Educational

Author Topic: Has anyone here ever seen a tornado IRL?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Has anyone here ever seen a tornado IRL?
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Would like to see one of those too, just not from a boat.

I think it was last year they had two over Lake Michigan.

Wow. I'd love to see something like that some day. From a safe distance, that is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »

Incredible image!

I have seen pics of multiple waterspouts (water based tornadoes - still just as dangerous as a land based tornado) before, but never something like almost perfect twins right next to each other!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
  EDITED:
A 20 foot in diameter lightening bolt? christ, that would have made a squishy, partially vitrified, crunchy charred mess if it hit someone.

That BIG bolt that I saw never hit anyone.

All that one did was make a huge hole in the ground and turn some clay and topsoil into something resembling glass.

OK, the use of the word "huge" is wrong.  Maybe that is too imprecise of a term. THE hallow dish in the ground was about twenty five feet in diameter and about eighteen inches in depth at the center.

The truly amazing thing to me was that after stepping into the depression, the surface cracked because it was like baked sugar on a pie topping. Just by scratching around a bit we found "wiggly finger shapes of glass-like material" buried in the soil.

Then after deciding that it was All Really awesome and we had found all that there was to see, we began to notice a bunch of sparkles on the way back to the car. My estimation was that what was left of the twenty five foot depression, eighteen inches deep was distributed around the hole in tiny glass-like micro pebbles all around the area. We had not noticed these walking towards it, but leaving we were facing into the sun and everywhere we looked there were "pebbles of glass"  shining back at us.

Pretty sure THAT was what had happened to the soil missing from the hole.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:17:05 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
Yes, while it was "raised up" and before it dropped back down a few miles away.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »

Incredible image!

I have seen pics of multiple waterspouts (water based tornadoes - still just as dangerous as a land based tornado) before, but never something like almost perfect twins right next to each other!

Don't they look alive?

I'm in awe...what a perfect picture.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »
I am going to show my little brother those waterspouts. He will get a kick out of 'em.  :thumbup:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
The name for the glass 'finger's you found in the area the lightening bolt impacted is 'fulgurites'.  Formed by melting of sand and similar minerals by lightening strikes.

Got any pics of those, or the glass bead things you found? would be quite good to see those. The most typical shape is a hollow tube of fused glass and stone, but they sometimes form other more intricate structures. It could be worth digging in the crater too, as the bolt usually takes a path down some distance into the earth, vaporising or fusing things on its way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:41:21 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
The name for the glass 'finger's you found in the area the lightening bolt impacted is 'fulgurites'.  Formed by melting of sand and similar minerals by lightening strikes.

Got any pics of those, or the glass bead things you found? would be quite good to see those. The most typical shape is a hollow tube of fused glass and stone, but they sometimes form other more intricate structures. It could be worth digging in the crater too, as the bolt usually takes a path down some distance into the earth, vaporising or fusing things on its way.
Yes, I know what fulgurites are and how they are formed and how cool they are, etc, etc. I found buttloads of them the next day. I kept several really large ones, but you have to realize, this was thirty five years ago. The largest one I dug up was over three feet long and almost four inches in diameter. (it was the color of gold, but almost clear) It weighed over forty pounds! I gave most of them away to various people, but one I gave to a prof from UT.

The second day after the strike, when I went back to find more, there was a University Of Texas professor and his class on a field trip digging everything up.
They had been all over the place doing research. Apparently, there were other people watching the same thing I was watching, but not nearly as close on that night.
I talked a bit to a few people that day and decided to give them the big one I had found on the day after the strike. As far as I know, it is one of the largest they have ever found and it is still in the custody of the UT research team.

All the smaller ones I found were only wrist sized, about four or five inches long, and over time and after becoming tired of seeing them on top of my speakers, I gave them away.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
Thats a pretty impressive size, although true I don't have a great idea of usual maximum size.

Must have been one hell of a bolt to have created that monster one though, the temperature that thing had to have reached is insane, to have created such a large glass-lined crater.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
I kept the big one because it was mostly on top of the ground when I found it. Just a bit of scratching revealed it. Most of the other larger ones fell to sandy pebbles when touched. This is why (I still had it in my car) I decided to reveal it to the scientist wannabees and the uni prof and give it to them.

Still, after seeing the field of tiny to thumbnail sized glass balls spread over a hundred feet diameter "circle" most of the power of that bolt came into focus for me.  The small crater thing was one level of amazement, but seeing what was made of what left the hole was most impressive.

My buddy was pissed at me giving away that tube of glass (huge fulgurite), because he wanted make a bong out of it.
 :lol1:

Really!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
Haha.

Would have made for a neat and unusual, quite unique bong though you have to admit.