Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 15989 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #420 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
What do you know about spinal curvature, how alterable it is, and how to tell how alterable it is?

My upper back curves forward and has as long as I can remember.  It got a lot worse over time (desk job), and has gotten better this last year as I've strengthened my back muscles, and I'm doing some exercises to work on flexibility, but I'm not sure how far that will go.  I don't know what is just years of bad posture vs. something like scoliosis (or actual scoliosis), and whether that matters or not anyway.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
What do you know about spinal curvature, how alterable it is, and how to tell how alterable it is?

My upper back curves forward and has as long as I can remember.  It got a lot worse over time (desk job), and has gotten better this last year as I've strengthened my back muscles, and I'm doing some exercises to work on flexibility, but I'm not sure how far that will go.  I don't know what is just years of bad posture vs. something like scoliosis (or actual scoliosis), and whether that matters or not anyway.

This interests me also.  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #422 on: March 11, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »

Thinking this has come up before. Ever discuss with a doctor trying a posture brace?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #423 on: March 11, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »

Do you really like all those big ass TRUCKS or are you just playing into my hand?

:tard:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2017, 02:48:47 AM »

Thinking this has come up before. Ever discuss with a doctor trying a posture brace?

At the moment I'm using a back stretcher. Well not at the moment, right now I'm posting.

I store stress in my muscles, getting a similar posture. Month ago physiotherapist let me borrow hers, because therapy is not an option right now. Effect of five minutes on that torturing device is big. If I notice there are still some big "knots" in my back muscles I massage them myself, with the help of a hard small rubber ball and the wall.

(Just imagine this bovine rubbing her back against the wall, the rubber ball will be pressed into the sore bits. It will be moving because of the movements I make. In the mean time I train my legs as a side effect.)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »
At the moment I'm using a back stretcher. Well not at the moment, right now I'm posting.

I store stress in my muscles, getting a similar posture. Month ago physiotherapist let me borrow hers, because therapy is not an option right now. Effect of five minutes on that torturing device is big. If I notice there are still some big "knots" in my back muscles I massage them myself, with the help of a hard small rubber ball and the wall.

(Just imagine this bovine rubbing her back against the wall, the rubber ball will be pressed into the sore bits. It will be moving because of the movements I make. In the mean time I train my legs as a side effect.)
Correcting posture is a subconscious behavioral reconditioning, and torture is an excellent way to describe it. Though absolutely believe a year's worth of torture spared me from a lifetime of pain.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:55 PM »
I used to have a quite obvious hunchback until I was about 25. Then I went to a chiropractor because I had back pain and pain pills and anti-inflammatories weren't helping. He gave me exercises to do to straighten my back.

The most effective exercise I did was to take a towel and roll it up into sausage shape and lay on the floor with it under my back horizontally where the lowest ribs are. I did this for a few minutes every night before bed. I noticed a difference almost straight away. I will most likely always have back problems but I can stand straight now and I see that as a bonus.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
I used to have a quite obvious hunchback until I was about 25. Then I went to a chiropractor because I had back pain and pain pills and anti-inflammatories weren't helping. He gave me exercises to do to straighten my back.

The most effective exercise I did was to take a towel and roll it up into sausage shape and lay on the floor with it under my back horizontally where the lowest ribs are. I did this for a few minutes every night before bed. I noticed a difference almost straight away. I will most likely always have back problems but I can stand straight now and I see that as a bonus.
Can you find a picture or video of how to do this?  I'm not sure I'm understanding the description correctly.

EDIT:  Or just clarify:  is the "sausage" perpendicular (90 degree angle) to your spine?  (Which is what I'm inferring based on subsequent posts)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:14:02 PM by PMS Elle »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »

For me the struggle was overcoming the natural instinct. Slumping and slouching were like breathing.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »

For me the struggle was overcoming the natural instinct. Slumping and slouching were like breathing.
Lol, Jack, I know you really want me to have a trainer or brace.  I'm hoping for a less extreme alternative so that's what I'm gonna try first.  :P

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
This might be close. I remember my mom just laying looking up at the ceiling with a towel rolled under her back some days and saying it helped (she had it too).

She also had some sort of exercise machine thing... Body by Jake back device they don't make anymore purchased from a late night infomercial that she loved. Really it looked like the ab roller but different...they make something called the ab and back plus now...doesn't look the same.  :dunno:

Braces are only recommended for short term pain relief for adults...not like when I was a teenager (one of my best friends had to wear one for years). They still really only help stop the progression, it's not a fix.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »

Lol, Jack, I know you really want me to have a trainer or brace.  I'm hoping for a less extreme alternative so that's what I'm gonna try first.  :P
Stop slouching.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:41 AM »
That first exercise the guy does is right - except I laid flat on my back on the floor on the towel looking at the ceiling.

His exercise is for side to side scoliosis.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »
That first exercise the guy does is right - except I laid flat on my back on the floor on the towel looking at the ceiling.

His exercise is for side to side scoliosis.
Having done more research, I think if it's not sideways, it's not scoliosis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »

The one I use does not have green rolls but solid wooden "notches". ( Can't think up the translation for "uitsteeksels" right now)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!