Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 15739 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »
You need to come to the Netherlands. St. Nic comes with trowing of small candy and ginger-nut like stuff.
It's a place of business, not freaking romper room. :M

Washington DC is the romper room capital, maybe free candy would help. :zoinks:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
You need to come to the Netherlands. St. Nic comes with trowing of small candy and ginger-nut like stuff.

The days before St. Nic, you'd very likely get away with that in a business place. St. Nic is about gentle pranking, teasing poems, simple presents, surprises and airborne candy.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »

:emosad:
:gopher:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »

Maybe you need to go in on a day Jack stays home.  :zoinks:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »

Maybe you need to go in on a day Jack stays home.  :zoinks:

I could touch her special pens and move everything an inch to the right.  :zoinks: She does let me keep my sunflower seeds on her desk and I babble about their story to people who care to know.  :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:49 PM »
This is an awesome thread.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
Do sea turtles get barnacles? I was looking at a fresh water turtle today and noticed the algae growing on its shell. I think if I were a turtle algae on my shell would bother me, and I wondered why he wouldn't try to get it off. Then I realized I've never seen a photo of a sea turtle with barnacles, so I wonder what they do to keep the barnacles off, and if they even get them at all. It makes sense they might get them, but I don't know if it's common for sea turtles to have barnacles and clean them off somehow, or maybe there's some sort of PR bias against showing photos of them with barnacles.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:16 PM »
Do sea turtles get barnacles? I was looking at a fresh water turtle today and noticed the algae growing on its shell. I think if I were a turtle algae on my shell would bother me, and I wondered why he wouldn't try to get it off. Then I realized I've never seen a photo of a sea turtle with barnacles, so I wonder what they do to keep the barnacles off, and if they even get them at all. It makes sense they might get them, but I don't know if it's common for sea turtles to have barnacles and clean them off somehow, or maybe there's some sort of PR bias against showing photos of them with barnacles.

They do get barnacles... and other things.

Sea turtles may carry: barnacles, crabs, shrimp, algae, bryozoans, oysters, bristle worms, polychaetes, brittle stars, and other organisms on their shells. Most of these organisms derive the benefit of transportation from the relationship .

http://www.seaturtleguardian.org/parasites

I think it's a bias thing, they're definitely not too photogenic.

Sometimes they will wash ashore weighed down by them as they did one year in Dubai, and they with get cleaned by being placed in fresh water for awhile, so that the barnacles fall off.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/turtles-covered-in-barnacles

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 09:52:37 PM »
That first link makes it sound like it's very common, and yeah, people might be going through a lot of trouble to get photos of turtles that have no barnacles. The second link makes it sound like it's not common for them to have quite so many though, some weird outbreak happening in that part of the world. I think I've always thought of whales as having barnacles, but not killer whales. I've never seen photos of killer whales or dolphins with barnacles either, so maybe some more bias going on there too.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
OK, big problem with the 0.7. When unscrewing the cap the top half of the nib remains firmly attached to the cap, leaving the fine needle protruding from the base and cartridge. I think the ink has dried in all the wrong places and formed a glue of some kind. :GA:

Should I try to simply place all of it in the ultrasonic thingy?
This has happened to me a couple of times . Once I was able to get the parts back together. The second time I broke the wire/needle, but since it was 0.13 the pen worked anyway.

I wouldn't put the part with the needle in the ultrasonic cleaner because there is too much danger of it getting bent. That was how I broke the second one - trying to bend it so it would go back into the pen.
My guess is that since all the solvent is gone you just have gummy pigment left. Since technically that's made of fine particles, the ultrasonic cleaner should be able to break it up.

Pyraxis used to use technical pens for drawing and she got them clogged fairly often. I have never had an ultrasonic cleaner. I just put the pens in cleaning solution on top of the refrigerator or shook the jar myself - both worked.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 05:49:24 AM »
Is there a way to get rid of mold/lintscum around the top of a washing machine?  Also is there a way to do it that doesn't involve using chemicals that will stain the next load(s)?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
Is there a way to get rid of mold/lintscum around the top of a washing machine?  Also is there a way to do it that doesn't involve using chemicals that will stain the next load(s)?

Top loader.

You can try the white vinegar/baking soda method...which is probably the safest, but may or may not be totally effective. (My 10 yr old top loader gets pretty funky since we have hard water, so I normally have to go with the bleach soak/vinegar rinse for it to be 100%)

http://www.diynatural.com/how-to-clean-a-washing-machine/

This is normally the method I use with mine, except I only use 2 cups of bleach (asthma), and let it sit overnight with the bleach, and follow with the vinegar the next morning:

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/11/how-to-clean-your-top-load-washing-machine.html

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 05:12:38 AM »

Top loader.

You can try the white vinegar/baking soda method...which is probably the safest, but may or may not be totally effective. (My 10 yr old top loader gets pretty funky since we have hard water, so I normally have to go with the bleach soak/vinegar rinse for it to be 100%)

http://www.diynatural.com/how-to-clean-a-washing-machine/

This is normally the method I use with mine, except I only use 2 cups of bleach (asthma), and let it sit overnight with the bleach, and follow with the vinegar the next morning:

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/11/how-to-clean-your-top-load-washing-machine.html
Thanks!  I will have to give it a shot when I next have the time and ambition.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »
How might one go about reducing the amount of heat that builds up during the course of a workday in a small, windowless room?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »
OK, big problem with the 0.7. When unscrewing the cap the top half of the nib remains firmly attached to the cap, leaving the fine needle protruding from the base and cartridge. I think the ink has dried in all the wrong places and formed a glue of some kind. :GA:

Should I try to simply place all of it in the ultrasonic thingy?
This has happened to me a couple of times . Once I was able to get the parts back together. The second time I broke the wire/needle, but since it was 0.13 the pen worked anyway.

I wouldn't put the part with the needle in the ultrasonic cleaner because there is too much danger of it getting bent. That was how I broke the second one - trying to bend it so it would go back into the pen.
My guess is that since all the solvent is gone you just have gummy pigment left. Since technically that's made of fine particles, the ultrasonic cleaner should be able to break it up.

Pyraxis used to use technical pens for drawing and she got them clogged fairly often. I have never had an ultrasonic cleaner. I just put the pens in cleaning solution on top of the refrigerator or shook the jar myself - both worked.

Going to see if I can have it in a cleaning solution for a while.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein