Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16093 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2017, 06:29:17 AM »
What are some exercises, ergonomics and any other helpful stuff to do for hyperextended knees?

Apparently my knees go backwards a bit. :/
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
What are some exercises, ergonomics and any other helpful stuff to do for hyperextended knees?

Yeah!  Welcome to the club.  I've double jointed knees, hips, elbows and fingers.  Not enough to cause many problems, but enough that I notice.  AFAIK it's caused by loose/stretched ligaments (tendons?) and can't really be strengthened, fused or shortened by exercises.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »

Yeah!  Welcome to the club.  I've double jointed knees, hips, elbows and fingers.  Not enough to cause many problems, but enough that I notice.  AFAIK it's caused by loose/stretched ligaments (tendons?) and can't really be strengthened, fused or shortened by exercises.
Yeah, but you can strengthen muscles to avoid putting more strain on the ligaments.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2017, 07:16:24 AM »
Hyperextended knee exercises

Two of the most common exercises for hyperextended knee are given below.
Quarter squats

Squat slightly, keeping your back straight.
    Stop as soon as you feel pressure or pain in the knee.
    Hold for a few seconds before returning and repeating.

This exercise is meant to strengthen the ligaments that hold the knee in position.
Step ups

Place a low stool in front of you with the injured leg on top of the stool.
    Step up and down until you are fatigued.
    You can even use the bottom stair for this exercise instead of a stool.

Swimming is also considered a good exercise for hyperextended knees.

Apart from injury, there could be a few other reasons for hyperextend knee. For example, there are some people who may have very strong quadriceps muscles, and the integrity of the joint itself may not be bad. Yet, they will have hyperextended knees because the hamstrings are very lose. This could happen because of wrong posture while standing or even jumping and not cushioning the fall by bending the knees. Any exercise that targets the hamstring will benefit here.

http://www.yogawiz.com/articles/715/yoga-exercises/exercises-for-hyperextended-knee.html#continued

Also:

Straight leg raises
    Lateral Step up
    Wall sits
    Quad sets with towel
    Hamstring stretch
    Exercise bike
    Swimming

Hope that helps some.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
Isn't exercise a four letter word?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #410 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Isn't exercise a four letter word?

Some days.  :LOL:  I miss biking...didn't get a lot of chance to do that last year.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #411 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
Biking? Is that where you have to do most of the work yourself? :orly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #412 on: February 09, 2017, 03:06:49 AM »
what are the lies trans people tell themselves and how do they hurt others?

this was a comment made by gary in the ridiculously happy thread but too long ago to pursue there.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2017, 05:51:53 AM »

this was a comment made by gary in the ridiculously happy thread but too long ago to pursue there.

They lie to themselves about who they are, and sometimes also their own sexuality. Living that lie is one thing, but inviting someone else to live it with them is another. Changing gender means changing into someone their spouse isn't physically attracted to, a different person than they married. It's a breach of trust they themselves have established, and at a base level. I guess I could have said they lie to their spouses, but it's my opinion they lie to themselves and have invited someone else to invest themselves in that.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
Hyperextended knee exercises

Two of the most common exercises for hyperextended knee are given below.
Quarter squats

Squat slightly, keeping your back straight.
    Stop as soon as you feel pressure or pain in the knee.
    Hold for a few seconds before returning and repeating.

This exercise is meant to strengthen the ligaments that hold the knee in position.
Step ups

Place a low stool in front of you with the injured leg on top of the stool.
    Step up and down until you are fatigued.
    You can even use the bottom stair for this exercise instead of a stool.

Swimming is also considered a good exercise for hyperextended knees.

Apart from injury, there could be a few other reasons for hyperextend knee. For example, there are some people who may have very strong quadriceps muscles, and the integrity of the joint itself may not be bad. Yet, they will have hyperextended knees because the hamstrings are very lose. This could happen because of wrong posture while standing or even jumping and not cushioning the fall by bending the knees. Any exercise that targets the hamstring will benefit here.

http://www.yogawiz.com/articles/715/yoga-exercises/exercises-for-hyperextended-knee.html#continued

Also:

Straight leg raises
    Lateral Step up
    Wall sits
    Quad sets with towel
    Hamstring stretch
    Exercise bike
    Swimming

Hope that helps some.
:thumbup:
Though my hamstrings are actually insanely tight and always have been (possibly to compensate?).  But maybe that doesn't translate so much to 'strong."

Also the use of what look like disclosure triangles as list bullets for plain ol' vanilla unclickable list items is obnoxious.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

They lie to themselves about who they are, and sometimes also their own sexuality. Living that lie is one thing, but inviting someone else to live it with them is another. Changing gender means changing into someone their spouse isn't physically attracted to, a different person than they married. It's a breach of trust they themselves have established, and at a base level. I guess I could have said they lie to their spouses, but it's my opinion they lie to themselves and have invited someone else to invest themselves in that.  :dunno:
hm, i suppose that could be true. i met one in a practicum and another in another practicum and neither man wanted to be the woman they thought they were. One had been raised female by a family dominated by females. He presented poorly and might not have been lying when he said he just wanted to be a man. he wasn't clear on it and because it was a practicum i referred him out for long term therapy.

the other was without doubt the scariest client i've encountered, including those who threatened me with violence. He thought of himself as a cross dresser and that he was doing it for fun, but it had gotten to the point where his wife was unhappy (even though he wasn't stealing her underwear anymore) and he was unhappy as well, because the person he was cross dressed was spending all his money. He was also afraid that she wanted to take over completely. He asked to come in cross dressed. I consulted with my supervisor and he said OK.

When she came in it was clear that it was a case of dissociative identity disorder. She wasn't wearing that much makeup and she didn't look like him at all. I've only seen this phenomenon in two other people (also hair raising experiences). Even the voice was different. There was no sign of him at all. She talked about how inferior he was and how she deserved more time. She angrily stated her intent to kill him and left while i was consulting with my supervisor. I don't remember what we did about duty to warn but I never saw him again.

The other two were people whose faces clearly changed when they changed personalities. one showed me pics and i had to stop myself from saying that isn't you. the other had changes that looked like even the cheekbones changed, and the voice changed too, and without warning. one day i found myself talking to a six year old. neither person was aware of the differences in appearance or voice.

so trans people lying to themselves i think is complicated. it always feels worse when you're the spouse. you feel betrayed. you feel like the person you thought you knew is gone, and in their place is someone who has been concealing things from you and that maybe you shouldn't trust. you question your judgement. but maybe that person has been trying on the new identity, sparked by something on the news or that they read in a magazine or book that called to them and said, "this is you." there is no way of predicting when that will happen. or if after exploring and testing, they decide it's not them, and the person with whom they thought they would spend the rest of their life, and in whom they invested themselves with is gone.

i am wholeheartedly on the side of the spouse whose SO knew and didn't say so when they got married or partnered or whatever. that's lying. but i think it's hard for both sides when it's a new discovery and they are both still in love and then what? i've heard this story not just about trans people but gay and bisexual people as well. i have to wonder on what the relationship was based if when the revelation is made, the first question (instead of 'wow, that's tough, how are you doing?'), is "how long have you known about this?" which to me is a thinly disguised " should i trust you anymore?"

my cousin came out as gay to his wife after some difficult soul searching. they stayed (sans sex) married and raised a child until he died of AIDS.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #416 on: February 09, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
I guess I just have trouble seeing gender identity as something that comes about as some sort of new discovery to anyone.  :dunno: I think it's possible I'm being nice by saying they lie to themselves, because I think it's most likely they have no intention of hurting their spouse even though they do, and to say they lie to their spouse would imply some level of intent.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »
I guess I just have trouble seeing gender identity as something that comes about as some sort of new discovery to anyone.  :dunno: I think it's possible I'm being nice by saying they lie to themselves, because I think it's most likely they have no intention of hurting their spouse even though they do, and to say they lie to their spouse would imply some level of intent.

there are some published cases. this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer knew when he was 14 after his doctor declared him successfully raised female, but some people buy into the lie of two genders and don't realize there can be other things. there are all kinds of so called anomalies. many have their medical histories hidden from them.

this is from the intersex society of north america's homepage: "Though we speak of intersex as an inborn condition, intersex anatomy doesn’t always show up at birth. Sometimes a person isn’t found to have intersex anatomy until she or he reaches the age of puberty, or finds himself an infertile adult, or dies of old age and is autopsied. Some people live and die with intersex anatomy without anyone (including themselves) ever knowing."

as for intent, again i agree with you. if there is knowledge and an intent to deceive, then consequences are in order. i agree that it does happen, just saying the the other happens as well.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
Now I feel like we're talking about two different things. Sure I can understand how someone's chromosomal gender might come as a new discovery, but I'm not sure what that has to do with gender identity. If anything, that Wikipedia link supports what I'm thinking, and that's gender identity forms in childhood, and I don't think people change their minds about that later.  :dunno:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I have a friend that came out as male only a few years ago.

His mother basically planned his life out for him in high school. I think she only wanted the best for him, she wanted him not to struggle like she had in life...but in a way I think it was a big roadblock for him in coming out. She was too involved in telling him how to live his life, so it took him longer to figure how "he" wanted to live it. 

I think some people live in denial, deep in their heart they know, but are way too worried about how it will effect their parents, extended family, friends, job...etc. They are afraid to "disappoint" the people they love, they are afraid they will lose them. So they try to live a lie to please someone else until they are too unhappy with themselves to do it anymore.   

You can tell someone that true love is about acceptance...and that it won't make a difference...but it's still has to be an enormously hard step to take. In some families it has to be worse than others. I could just imagine if one of my BIL's had suddenly came out to my dysfunctional narrow-minded in-laws about 10 years ago.

What a shit show worthy of a televised mini series that would have been.  :o