Author Topic: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
I have plenty of tame deer and turkeys. Unfortunately, no ranged weapons here.

Wood everywhere, and an ax. Lots of hippy gardens not far away. I think I'd have
to count on some goodwill though.

With my eyesight, I'm not gonna last too long anyhow.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 02:14:45 AM »
My zombie apocalypse plans have not changed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:28 AM »
The wealth, privilege, influence and control wielded by the very wealthy is unprecedented.

There is no need for conspiracy theories, no need for the Illuminati. It's all out in the open.

A perceived, and somewhat real, threat of terrorism has allowed governments to exert a degree of control over populations that will make any sort of revolutionary overthrow of the status quo all but impossible. If Scrap and I start stockpiling weapons and plotting.... we'll be locked up as terrorists, lickety split. Or, more likely, taken out by a team of Navy Seals.

People pissed off with the status quo CAN, of course, vote for whatever weirdo is promising to make America (or Australia, or Britain) great again. But the saviour of the working class..... turns out to be a puppet of the wealthy. Unsurprisingly.

How do governments get their people to consent to this bollocks? I'm not smart enough to explain that, but you could always consult Chomsky. Chomsky has been Woke As Fuck since the fucking stone age or thereabouts.

TLDR: Shit's not gonna hit the fan. Because the people who really run the world have waaaaay too much to lose, more than people like us can even imagine. We are accepting their new status quo already - job security gone, real income linked to productivity gone, real democracy gone.

Of course there are things beyond the control of the oligarchs. Huge natural disasters (Lake Toba or Yellowstone goes off, the magnetic poles decide to switch, global warming turns out to be real after all and we hit a "tipping point" we didn't see coming) or a global pandemic (not limited to a zombie apocalypse) and most of us are going to be fucked.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
The wealth, privilege, influence and control wielded by the very wealthy is unprecedented.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. We don't even have a god king.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »

No, but I2 has a good Queen or two.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »

Nobody appreciates good hyperbole any more!
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
Jack appreciated it; that was good.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2018, 06:46:49 AM »
If yellowstone decides to blow its top, pretty much half the continent is buggered, no? an explosion THAT big is going to wipe out everything in the immediate vicinity (orders of magnitude beyond the kind of ground zero any kind of terrorist attack bar perhaps an efficient and well-coordinated successful biological attack by a group with resources could possibly hope to cause [the thought of something like a hybridization of ebola reston (harmless to humans, but airborne, unlike ebola zaire, sudan, tai forest and bundibugyo) with ebola zaire or sudan (the two most lethal, respectively but neither is vectored via airborne transmission, bar close-range secondary transmission of coughed up blood aerosols affecting those providing  immediate care)...shit, it wouldn't even need a geneticist's knowledge. Given the way viruses replicate, infecting a host with both strains could be as little as  it takes to create, potentially, an airborne, lethal filovirus-based weapon).

Then theres aftershocks, disruption of power supplies and one bloody big toxic, corrosive hadean fart of a gas cloud. Only those on the very outskirts of a disaster like that, or else access to private aircraft (maybe, assuming they weren't wiped out immediately, at medium damage range..just maybe..not sure how feasible that would be). Any closer than on the outskirts of the range, theres just no GTFO from something like that. 

In a human-based (as opposed to zombie apocalypse scenario where you need to physically destroy heads and endless-waves of brain-hungry corpses) SHTF, I could defend this place for a while I should think, using poison gas, phosphorus bombs, conventional fuel-based incendiaries and explosives. Not got the likes of the latter ready made, but mixing together a fuel-oxidizer type low-explosive mixture and using it to propel shrapnel would be fairly effective against a mob at the door type scenario.

If its ALL gone to hell in a handbasket, and things are reduced to pockets of survivors then I'd be packing the more useful of the chemistry set and resources, first thing though would be to grab my sword and rob as many DIY stores, pharmacies and sources of edible provisions, plus the gardening supplies to grow crops (although I do  have a fairly good knowledge of what you can eat as far as things that grow), and yes, if things got that bad, and the resource hotspots that would need to be targeted first, as above, and fuel supplies etc.  staff put up resistance they'd get the choice of either forming up some resistance effort or being killed for getting in the way.

Should be able to fabricate some moderately-effective firearms using the lathe (even without power, it would be possible to run it, given that its powered by a gear system and drive belt, so interfacing it with a liquid fuelled motor ought to be doable long enough to bore out something akin to a shotgun barrel and it wouldn't take me long to make some black powder, I have everything needed if I wanted to put it to that use, save the charcoal, and I could come up with that easily enough..or better, save the nitrates for nitric acid production and HE manufacture..used to do all kinds of such things as a kid and young teen. Probably have to switch to perchlorate or chlorate-based explosives when the nitrate supplies run down...but for some personal protection or hunting it'd do.  ) Or in an emergency, rely on torsion-propelled weapons and blowgun weapons. Theres an awful lot of nasty things I could come up with for that, be it chemically synthesized or extracted from plants.

Weaponry-wise, given a little time, then even a rocket-launcher wouldn't be out of the question. Not sure how well the best I could do would fare against a modern tank with explosive-reactive armor plate, spaced armor etc. but could probably come up with something that would do for older models using homogenous armor (first idea would be to go for killing the crew and doing minimal damage to the vehicle itself with HESH rounds, HE rounds designed to form a pad of explosive on the outer surface of the tank wall, and then blow the explosive, the shockwaves passing through the armor cause the metal on the interior side to spall off at high speed and make meatpaste out of the crew)

Have a few rather valuable goods for trade, albeit that are of no use to me in a survival situation-a very large stash of penicillin-group antibiotics. I use the stuff for cultures, but couldn't take them to treat an infection since I'm allergic. But something like that  would be better than currency in the case of everything going 'fallout'

Pros in favour of my survival longterm-useful as hell to have around given my knowledgebase and supplies, ability to prepare and use explosives, which few would be able to access here in the UK, likewise, chemical weapons if needed, DAMN good knowledge of wild edible and toxic and medicinal plants and fungi, medical knowledge. Logical personality and good ability to keep my head screwed on in a crisis.

Cons-long term leg injury, need to take pain meds, would have to detox from daily opioid use and taper using supplies...liberated..from the pharmacies, using as many of the non-opioid metabolic manipulation type tricks I know. And it'd slow me down from day to day, using pain relief only at night (otherwise I just can't sleep).

Very low tolerance for idiots. Too many of them around. If someone is going to endanger me due to that, chances are it wouldn't be the zombies and/or plague that killed them. It'd be me if they didn't shape up quickly. I'd sooner be eating them than have someone's stupidity get me killed. Which might well not be too popular with fellow survivors.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
The last time a supervolcano went off was Lake Toba (in Sumatra) 70,000 years ago.

Proponents of the genetic bottleneck theory (including Robock) suggest that the Toba eruption resulted in a global ecological disaster, including destruction of vegetation along with severe drought in the tropical rainforest belt and in monsoonal regions. For example, a 10-year volcanic winter triggered by the eruption could have largely destroyed the food sources of humans and caused a severe reduction in population sizes. Τhese environmental changes may have generated population bottlenecks in many species, including hominids; this in turn may have accelerated differentiation from within the smaller human population. Therefore, the genetic differences among modern humans may reflect changes within the last 70,000 years, rather than gradual differentiation over hundreds of thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

So the eruption itself might wipe out half a continent, but the whole world is in trouble from the after effects.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
I imagine the population reduction would  be lesser, on a global scale than it would have been 70 thousand years ago, given the presence of more advanced resources  to call on, rather than bugger all but skins and stone tools. Would still be a fucking mess at best. At least the stinking rich (or is that rich and  stinking...)would  probably survive, as long as they didn't happen to be on the north american landmass at the time. Isn't that reassuring.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »
I'm not sure. Marshalling enough resources to try and keep alive the huge overage of humans
infesting the planet is probably beyond the overall capacity - and we'd probably see a reduction
in line with what natural techniques could actually support. That would be a larger die off of
humans than such disasters would have created proportionally. Whatever additional survival
would accrue from vestigial technology centers that might remain would not come close to
offsetting the overpopulation currently present.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
I wasn't trying to suggest it would even come close to negating the massive die-off. My point was that at least some response can be mounted, what with the ability to preserve and stockpile food, clean tainted water, recycle water in closed environments etc.

And depending on the scope of the die-off, it might well be futile and counterproductive to mount relief efforts worldwide. The poorer countries, africa etc. would probably either be accorded great pity and corresponding aid, or fucked off as they have been plenty of times already.

From a european point of view (discounting  an american point of view, since there wouldn't be much of it left, and they wouldn't be distributing aid, they'd be asking for it) then it would make more sense to batten down the hatches and try and survive it, rather than pissing away  resources to people who are probably not going to survive it anyway.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »
I don't think the national govts would survive.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:02 AM »
Aside from the fact I care about certain individuals in the US (and especially, an ex of mine lives in montana, and I really, really wouldn't want to see her end up vaporized or gassed. Starving to death is unlikely in her case since she'd be close enough to ground zero for there to be nowt left of her but a fossil at best, and considering shes 52 IIRC she has thus far retained a near uncanny degree of the glow of youth about her, so that would be a pretty rotten downturn for her generally speaking, and completely fuck over the advantage of her good genes in that respect....if it isn't bad enough luck that your located close to ground zero at the natural equivalent of a bloody big arsenal of nuclear weapons all set to go off right up your ass, its adding insult to injury to add sandblasting to one's facial and bodily care regime to the sort of degree that quite defies both description and irony both)

Natures way of fucking someone in the ass so hard that it turns into getting skullfucked.

And a few other people close enough that I really care about within the 'totally fucked for sure' zone (not quite sure how far it would extend to, where survivors might begin, at least in the short term, those who weren't instantly annihilated by the initial blast, magma, clouds of acidic toxic gases, sulfur vapor and pyroclastic flows, to possibly exist, but I've enough idea to know where WOULD  be wiped out for sure, that much doesn't take too much thought given the size of the latent natural disaster in question).

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »
Apocalyptic volcanic meltdowns aside, and back to the OP. Live in an area with high potential for natural disaster, so short term emergency preparedness is a given. Personal preparedness plans improved quite a bit about a year ago; it's as if I felt it coming.