Educational

Author Topic: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I don't have a hole in the ground worth protecting. I would be happy to GTFO of dodge, but a long-term farming solution is still needed.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »
I don't have a hole in the ground worth protecting. I would be happy to GTFO of dodge, but a long-term farming solution is still needed.

Getting the fuck out is a very short term solution. One can only carry just so much sustenance.

I do not not have an adequate plan for all contingencies either.

I have a generator (talk aboout short term!) but not enough fuel to last more than a week or so in winter. I have two wood burning stoves, but not much more than a few months worth or wood stored. I have about a years worth of dried goods, but again, not so much protein stored, AND seriously, only about a month worth of water for a family of four IF we almost die of thirst.
I am way less prepared than I wish I was.

My point for this thread is to get people thinking about What If!?!?!?!?  (dunno, hurricane, tsunami, tornado, worst case scenario? Dunno  Not the point! None of us can know what we should be prepared for.)

How prepared are you to live on your own and defend yourself for about a year or so if everything you hold dear and accept for granted ends tomorrow?

I am not prepared! I can defend our home with simple weaponry for many months. but not sure that there would be anything left to defend after a week or so.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
Instead of allowing my last negative-feeling post put you off, think in terms of, "Wait a damn minute! What is important to me? What can I do to keep myself and my loved ones alive and safe totally on OUR OWN.?!??!"

Kind of a "thought experiment,"   mostly, but not that far removed from outside possibilities.

AM I the only one thinking about this stuff?

My plan is to increase the amount of protein we have vacuum packed, store more drinking water, ensure that no one knows what I am doing (so I do not have to use my guns, except for bringing home protein) and just keep stowing away non-perishable food, spices, generator fuel, wood, salt, alcohol (mainly for medicinal and bartering purposes), gazillions of seeds and maybe, just to keep my life full, a few sets of replacement guitar strings.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2014, 02:09:47 AM »
If the zombie holocaust happens, I'll be able to defend our home for about a day or so. After that I'll start to worry.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
This thread reminds me of some Civil Defense advice I read years ago.

If you were crossing the Mississippi River on a ferry and there was a nuclear attack, the ferry was supposed to turn downriver and head for the Gulf of Mexico. 

Now, there is this little ferry, limited fuel, no food or water, limited steering capability, etc. battling the monstrous sea going vessels and maneuverable tug boats to see who's going to go first.  The only good thing is that this ferry was the closest one to the Mouth of the Mississippi.

Even if we weren't run over, we'd soon die in the Gulf.   
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »

If you were crossing the Mississippi River on a ferry and there was a nuclear attack, the ferry was supposed to turn downriver and head for the Gulf of Mexico. 

Now, there is this little ferry, limited fuel, no food or water, limited steering capability, etc. battling the monstrous sea going vessels and maneuverable tug boats to see who's going to go first.  The only good thing is that this ferry was the closest one to the Mouth of the Mississippi.

Yep, and if my plane crashes into the ocean, I can use my seat as a flotation device.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:05 AM »
If the zombie holocaust happens, I'll be able to defend our home for about a day or so. After that I'll start to worry.

If the zombies are Swedish, they'd be very uncomfortable getting within two feet of you. :orly:

Yep, and if my plane crashes into the ocean, I can use my seat as a flotation device.  :zoinks:

:laugh:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »

If the zombies are Swedish, they'd be very uncomfortable getting within two feet of you. :orly:

I'm an equal opportunity zombie hunter. Swedish zombies, Finnish zombies, UK zombies... Just bring em on. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:42 AM »
yes, meat a buddy. who shail remain nameless. get some rifles. and his stash of API rounds. drop anyone who looks, sounds, or speaks remotely like the chinese. if i get my firearms license, it will be more then just me and buddy, and i will probably be doing it from a ways away with a .50 no need for AP there. uness they bring tanks, then ima run like a scared bitch.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »

My ASS is a flotation device.   :fuckyeahdance:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:23 AM »

My ASS is a flotation device.   :fuckyeahdance:

I thought Weeble asses were the centre of their weight.

A keel it may be, keeping you upright. But it will not keep you buoyant. That's what the rest of your Weeble body will have to do.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »

Let us be a little nervous for a moment, without going completely psycho.

Shit Hitting The Fan may have more meaning to those of us who have a lot to lose, but I understand if you have already met this horror in your own life. You are doing what we ALL NEED to learn to do.

If that is so, then your surviving proves that you can offer us couch sitters a lot to think about.

If not, then let us all discuss how we will deal with the possibility that things could go wrong for this comfy little world we treasure so much.

I think in terms of what happened in New Orleans when Katrina hit, or when the massive earth quake hit Japan a few years ago or that historic tsunami all over SE Asia. People killed for food and dry land.

Shit Hit The Fan!  To say the least! 

Even in LA in the late 80s,  a massive earthquake that hobbled that entire "well prepared" city, created a situation where people starved and killed each other for water.

DO you have a plan? Or are you so complacent that you think it could never happen to you or yours?

Do you have a plan?  Are you prepared to live for a couple of weeks with NO resources from your government, No electricity, No gas, No heat, No phone service, No ambulances, No police and No other outside help you might expect or NEED in order to just survive?

Are you prepared to defend yourself, your family and your resources from your neighbors if they become dodgy and decide to take yours?

Has any one else thought this through?

I have a few ideas.

I would love to hear yours!

I'm building a left-handed AR-15 in 6.5mm Grendel.   8)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
I have no illusions.  I'm either the gang leader's fool or I'm dead meat.  Probably dead meat.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »
My mom will take care of me.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »

I'm going to sound like a conspiracy theorist once I share my thoughts on this topic.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass