Educational

Author Topic: Superfoods  (Read 283 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Superfoods
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:00 AM »
Yesterday I watched a program about superfood.
And it made me wonder, what is being marketed as superfood in various countries.

Apparently a very basic vegetable here in the Netherlands, kale, is now a hype in some parts of the USA, because all of a sudden it can be marketed as a superfood.

Over twenty years ago, I ate quinoa on a regular basis. It was quite affordable for a student back then. Now it is priced beyond my range, because all of a sudden, it is superfood. (seems that animal food shops still have it at a very low price, btw).

So, it got me curious. What is being hyped and sold at absurd costs where? And is this product basic and cheap food elsewhere?

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Superfoods
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »
Here in Australia quinoa is available in some cereals and it is expensive. When I visited my mum I had gluten free Weet-Bix. Anything gluten free is a big deal here. I have wondered whether those on gluten free diets who don't need to be are doing the best thing for their health.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
Had only seen the second half of the program. Now saw the first half too. Hilarious. A birdseed seller telling that because of the hype some of the birdseeds he sells have become twice as expensive.

The meta-talk of all the marketers if very funny.

I wonder why people want processed dried grounded South-American stuff, when pretending to eat healthy and barely processed.

Being aware what you eat is one thing. Smart and will have effect. Trying to make up for an unhealthy lifestyle with a shot of wheatgrass? One of those customerservice ladies telling a shot of wheatgrass (tiny glass) contains as much minerals vitamins and fibers as a kilogram of vegetables? How can people believe that?

Sometimes people are so funny to observe.

One does not drink wheatgrassjuice btw. One experiences wheatgrassjuice. Just so you know.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:13:29 AM »
Marketing is funny. Apparently if you tell people that there is a high percentage of polysaccharides, people will assume that it will make them very healthy. It will give them energy. If you say that it contains a high percentage of carbs, they will not eat it.

:lol1:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
It's too bad that Penn & Teller are no longer doing their debunking show, BULLSHIT!.

They could have lots of fun debunking superfood hysteria and they's show plenty of :bounce: in the process.

They did do an episode on organtic food bullshit though, it was kinda funny.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 02:04:23 AM »
It's too bad that Penn & Teller are no longer doing their debunking show, BULLSHIT!.

They could have lots of fun debunking superfood hysteria and they's show plenty of :bounce: in the process.

Growing food organic will do bees and soil-structure a lot of good. And it is good to have cattle and fowl having some antibiotics of their own. Biodiversity is a great thing too.
Driving miles and miles extra, to get some organic grown carrots for ones own health is defeating the purpose I think. Never in times of written history did people get as old, as now, and in such a good condition too. (western world, that is) So, eating organic for ones own health, don't know what that will do.
And then there is taste. I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years by now. When I smell the scent of a home garden grown chicken being turned into soup, my mouth waters. When I smell the scent of a bio-industrial blown up chicken being turned into soup, I gag. You don't have to tell me what is what. The scent tells it.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
One does not drink wheatgrassjuice btw. One experiences wheatgrassjuice. Just so you know.

I experienced it once thanks to Shashigai. Horrendous stuff.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »

Growing food organic will do bees and soil-structure a lot of good. And it is good to have cattle and fowl having some antibiotics of their own. Biodiversity is a great thing too.

I think the problem lies with what is legaly allowed to be defined as organic (esp here in the US where it was filmed). Often times there is no significant difference therefore it's just a way to mark up the price of food.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
The rules are pretty strict here, in the Netherlands. Break one of the rules, and you will not be able to carry the EKO stamp.