Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16050 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
I have wallpapered a significant portion of my walls with calendar photos of islands and beaches and rainbows (my version of hatchmarks on the cell wall, lol).  My goal is eventually to have no wall showing beneath a certain point on the walls.

How many hours a week do you spend without daylight during the day?
Can imagine it totally fucking up your system.
Artificial SAD, due to conditions at work?
Maybe, come to think of it.

I spend nearly all of my hours every day during the week without daylight.  Weekends are a little better.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »
How long does it take to gain muscle, and how long does it take to lose it?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »
I read something in an article on Facebook about losing muscle and now I can't find the article, argh. But it did say it takes 2 weeks to start to lose muscle, more time to gain it back.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »
Talked to a personal trainer last year.  She said about a year to develop a muscle.  Seemed long to me.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Pyraxis says the cantaloupe is bad because it went dark. It's not growing anything and not smelly, just a darker orange than it was. It looks waterlogged but tastes fine, but I said I would ask before eating any more.

So if it doesn't smell or taste bad and it just looks a little weird, can I eat it?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 01:08:27 AM »
Pyraxis says the cantaloupe is bad because it went dark. It's not growing anything and not smelly, just a darker orange than it was. It looks waterlogged but tastes fine, but I said I would ask before eating any more.

So if it doesn't smell or taste bad and it just looks a little weird, can I eat it?
I would still eat it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
I have wallpapered a significant portion of my walls with calendar photos of islands and beaches and rainbows (my version of hatchmarks on the cell wall, lol).  My goal is eventually to have no wall showing beneath a certain point on the walls.

Fixable, if so. She should get one of those daylight rigs that are supposed to wake people up in the morning using blueish light.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

I would still eat it.

It sounds like it's just over-ripe.

Whole, Uncut Cantaloupe

Uncut cantaloupe stays fresh at room temperature for two to four days, depending on its ripeness, and up to 10 days in the refrigerator. Near the end of those time periods, soft, squishy areas with dark bruises or splotches indicate that the cantaloupe passed its prime. A strong, unpleasant odor even before you cut it is also a sign of spoilage.

Cut Melon Pieces

After three to four days in the refrigerator, cantaloupe can spoil. Signs of spoilage include a whitish, slimy film that you can see and feel on the surface of the flesh, soft sections of flesh that also appear whitish instead of orange, and an excess of liquid in the container holding cut-up, sliced melon. Throw away the entire cantaloupe if you see these conditions.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8190637_tell-cantaloupe-gone-bad.html

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

Fixable, if so. She should get one of those daylight rigs that are supposed to wake people up in the morning using blueish light.
They're full spectrum lights.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »
Is there a way to get rid of mold/lintscum around the top of a washing machine?  Also is there a way to do it that doesn't involve using chemicals that will stain the next load(s)?

Top loader.

You can try the white vinegar/baking soda method...which is probably the safest, but may or may not be totally effective. (My 10 yr old top loader gets pretty funky since we have hard water, so I normally have to go with the bleach soak/vinegar rinse for it to be 100%)

http://www.diynatural.com/how-to-clean-a-washing-machine/

This is normally the method I use with mine, except I only use 2 cups of bleach (asthma), and let it sit overnight with the bleach, and follow with the vinegar the next morning:

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/11/how-to-clean-your-top-load-washing-machine.html
UPDATE:  It worked!  Vinegar and baking soda, and hopefully more elbow grease than I'll have to use in the future if I keep up with it better.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
If an LED and a halogen bulb have the same number of lumens, would the halogen burn hotter? We have halogen and tried an LED bulb but it seems to be just as hot.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 07:00:09 AM »
If an LED and a halogen bulb have the same number of lumens, would the halogen burn hotter? We have halogen and tried an LED bulb but it seems to be just as hot.

The halogen would be hotter, the LED still can put off a good bit of heat, but not as much...and consumes less power.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »
I have a Beretta Airlight (I used to collect knives) that was wounded in Florida. It looks like corrosion from the acid humidity down there. Most of it I can polish out but some of it is on the part of the blade that has a matte finish.
Apparently they don't make the orange one anymore - 94.50 on feebay to replace it. I could pay $60 for the updated model. This one is second to my Kalashnikov in favorites so I'd prefer to get the spots off than to replace it.

Any ideas?

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:54 AM »
I have a Beretta Airlight (I used to collect knives) that was wounded in Florida. It looks like corrosion from the acid humidity down there. Most of it I can polish out but some of it is on the part of the blade that has a matte finish.
Apparently they don't make the orange one anymore - 94.50 on feebay to replace it. I could pay $60 for the updated model. This one is second to my Kalashnikov in favorites so I'd prefer to get the spots off than to replace it.

Any ideas?

I would try letting it soak with a good penetrating oil for 24 hrs before touching it.

I am a pro at screwing up the matte finish on anything from over zealous cleaning...the less I touch it, the better off normally I am I've found.  :facepalm2:

For polishing the blades, and vintage metal I have always used Simichrome with very good results, but many recommend Flitz now because some say it's less abrasive....and of course some say it's not.   ::)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/343386-Simichrome-Polish-vs-Flitz

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

Any ideas?

I would try letting it soak with a good penetrating oil for 24 hrs before touching it.

I am a pro at screwing up the matte finish on anything from over zealous cleaning...the less I touch it, the better off normally I am I've found.  :facepalm2:

For polishing the blades, and vintage metal I have always used Simichrome with very good results, but many recommend Flitz now because some say it's less abrasive....and of course some say it's not.   ::)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/343386-Simichrome-Polish-vs-Flitz

I found this for Fitz:
https://www.gfs.com/sites/gfs.com/files/930555.pdf
I was thinking of using my diatomaceous earth to make a polish but I think aluminum oxide might be finer. I have jeweler's rouge as well, but I think that is less fine. I use the rouge for finishing the nibs of fountain pens after grinding them to EF size.

But now I am wondering how they get that matte finish in the first place and if that could be a DIY project.

#Dancewithgarygopher