Author Topic: Game of Riddles  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Game of Riddles
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
OK, here's another one:

3 men split a pizza at an expensive Italian restaurant. Each man paid $10. The waiter took the money but was a bit pissed that he got no tip. However, when he delivered it to the manager the manager said that the pizza should only have been $25, and gave him five one-dollar bills to return to the customers. Since the waiter could not divide five dollar bills evenly by three, he decided to keep $2 as a tip and give each man $1 back.

Now, here's the tricky part: Each man actually paid $9 for the pizza. There were three men, 3x9=27, so the pizza really cost $27. The waiter kept $2. 27+2=29. So if there was $29 involved, where did the extra dollar go?

The pizza actually cost $25, PMS Elle.  The waiter kept a $2 tip, so $25 + $2 = $27, which is the same as 3 * $9, which is the same as 3 * $10 - 3 * $1 in change each person got.  There is no inconsistency.  You are making a mistake adding the $2 tip twice, when you should only add it once.  $29 has nothing to do with the situation.  There is no extra dollar.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »
The manager stole it.  Sly bastard.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2007, 12:10:34 AM »
Actually, two men paid $8.33 for the pizza and one paid $8.34. That is $25 altogether. For the tip, two of the men paid $0.67 and one paid $0.66. That is $2. The men paid $27 (including tip), and they got $3 back from the $30 they had given. As the others said, you added the tip twice.

Scrapheap

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2007, 01:16:29 AM »
Actually, two men paid $8.33 for the pizza and one paid $8.34. That is $25 altogether. For the tip, two of the men paid $0.67 and one paid $0.66. That is $2. The men paid $27 (including tip), and they got $3 back from the $30 they had given. As the others said, you added the tip twice.

and this point matters because..................................................................................................?? ?? ??

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2007, 05:42:22 AM »

and this point matters because..................................................................................................?? ?? ??

Because the question was asked.

::)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2007, 08:08:39 AM »
You guys are right; the math is presented screwily.

Now for one of my favorite riddles...

A woman sees a man at her father's funeral and instantly falls in love with him, and knows in her heart she is meant to be with him. Unfortunately she does not get his name and number, and cannot contact him.

Then, she kills her sister.

Why?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »
Because she's crazy?

Scrapheap

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
Was the man her mother's lover??

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2007, 11:24:27 AM »

A woman sees a man at her father's funeral and instantly falls in love with him, and knows in her heart she is meant to be with him. Unfortunately she does not get his name and number, and cannot contact him.

Why?
so there will be another funeral and she can see the man again?
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »

Why?

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!  YES!  WE HAVE A WINNER!

And, by the way:

CONGRATULATIONS, MCJ!  You can think like a psychopath!

I love telling people the punchline to getting that one right.  I heard it first in abnormal psych and the student who got it right (not me) wans't pleased.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »
I felt toasty warm with pride when I saw my abnormal psych teachers reaction to me getting that question right.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Scrapheap

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!  YES!  WE HAVE A WINNER!

And, by the way:

CONGRATULATIONS, MCJ!  You can think like a psychopath!

I love telling people the punchline to getting that one right.  I heard it first in abnormal psych and the student who got it right (not me) wans't pleased.

Again, I read too much into the question. I already ASSUMED she was killing her sister to create another funeral to see the man again. I was trying to come up with the relationship and why she did'nt know this guy's name. I deduced that the mother was no longer married to the father and had a lover that the woman wasn't aquainted with.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »

fuck off

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 10:47:16 PM »

fuck off

me-ooooow!
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2007, 06:22:11 PM »
A group of people live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of his own eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. If anyone has figured out the color of his own eyes, he [must] leave the island that midnight.

On this island live 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru. The Guru has green eyes, and does not know her own eye color either. Everyone on the island knows the rules and the properties stated above (except that they are not given the total numbers of each eye color) and is constantly aware of everyone else's eye color. Everyone keeps a constant count of the total number he sees of each (excluding themselves). However, they cannot otherwise communicate. So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes, but that does not tell him his own eye color; it could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and the one could have red eyes.

The Guru speaks only once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone with blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb, It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

And lastly, the answer is not "no one leaves."