. Specifically, they felt that the relatable storytelling and emotional truths shared in soul and blues had been lost in the pop-centric sounds of Disco. So Hip Hop recaptured that connection, beginning with the pioneers who brought back the evocative BOOM! BAP! rhythms of James Brown's drummer, Clyde Stubblefield.

It should be noted that early Hip Hop stood against the violence and drug culture that pervaded the time. My dear friend & first client Kurtis Blow once said “On one side of the street, big buildings would be burning down…while kids on the other side would be putting up graffiti messages like, 'Up with Hope. Down with Dope,' 'I Will Survive' and 'Lord, Show Me the Way!’”. The messages of resilience unified a community of people and were the backdrop of hip hop’s beginnings.

I won’t pretend I was present when Hip Hop began. I first engaged with Hip Hop music about ten years after its birth, when the culture was still a kid. I’d graduated from college and was working at a bank in Los Angeles. A year later, bored as hell, I quit. On a whim, I rented an abandoned hall and started booking shows. My policy was to provide a stage for the music that promoters were ignoring: punk-rock, reggae, and rap. It turned out to be a winning strategy. One of my very first shows included RUN DMC, and they absolutely KILLED IT. Following the success of those shows, I left LA for NYC and started working for Russell Simmons, who appointed me road manager for RUN DMC just as they were embarking on a European tour. It was December of 1984 and they found nothing but love on both sides of the English Channel. A month later, RUN DMC, along with Kurtis Blow, the Fat Boys, and Whodini, started touring massive arenas across the U.S.. To the rock establishment and corporate music business, hip hop was little more than a fad. But with acts selling out shows around the globe night after night, it was obvious that something bigger was brewing...

Hip Hop was disruptive. Ultimately, to me, it shows that people in any situation have the ability to create something powerful and meaningful. The progression of this culture and sound - from Kool Herc spinning James Brown breaks at a block party to Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Drake being some of the biggest forces in music 44 years later - is something that few people at that first party could have anticipated.

Hip Hop has done exactly what its founders set out to do, whether wittingly or unwittingly. It placed an accessible culture, relatable to any marginalized group in the world, at the forefront of music. In that spirit, here’s to BILLIONS of people getting a brief reminder that “Yes, yes y’all! And it WON’T stop!”

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #374 on: August 11, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »
I don't always see the various Googles but I had this one yesterday.

:plus:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae