Educational

Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 73023 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #1245 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »
Watchin' Cloud cult set up!!

Hope it was as awesome as you expected!!

Inspirational! To be a non-profit, carbon neutral band like that is amazing. I am in contact with them about getting involved with some of their stuff, including Earthology Records. You can recycle your Jewel Cases by contacting them.  :headbang2:
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1246 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
Can't watch 2001 in anything less than 70mm, me.

Is 1080p in 5.1 DD on a 50" plasma acceptable? 

hardly

You must understand what he has at his fingertips, to get what he just said.

All that grainy shit from film annoys me, perhaps I'm just an ungrateful whippersnapper or something.

There's no grainy shit in a 70mm print. 2001 is nearly flawless. You could stand three feet from a VERY large theatre screen (as a matter of fact, I've done just that while the film was rolling) and not see any grain.

Although as far as 70mm prints are concerned, Ryan's Daughter is even better. It's a crappy film but the image is simply fabulous.

The last film I saw in 70mm was Pink Floyd The Wall nearly 13 years ago. The modern cinema experience has certainly gone downhill considering how much it costs these days.

The Wall was shot in 35mm, unfortunately, so the image quality just wasn't there. Great film, though.

Well there you go, ripped off at every turn. The only other 70mm experience I have is the Tron DVD which was transfered and restored from a 70mm print apparently. Good looking for DVD though.

You'd need to watch something like the restored Lawrence of Arabia to appreciate 70mm. Or 2001, obviously. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1247 on: April 16, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »
Can't watch 2001 in anything less than 70mm, me.

Is 1080p in 5.1 DD on a 50" plasma acceptable? 

hardly

You must understand what he has at his fingertips, to get what he just said.

All that grainy shit from film annoys me, perhaps I'm just an ungrateful whippersnapper or something.

There's no grainy shit in a 70mm print. 2001 is nearly flawless. You could stand three feet from a VERY large theatre screen (as a matter of fact, I've done just that while the film was rolling) and not see any grain.

Although as far as 70mm prints are concerned, Ryan's Daughter is even better. It's a crappy film but the image is simply fabulous.

The last film I saw in 70mm was Pink Floyd The Wall nearly 13 years ago. The modern cinema experience has certainly gone downhill considering how much it costs these days.

The Wall was shot in 35mm, unfortunately, so the image quality just wasn't there. Great film, though.

Well there you go, ripped off at every turn. The only other 70mm experience I have is the Tron DVD which was transfered and restored from a 70mm print apparently. Good looking for DVD though.

You'd need to watch something like the restored Lawrence of Arabia to appreciate 70mm. Or 2001, obviously. ;D

Are you talking about the early sixties version, starring Peter O'Toole, which was recently made avaible only in widescreen DVD?

If so, I bought that one last month in my buying spree (a concessional for all the fucking furniture shopping that I did with my wife - we have new furniture in the living room.   :yikes::yikes::yikes:  I have not yet taken it all in - it is a nightmare!! - many new things to trip over -  but i have napped on my recliner with my music going. I have my acceptance of this tortuous ordeal coming to a boil, but not yet attained.)

I might have that one, if so.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1248 on: April 16, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »

I loathe new furniture!!

Even worse is everything new at once!!

We have that!  I hate it. I can not find a place to sit in my own living room. I have to pace!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1249 on: April 16, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »

Are you talking about the early sixties version, starring Peter O'Toole, which was recently made avaible only in widescreen DVD?

That's the one. Don't know if the DVDs are made from the restored 70mm prints or not but I hope they are. Lawrence was actually shot in Ultra Panavision, with an aspect ratio of 2.66:1 (instead of the usual 2.21:1) so the "letterbox" should be even thinner than usual.

I have Lawrence on DVD but I've not managed to watch it. I miss the big screen too much. :(

If so, I bought that one last month in my buying spree (a concessional for all the fucking furniture shopping that I did with my wife - we have new furniture in the living room.   :yikes::yikes::yikes:  I have not yet taken it all in - it is a nightmare!! - many new things to trip over -  but i have napped on my recliner with my music going. I have my acceptance of this tortuous ordeal coming to a boil, but not yet attained.)

As I said, I don't know if the DVD is scanned from a 70mm print or not. It should have the intermission music intact if that is the case, and it should have an aspect ratio of 2.66:1.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1250 on: April 16, 2009, 04:18:52 PM »

That's the one. Don't know if the DVDs are made from the restored 70mm prints or not but I hope they are. Lawrence was actually shot in Ultra Panavision, with an aspect ratio of 2.66:1 (instead of the usual 2.21:1) so the "letterbox" should be even thinner than usual.

I have Lawrence on DVD but I've not managed to watch it. I miss the big screen too much. :(

As I said, I don't know if the DVD is scanned from a 70mm print or not. It should have the intermission music intact if that is the case, and it should have an aspect ratio of 2.66:1.

Now, I'm pissed!

It clearly states on the disk liner that the the aspect ratio is 2.55:1, nothing about how it was scanned, except that it was "restored from the original film"   what ever the fuck that could mean.  I am now wondering if it was "digitally anamorphosed"  or if it was simply cropped.

I though I had found something cool.
:bigcry:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1251 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
Not the Boston Bruins playoff game! WTF? Seriously, the #1 seed versus their hated rivals, for the 32nd time in playoff history, an all-time record for all sports. Shit! Bruins-Canadiens is considered second only to Red Sox-Yankees in most heated rivalries in all of sport. How does Vs. justify this attrocity?
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1252 on: April 17, 2009, 01:51:39 AM »

Now, I'm pissed!

It clearly states on the disk liner that the the aspect ratio is 2.55:1, nothing about how it was scanned, except that it was "restored from the original film"   what ever the fuck that could mean.  I am now wondering if it was "digitally anamorphosed"  or if it was simply cropped.

I though I had found something cool.
:bigcry:

I think you have a DVD scanned from a 70mm print. The difference in aspect ratio could be because their optical printer cannot handle 2.66. Ultra Panavision has been dead for 40 years and I suspect the lenses are hard to come by. Ultra Panavision was anamorphically edge-compressed to widen the image from 2.21 to 2.66, but even in the 60's, not many cinemas had the lenses.

so I don't think they've cropped it on purpose.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1253 on: April 19, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »
Spider-Man 2
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #1254 on: April 19, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
South Park from the start up until now.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1255 on: April 19, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
The Simpsons
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1256 on: April 19, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »
Mythbusters
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1257 on: April 19, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
Family Guy

Ha ha! I had White Castles today!!! :headbang2:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1258 on: April 20, 2009, 05:00:26 AM »
A movie called Rogue about a killer crocodile attacking tourists in the Northern Territory. "Ten passengers set sail that day for a two-hour tour... a two-hour tour...." :o

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1259 on: April 20, 2009, 05:56:07 AM »
It's TV free week no cartoons for me unless I want to watch them :clap:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw