Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 15741 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:11 AM »
How might one go about reducing the amount of heat that builds up during the course of a workday in a small, windowless room?
sledgehammer.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 03:38:07 AM »
My friend has a small fan that she puts on her desk and the breeze from that makes a bit of difference.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »
My friend has a small fan that she puts on her desk and the breeze from that makes a bit of difference.
I find it just kicks hot air around.  :/

How might one go about reducing the amount of heat that builds up during the course of a workday in a small, windowless room?
sledgehammer.
Believe me, I've considered it.   :-\
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »

sledgehammer.
If the door is allowed to be open, put the fan so that it blows air out of the door. It won't work if the air outside the room is the same temperature as in the room.
The other alternative is to get an evaporative air conditioner. They're cheap and often have a small footprint. They have regular portable air conditioners (no window required in some cases) but those start at about $300.
I've been researching this because I live in what used to be an attic and I can't open the windows because the diesel fumes from nearby trains aggravates my asthma. My window cranks open so there's no fitting it with a kit either.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 08:05:36 AM »
If you have a ceiling fan make sure the switch is down for summer to better circulate the air.

You can try a fan at the doorway if you're able to leave it open to suck the hot air out...they have corner fans that will mount at the top of the doorway that might work best on the general principle that hot air rises and cold air falls.

Portable air conditioner is probably out...unless you have a window in the hall or next room close enough to vent it.

You can try a homemade swamp cooler...which is basically a fan blowing over a block of ice, there's a couple of DIY swamp cooler tutorials using a 5 gallon bucket on youtube, gives you a general idea.

http://youtu.be/5NZ-2KcAF_0

http://youtu.be/aHbQYajfGqM

*Typing this up while Wolfish was posting...basically echoing what he said.  :LOL: 

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
Looks like I have about five jars of preserves that Pyraxis isn't going to eat on her toast and I am not going to use for cookies. There are about 3 of raspberries and one of blueberry and another of blackcurrant. There's probably more - the kitchen at the old place was packrat heaven.

The thrift store in Florida took sealed food but I'm pretty sure they won't take it here.
What could I use it for?

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
I could not grow a garden in Florida because of the heat and cost of making a greenhouse. But I still have all the seeds. One of the seeds from 2012 has sprouted. How long are these things viable? I planted some Perilla seeds but they are from 2002.
All the rest are from 2010 to 2012. There are about 20 packets of edible flowers, herbs and vegetables. And tomatoes.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

sledgehammer.
If the door is allowed to be open, put the fan so that it blows air out of the door. It won't work if the air outside the room is the same temperature as in the room.
The other alternative is to get an evaporative air conditioner. They're cheap and often have a small footprint. They have regular portable air conditioners (no window required in some cases) but those start at about $300.
I've been researching this because I live in what used to be an attic and I can't open the windows because the diesel fumes from nearby trains aggravates my asthma. My window cranks open so there's no fitting it with a kit either.
Been thinking of buying one but have gotten the feedback that it may not be allowed, which would make it a potential waste of a couple hundred bucks.

I'm wondering how much the lighting, computer, air purifier and (today) fan may be ADDING to the heat by being on.

And leaving the door open isn't OK during sessions and then between sessions it invites people to come socially interact with me so it's not an ideal solution.   :autism:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:02 PM »

sledgehammer.
Been thinking of buying one but have gotten the feedback that it may not be allowed, which would make it a potential waste of a couple hundred bucks.

I'm wondering how much the lighting, computer, air purifier and (today) fan may be ADDING to the heat by being on.

And leaving the door open isn't OK during sessions and then between sessions it invites people to come socially interact with me so it's not an ideal solution.   :autism:

You see clients in a windowless room? Poor you, and poor buggers having to go in there.

Is it allowed, work health regulations wise, to be working in a room without daylight all day?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »
In my country ... Yes :(

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 03:56:19 AM »
And clients get rid of their depressions by therapy in tube light lit rooms?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 03:57:13 AM »
Would it be allowed to go outside to a park, or just go for a walk during a therapy session?

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »
Looks like I have about five jars of preserves that Pyraxis isn't going to eat on her toast and I am not going to use for cookies. There are about 3 of raspberries and one of blueberry and another of blackcurrant. There's probably more - the kitchen at the old place was packrat heaven.

The thrift store in Florida took sealed food but I'm pretty sure they won't take it here.
What could I use it for?

A local food pantry might be less picky.

...I mix it into plain greek yogurt a lot.

Crumble squares (gluten free)...haven't tried these yet, but I've tried a few recipes from this site and they've been pretty good.

You can sub any flavor jam for the chia seed jam she uses.

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/09/raspberry-chia-seed-jam-oat-crumble-squares-vegan-gluten-free/

The seeds I would try...really depends on how they were stored. I've had seeds that wouldn't grow after 2 years, then I found seeds my mother collected 6+ years ago that grew just fine.

And clients get rid of their depressions by therapy in tube light lit rooms?

Elle, that would suck, I feel trapped without windows for some reason.  :P  No skylight even?

I had one therapist that didn't have a window but did have a skylight, she had some very nice silk palms and greenery + a small tabletop fountain...wasn't a window, but did make me feel more relaxed than I would have been otherwise.

My MIL's house is like walking into a tomb, with dark heavy drapes everywhere...I have to suppress my urge to rip the drapes down every time I go there. :GA:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
I have wallpapered a significant portion of my walls with calendar photos of islands and beaches and rainbows (my version of hatchmarks on the cell wall, lol).  My goal is eventually to have no wall showing beneath a certain point on the walls.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
I have wallpapered a significant portion of my walls with calendar photos of islands and beaches and rainbows (my version of hatchmarks on the cell wall, lol).  My goal is eventually to have no wall showing beneath a certain point on the walls.

How many hours a week do you spend without daylight during the day?
Can imagine it totally fucking up your system.
Artificial SAD, due to conditions at work?