Educational

Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 72952 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »
Ouch. That explains it--about the sub being placed "in the corner". I'd love to listen to your setup. Maybe not beyond 100 dB, but loud. ;D

How much is the roll-off around 12.5 kHz?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #1111 on: December 01, 2008, 07:01:45 PM »
The Moomins, childhood memories. :zoinks:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1112 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
Ouch. That explains it--about the sub being placed "in the corner". I'd love to listen to your setup. Maybe not beyond 100 dB, but loud. ;D

Why ouch? Even my tin-eared wife understands that this pursuit is a part of me that will never go away. Well, it will stop, but when it does, you can steal my toe tag.

Above 12kHz the JBL tens drop like a rock. It's been a while since I powered them, but it was around twelve dB per octave, quite unlike the roll off at the lower end of the spectrum. I set a cap in line to bring the bullets in at around 9kHz and there is no ill effect. Bullets are good above normal human hearing, but with titanium/beryllium diaphragms.  

My monitors (the ones I use for movies - they are too "clinical sounding" and a little to inefficient to work with my SET amps) are good to 22kHz, but I have lost some hearing in that octave, since my fall. The sound is perfect for movie soundtracks though.

My Visatons are really only good to around 18KHz, where they have a slight (but, pleasing) peak, then a rapid drop in response. Most of the music I listen to privately (jazz) has little in that range, but a few classical and acoustic recordings benefit from one of the three different Heil tweeters I can throw in there when I want.
I have just not ever fallen in love with the ribbon designs, though. It's their un-natural propagation patterns that are offensive. On axis, they are very nice, but there is more to music reproduction than a sweet spot. Few other dynamic systems can reproduce the ultra-highs like a ribbon, though. I wish I had paper drivers from end to end, but the only paper drivers capable of reproducing tones above 20kHz with authority, I can not afford, realistically. (before you admonish me, I know I have little hearing ability above twenty KHz these days, but I also KNOW that I can still hear a remarkable difference in music when I have a super tweet running, In fact I can easily tell the difference between two of my Heil drivers, when the only real world difference is one of them has response to twenty five KHZ, while the other boasts response to thirty two KHZ. Again, it's in the music that requires more listening and recordings that are done acoustically where you can sense the difference.)
Yes, I have tried to re-do some of my JBL horn drivers (which have incredibly fucking powerful, well machined magnet structures and highly sensitive voice coils) with paper diaphragms.  What ever magic the JBL wixards have created with their aluminum membranes, I can not yet achieve with paper or leather. Another back-burnered project.

If we watched "Master And Commander," with the center speaker set at eighty seven dB (which is where I prefer action movies)  you would experience low frequency pulses in the ten Hertz range in excess of one hundred twelve dB when they fire the cannons. It moves you.
Last night I was watching the (jim carey/ron howard) Grinch movie with the kids and I had forgotten how seriously Ron had lain in the LFE at certain times. I didn't get out my meters, but I was listening to Yngwie on the headphones and suddenly my chair quaked. (the tiny car had exploded   :D)

I don't think most people can conceive of what sub-audible tones can do for a movie lovers enjoyment. Only a select few have ever heard/felt what a DVD movie is capable of re-producing. They put the shit in there, but you need "speshul stuff" to experience it all.

I am just beginning to look into Blu-ray, but it seems that the sound stream is the basically the same. Only the vid has been upgraded.
I am sorely disappointed.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1113 on: December 01, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »
My daughter is watching Grinch movie I can't look I find it way to disturbing for some reason :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #1114 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »
Futurama on Comedy Central.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1115 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »
My daughter is watching Grinch movie I can't look I find it way to disturbing for some reason :-\

Was it the original movie?
I wanted to watch that one tonight on the air, but the kids chose to watch my Star Trek, Nemesis  DVD, instead.
I have very strange children.

:D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #1116 on: December 03, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Old Mickey Mouse cartoons.  8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1117 on: December 03, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »

Why ouch? Even my tin-eared wife understands that this pursuit is a part of me that will never go away. Well, it will stop, but when it does, you can steal my toe tag.

Just trying to imagine the sound pressure from the thing. ;D

Above 12kHz the JBL tens drop like a rock. It's been a while since I powered them, but it was around twelve dB per octave, quite unlike the roll off at the lower end of the spectrum. I set a cap in line to bring the bullets in at around 9kHz and there is no ill effect. Bullets are good above normal human hearing, but with titanium/beryllium diaphragms.  

I figured they would drop quickly around there. It's a shame.

My monitors (the ones I use for movies - they are too "clinical sounding" and a little to inefficient to work with my SET amps) are good to 22kHz, but I have lost some hearing in that octave, since my fall. The sound is perfect for movie soundtracks though.

My hearing seems to be OK up to 16 kHz. I'm fortunate that way.

What kind of monitors do you have?

My Visatons are really only good to around 18KHz, where they have a slight (but, pleasing) peak, then a rapid drop in response. Most of the music I listen to privately (jazz) has little in that range, but a few classical and acoustic recordings benefit from one of the three different Heil tweeters I can throw in there when I want.

Are you telling me that you can hear sounds around 20kHz? :o  What are you, a dog?

:P I know--a Dawg.

I have just not ever fallen in love with the ribbon designs, though. It's their un-natural propagation patterns that are offensive. On axis, they are very nice, but there is more to music reproduction than a sweet spot. Few other dynamic systems can reproduce the ultra-highs like a ribbon, though. I wish I had paper drivers from end to end, but the only paper drivers capable of reproducing tones above 20kHz with authority, I can not afford, realistically. (before you admonish me, I know I have little hearing ability above twenty KHz these days, but I also KNOW that I can still hear a remarkable difference in music when I have a super tweet running, In fact I can easily tell the difference between two of my Heil drivers, when the only real world difference is one of them has response to twenty five KHZ, while the other boasts response to thirty two KHZ. Again, it's in the music that requires more listening and recordings that are done acoustically where you can sense the difference.)
Yes, I have tried to re-do some of my JBL horn drivers (which have incredibly fucking powerful, well machined magnet structures and highly sensitive voice coils) with paper diaphragms.  What ever magic the JBL wixards have created with their aluminum membranes, I can not yet achieve with paper or leather. Another back-burnered project.

I would think that you can't, with paper. Leather, OTOH, I have no idea.

If we watched "Master And Commander," with the center speaker set at eighty seven dB (which is where I prefer action movies)  you would experience low frequency pulses in the ten Hertz range in excess of one hundred twelve dB when they fire the cannons. It moves you.

87 dB average?

Last night I was watching the (jim carey/ron howard) Grinch movie with the kids and I had forgotten how seriously Ron had lain in the LFE at certain times. I didn't get out my meters, but I was listening to Yngwie on the headphones and suddenly my chair quaked. (the tiny car had exploded   :D)

I don't think most people can conceive of what sub-audible tones can do for a movie lovers enjoyment. Only a select few have ever heard/felt what a DVD movie is capable of re-producing. They put the shit in there, but you need "speshul stuff" to experience it all.

The sub-audible tones are all right, a lot of the time, if the mix is good (considering that the actual information takes very little space and thus can be handled well enough in a good processor) but AC-3 sometimes makes a mess of bass around 40-50 Hz, lessening my enjoyment, at least. Compare, say, "Titanic" in Dolby with the same film in DTS. There is a very clear difference.

I am just beginning to look into Blu-ray, but it seems that the sound stream is the basically the same. Only the vid has been upgraded.

My understanding is that the so-called 7.1 thing does not improve on the basic AC-3 algorithm, it only adds two channels. Don't know about DTS but suspect it to be the same, since the movie mixes are still done with the same equipment as before.

In other words, it's a marketing ploy. IMO, there is no need for 7.1.

When Dolby introduced EX (a third, matrix-based surround channel) there was no actual need for it and so the industry ignored it, for the most part.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1118 on: December 04, 2008, 01:53:16 AM »
Home Alone

duncvis

« Reply #1119 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:37 AM »
Xan playing House of the Dead III

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1121 on: December 04, 2008, 10:02:48 AM »
Wapsi Square

:rofl: Multiplicity FTW!
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1122 on: December 04, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
Xan playing House of the Dead III

:LMAO:

that's my kind of kid!  ;)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1123 on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »

Just trying to imagine the sound pressure from the thing. ;D

I figured they would drop quickly around there. It's a shame.

My hearing seems to be OK up to 16 kHz. I'm fortunate that way.

What kind of monitors do you have?

Are you telling me that you can hear sounds around 20kHz? :o  What are you, a dog?

:P I know--a Dawg.

I would think that you can't, with paper. Leather, OTOH, I have no idea.

87 dB average?

The sub-audible tones are all right, a lot of the time, if the mix is good (considering that the actual information takes very little space and thus can be handled well enough in a good processor) but AC-3 sometimes makes a mess of bass around 40-50 Hz, lessening my enjoyment, at least. Compare, say, "Titanic" in Dolby with the same film in DTS. There is a very clear difference.

My understanding is that the so-called 7.1 thing does not improve on the basic AC-3 algorithm, it only adds two channels. Don't know about DTS but suspect it to be the same, since the movie mixes are still done with the same equipment as before.

In other words, it's a marketing ploy. IMO, there is no need for 7.1.

When Dolby introduced EX (a third, matrix-based surround channel) there was no actual need for it and so the industry ignored it, for the most part.

I tried to respnd last tnigght, but my netZero was dodgy, yet again,.

shit it's fucked up and I can'tt deal with it right now.

I tride to respond last night, but I couldnt'

uhm, I tride to respond last night.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:08:59 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1124 on: December 04, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
I'm stilll trying to respond but I can't/

It's fuckked up.

*calm*

I have Yamaha NS-10T in use now - on my home theatre systrem. I also own NS-5 and NS-10M. I bought them because they were so incredibly critical, for close field work (rememebr the six[not two] hundred plus tapes I own of live recordings, spanning about eighteen years, that few others have ever heard, which needed some mastery to bring them to kind light). I also own JBL 4311, 4308 and 4350 monitors, but they live in the garrrage for now.

I sometimes bring in my 4308s to listen to (ultra close field) in my two channnel rigg, but they are eight ionch and smallish for a whole room.

I had my ears tested  six times abbout two years ago. I had lost some hearing and hurt myself. I was in a doctor's care.

I could certainly, consisstently detect tones at the extent of the doctor's test equipment (which was twentykHz) towards the end of the recovery period, but I know that I have lost quite a lot of hearing in the past few years - to age if nothing else.
When he tried for the next level, I failed to consistently determine the tones he was using. The next jump past 20K with his equipment is 25K.

I might have been able to detect slightly higher tones, if he had a more delicate measuring system, but his was tuned to one third octavve centers as per the clinical standard.

I can not actually hear twenty five kHz tones, but what I was saying before, is that the "AIR" produced by a driver capable of such tones is most assuredly noticeable on some recordings. Others, it's not, but when there is analog  program material recorded in that range, a driver capable of reproducing it can make a huge difference in the space you hear in a listening session.

You don't have to believe me. Get some Heil drivers and add them to your system. Some recordings willl take on alife that was never there before. The difference is that these drivers are opening up spaces in the recording with clearly defined proximally pure information, that was being skipped over without them. They solidify directional information that was fuzzy before.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:45:26 PM by DirtDawg »