Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 73184 times)

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #1080 on: November 24, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
Superman 2.

The Theatrical or the Donner version?

I think that it was the theatrical version I saw.  Lester was credited as director rather than Donner.

Ahh. That's the Lester (Donner shot many scenes in it, but was not credited). In my opinion the Donner version is better... and it has Brando in it (Brando's scenes were cut in the Lester version to save money - removing them meant he was only paid for the first movie... the two movies under Donner were being shot back-to-back). Richard Donner had filmed most of the footage for the film when he was sacked for resisting the Producers wanting to change the tone of the movie to being more jokey. The screenwriter, editor and several cast members (including Gene Hackman) walked out on the project when Donner was sacked. Enough scenes were re-filmed and added to be able, under the rules, to credit Lester as Director - a little over half the theatrical was needed for the credit if memory serves.

The Donner version is an attempt to restore as close as possible the original Director's vision for the film from what footage was shot before he was sacked. Its well worth a watch if you are able to get hold of a copy :)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1081 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Half an episode of House.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1082 on: November 25, 2008, 03:23:32 PM »
Sponge Bob
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1083 on: November 25, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »
tropic thunder - it's revolting, but really funny.  :laugh:

duncvis

« Reply #1084 on: November 25, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
Monk

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1085 on: November 25, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
Family Guy

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #1086 on: November 26, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1087 on: November 26, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
I don't know :-\

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1088 on: November 27, 2008, 12:06:48 AM »
I plan to watch the inside of my eyelids for a while, as I relax in the sweet spot of my stereo. After about five months, my "new" open air drivers are really sounding good. They are breaking in nicely.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1089 on: November 27, 2008, 03:44:28 AM »
my partner dreaming.

REM sleep is *scary*!!
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1090 on: November 27, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »
House

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1091 on: November 27, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
I plan to watch the inside of my eyelids for a while, as I relax in the sweet spot of my stereo. After about five months, my "new" open air drivers are really sounding good. They are breaking in nicely.

???
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1092 on: November 27, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

???

As much as I would like to eliminate the constriction of a sweet spot, there is still a place, roughly hourglass-on-its-side shaped, in front of my speakers where Blumlein's "invention" comes to near perfection. Any good recordings, especially those in jazz, done with proper Blumlein pair pick-up placements sound so large, distinctly separated and well defined, it is almost like real instruments in the room (please excuse cliche). These newish higher Q drivers are better at reproducing lower frequencies than the customised JBL fifteen inch drivers I had been using.

They are not as efficient (by six dB  :( ), but they reproduce a flatter response in their range. I use a simple coil (first order low pass, adjusted for roughly one hundred twenty Hertz - yep, it's huge) in series with the pair of drivers, which are in parallel with each other. The resistance of the coil actually raises the total Q of the pair of drivers to a bit over 0.8 (combined), so the lower frequencies are slightly enhanced. This slight rise in response toward the lower frequencies is offset by the open air design of my baffle (which I am still working on perfecting) and the semi-cardioid propagation pattern is channeled into the room by my Super Secret Squirrel solid diffraction column which sits behind the open back baffles on each side. The actual shape of that truncated triangle column, used in this application, is what I am trying to find a way to patent, because it WORKS.

The drop off in low frequency efficiency is offset by a tiny resistance in series with the eight inch full range driver, which sits atop, angled slightly upward to correct for phase alignment. Of course, the R also raises the total Q of that driver, which now falls in at about 0.72 - really close to perfect!

The only issue is that I hate to lose the incredible efficiency I had enjoyed for a couple of years. I can still use my matched pair of SET two watt tube amplifiers, but the difference in visceral impact when I slap my old McIntosh five hundred watt per channel PA amplifier on them is quite arresting. There is a slight loss in tonality with the solid state McIntosh, compared to the modern SET mono-block amplifiers.

...   or were you questioning my break in period. Low frequency drivers usually continue to change for about a year of semi-constant use. They are settling nicely, though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:17:39 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1093 on: November 27, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »
If you cut at 120Hz, I bet they'll change. IMHO, no more than 85Hz, and according to Dolby (and me, I think that's a bit low) no more than 55Hz.

but maybe I'm reading you wrong--your baffle construction would be of interest. I would love to bring a couple of CDs and an LP or two, to see what your setup is about.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #1094 on: November 27, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
Hellboy 2 with the family. Krauss is great.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law