Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 15740 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Questions for Icequeen
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
Step right up folks and ask The Amazing Icequeen. There's no question too big or too small. She'll answer your questions with cool headed clarity rivaled by no other. All answers, of course, come with a one year guarantee, or your money back.   :2thumbsup:

I had an idea around last Christmas, to throw small pieces of candy around the room landing it in people's cubes. Do you think I could get away with doing something like that without people ever knowing it's me?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:10:47 AM »
IQ, do you know how to best clean a clogged Rotring Isograph pen?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »
Thanks. :)

Have to get an ultrasonic cleaner. The usual methods fail.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
You can try the ultrasonic method mentioned here, or soaking.

http://www.the-spine.com/2013/07/an-idiots-guide-to-unblocking-cleaning-and-ruining-rotring-isograph-nibs/

Some other tips:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=57885.0

I want one of those pens now I always liked the look and feel of liquid ink , and  I already have an ultrasonic cleaner in case it gets clogged :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
Rotring pens are awesome, far better than most alternatives.

I have to get an ultrasonic cleaner. :GA:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
I had an idea around last Christmas, to throw small pieces of candy around the room landing it in people's cubes. Do you think I could get away with doing something like that without people ever knowing it's me?  :orly:

Seriously, do you think people would like something like that, or would it be something really annoying? I just let another awesome candy holiday pass by without doing it because I don't know if it would go over badly, and if it does go over badly and anyone does happen to find out it's me then Jack will be mad at me for pelting people with candy. :GA:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »

Seriously, do you think people would like something like that, or would it be something really annoying? I just let another awesome candy holiday pass by without doing it because I don't know if it would go over badly, and if it does go over badly and anyone does happen to find out it's me then Jack will be mad at me for pelting people with candy. :GA:

You need to come to the Netherlands. St. Nic comes with trowing of small candy and ginger-nut like stuff.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »

Mmmmm candy. :drool:
I would like something like that.

Unless of course we're talking about black liquorice. Yuck. :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »
OK, big problem with the 0.7. When unscrewing the cap the top half of the nib remains firmly attached to the cap, leaving the fine needle protruding from the base and cartridge. I think the ink has dried in all the wrong places and formed a glue of some kind. :GA:

Should I try to simply place all of it in the ultrasonic thingy?

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
Would left-handers have a problem using these pens? Smearing, smudging, etc.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »
The ink dries quickly but I have to admit I don't really know.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 05:34:10 AM »

Mmmmm candy. :drool:
I would like something like that.

Unless of course we're talking about black liquorice. Yuck. :P

Yeah, I think most people like candy, but if I wanted to give out nice docile anonymous candy I could just leave it by the coffee pot. I just don't know if most people would still like candy if it were unexpected crazy flying projectile candy, especially if it hits them in the head or knocks over something on their desk.  :zoinks:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
OK, big problem with the 0.7. When unscrewing the cap the top half of the nib remains firmly attached to the cap, leaving the fine needle protruding from the base and cartridge. I think the ink has dried in all the wrong places and formed a glue of some kind. :GA:

Should I try to simply place all of it in the ultrasonic thingy?

Not sure if this will help or not.

1. Flush with water (fill and empty with plain water several times) first*.
2. Leave pen filled with water. Get a jar or glass with something soft in the bottom like kitchen paper or sponge. Gently, place pen nib down on soft material and fill so there is enough water to reach up to just below the threads. Leave overnight.
3. Flush a few more times.
4. Rig up something so you can suspend only the nib in the ultrasonic cleaner. Chopsticks and elastic bands are your friends. Use only clean water in the ultrasonic, no additives are necessary. With the pen still filled with water, give it a blast for about 10 minutes.
5. Flush a few more times. More ink will come out now.
6. If you have ammonia solution**, now is a good time to flush with this a few times. Finish by flushing with water. If it doesn't come out clean, repeat step 4.

Your pen should now be ready to fill with ink and write. Don't forget to let a few drops out after filling as the act of re-tightening the piston sucks up the excess ink into the reservoir.

* if the piston is stiff, you'll need your pen servicing. For this you will need a special tool to remove the nib so it's not a job you can do yourself. You may as well stop now because the repairer will clean everything as part of the service.

Some suggest leaving it in the ultrasonic for up to 3 days if need be.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
You need to come to the Netherlands. St. Nic comes with trowing of small candy and ginger-nut like stuff.
It's a place of business, not freaking romper room. :M