Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 72996 times)

GalileoAce

Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #1005 on: September 19, 2008, 04:32:13 AM »
I don't think DS9's arc was stolen, or inspired by B5's. DS9 already had an arc in Season 1 with Bajor's response to the Federation's presence. And Season 2 opened with a three part episode (unheard of in Trek at the point) of that arc (this arc continued until Season 7), their Dominion arc began half way into Season 2, and was planned (from a writers perspective) in the latter stages of Season 1.

They didn't just have one arc there were multiple arcs some short some long.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #1006 on: September 19, 2008, 04:55:20 AM »
Oh yes! Someone who agrees with me!

Though Voyager was a great concept, the was royally fucked in the execution.

I agree with you regarding 'Voyager' also :green:

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #1007 on: September 19, 2008, 05:05:36 AM »
Yeah love DS9!

An attempt to follow 'Babylon 5's lead. I know DS9 slightly predates Bab5, but in its first season or two it was regular Trek... though more grubby perhaps. When Bab5 got a following... all of a sudden DS9 manufactured a 'story arc' - a pale shadow of Bab5. ;)

Sigh! Couldn't think of anything original to say?

I think it was more of a case of anyone that cared left to do voyager, so the people who were left to do DS9 could do what they wanted, and it seemed they had more talent and ideas that the morons who went and made Voyager.

I mean it isnt like B5 invented the story arc idea in a tv series you know.

The entire 7 seasons should have been like The year of Hell parts 1 & 2, or whatever its called

GalileoAce

« Reply #1008 on: September 19, 2008, 05:06:22 AM »
Yeah love DS9!

An attempt to follow 'Babylon 5's lead. I know DS9 slightly predates Bab5, but in its first season or two it was regular Trek... though more grubby perhaps. When Bab5 got a following... all of a sudden DS9 manufactured a 'story arc' - a pale shadow of Bab5. ;)

I think it was more of a case of anyone that cared left to do voyager, so the people who were left to do DS9 could do what they wanted, and it seemed they had more talent and ideas that the morons who went and made Voyager.

The entire 7 seasons should have been like The year of Hell parts 1 & 2, or whatever its called

Absolutely! It was a friggen cop out that Year Of Hell was 'erased'.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #1009 on: September 19, 2008, 05:07:55 AM »
Yeah love DS9!

Absolutely! It was a friggen cop out that Year Of Hell was 'erased'.

Ah yes, the good old reset button. A trek favourite.

GalileoAce

« Reply #1010 on: September 19, 2008, 05:13:58 AM »
TNG, VOY and bits of ENT was based on TOS, which was based on the 50s style of SciFi TV shows. ie: Twilight Zone. Self contained episodes. TOS went outside the box with a consistent cast that went to the problems...But they didn't really capitalise on what that offered (movies did alot better in that respect) TNG did a little better, but it wasn't until DS9 that we really saw character driven stories. Voyager was more of the same, the setting in a different quadrant just gave the lazy ass writers an excuse to ignore much of the mythos of Star Trek that was built up in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. Enterprise seemed to be a heavy handed attempt of more of the same whilst trying to 're-write' the mythos. Season 4 undid Berman and Braga's mistakes, and in my opinion Season 4 of Enterprise is the best season of Star Trek ever. Period.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #1011 on: September 19, 2008, 05:15:20 AM »
I don't think DS9's arc was stolen, or inspired by B5's.

A few years before 'Deep Space Nine' the producers of 'Babylon 5' pitched the series to Paramount (among others). Paramount wasn't interested in any non-'Star Trek' space series, but Warners eventually picked it up. Then Paramount's DS9 appears, similarly about a commercial/communial space station (run by the military) being a meeting place among races, near a hyperspace gateway. Even a character name is shared - Dukhat in B5 and Gul Dukat in DS9. Interesting eh?

J. Michael Straczynski (Creator and main writer of B5) has stated often that he believed DS9 (especially the second season) drew heavilly on the materials he presented to Paramount in 1989 while pitching Bab 5. Not exactly stealing from Bab 5... but using the confidential materials as a basis for DS9.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #1012 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:13 AM »

They copied that from 'Dallas' :eyebrows:

GalileoAce

« Reply #1013 on: September 19, 2008, 06:46:17 AM »
They copied that from 'Dallas' :eyebrows:

See my post above...

I don't think DS9's arc was stolen, or inspired by B5's.

A few years before 'Deep Space Nine' the producers of 'Babylon 5' pitched the series to Paramount (among others). Paramount wasn't interested in any non-'Star Trek' space series, but Warners eventually picked it up. Then Paramount's DS9 appears, similarly about a commercial/communial space station (run by the military) being a meeting place among races, near a hyperspace gateway. Even a character name is shared - Dukhat in B5 and Gul Dukat in DS9. Interesting eh?

J. Michael Straczynski (Creator and main writer of B5) has stated often that he believed DS9 (especially the second season) drew heavilly on the materials he presented to Paramount in 1989 while pitching Bab 5. Not exactly stealing from Bab 5... but using the confidential materials as a basis for DS9.

I read a third party analysis of the two series'. And whilst JMS did present B5 to Paramount for development, DS9 was already in development at the time, which is why Paramount decided not to go forward with B5, as they felt it would be too conflicting to have two station based sci-fi series.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1014 on: September 19, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
I think its you who is full of shit.

Aww diddums. Have I upset your poor little applecart by not liking 'Torchwood' and seeking to explain why? Having trouble putting you case together in words are you. There there, mop your angry little tears.

No, but I honestly think people these days are too hard on shows. I mean c'mon, how many so called good shows have been cancelled after only 1 season lately?

I mean who is more upset here? I think it's you. You watch Torchwood and complain that its crap and not good enough, but everyone else seems to watch it and enjoy it somewhat. I think you are the one who has a bug up his arse about things.

Good reply. (I'm glad you replied with balance, because I really appreciated your 'Stargate' tidbit in the other thread - and instantly regretted that 'diddums' stuff).

I only mentioned 'Torchwood' because of (was it Lucifer) mentioning it and wondering what people thought. Galileo seems to take these things personally and a lot of others do. Except when responding to things that are getting personal... I do not mean my dislike of 'Torchwood' to be a slight or whatever to anybody.

It is true that I find it difficult to fathom why anybody has so much time for the show that they get gnarled just because somebody feels free to say they dislike it... it really isn't very good... and I say this in the knowledge that I am entertained by many things which also are not very good... as well as things of quality. Heck, I enjoy 'The Phantom Menace' though I'd be the first to admit it is both a miserable effort and was a terrible disappointment.

However, I find 'Torchwood' to be a complete bore generally as well as being rather a poor effort at TV Sci-Fi (or any genre). I actually got quite excited at the prospect of the 'undead' thing being explored and developed... and then... thud... it wasn't. I would love 'Torchwood' to be a great series... but up to now it has been completely woeful.

Its not nostalga. 'Primeval' is just as new as 'Torchwood' and I love 'Primeval' (though many do not).

I don't have bugs anywhere... I use insecticide - lol :lol: I just feel free to express my opinion when asked. If folk get personal, I'll get personal back. If folk question my opinion... I'll seek to give some answer for myself. No bugs... honest :green:

No need to explain your behaviour Nocti. You were very strong, authoritive, manly and laughable. In short you were an Ass.

"If folk get personal, I'll get personal back." Go on you know you want to.  :lol: :asthing:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:45:12 AM by Sir_Les_Patterson »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1015 on: September 19, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
its only a confectionary of entertainment...

that is simply fabulous.   :plus:

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #1016 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
One piece.

Here are the free episodes. The jap version with subtitles.
Jap versions are better than than the stupid english versions.
Death to 4Kids.

http://www.watch-onepiece.com/

Park.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #1017 on: September 19, 2008, 09:50:01 PM »
Oh and i'll share my fave sites to watch stuff on.
Better than TV i'll tell ya that.
This is from my "Media" folder in my fire fox tool bar
Really good stuff.

Not exactly entertainment not at all.
Conspiracy theories proven to be true.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/nufffrespect?ob=4

Ninja Video:
http://www.ninjavideo.net/

Unforgotten Realms webisodes
Really funny spoof on Dungeons and Dragons.
http://www.urealms.com/

One piece, Bleach and DBZ.
http://www.watch-onepiece.com/

Almost every simpsons episode and seasons.
http://watchthesimpsonsonline.com/movie/232-The_Simpsons_218_Brush_with_Greatness.html

South Park Episodes
http://www.allabout-sp.net/?p=season12/1204

Weebles stuff of course
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/?order=1&offset=15

Park.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1018 on: September 20, 2008, 02:55:15 AM »
well, just so everyone can sleep tonight...  ;)

i watched the second episode of torchwood.  it's mainly pants, so that settles that.   :green:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1019 on: September 20, 2008, 03:17:30 AM »
well, just so everyone can sleep tonight...  ;)

i watched the second episode of torchwood.  it's mainly pants, so that settles that.   :green:

I like pants!  :lol:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap