Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 72997 times)

GalileoAce

Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #975 on: September 18, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
Speaking of House I just wacthed the first ep of Season 5. It was good.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #976 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »

Yeah, what did you watch it with? Cos it showed up in your 'now playing' thingie in WLM. I only know that VLC does that. But it suck if you forget and then play some pr0n.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #977 on: September 18, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
I think its you who is full of shit.

Aww diddums. Have I upset your poor little applecart by not liking 'Torchwood' and seeking to explain why? Having trouble putting you case together in words are you. There there, mop your angry little tears.

No, but I honestly think people these days are too hard on shows. I mean c'mon, how many so called good shows have been cancelled after only 1 season lately?

I mean who is more upset here? I think it's you. You watch Torchwood and complain that its crap and not good enough, but everyone else seems to watch it and enjoy it somewhat. I think you are the one who has a bug up his arse about things.

Good reply. (I'm glad you replied with balance, because I really appreciated your 'Stargate' tidbit in the other thread - and instantly regretted that 'diddums' stuff).

I only mentioned 'Torchwood' because of (was it Lucifer) mentioning it and wondering what people thought. Galileo seems to take these things personally and a lot of others do. Except when responding to things that are getting personal... I do not mean my dislike of 'Torchwood' to be a slight or whatever to anybody.

It is true that I find it difficult to fathom why anybody has so much time for the show that they get gnarled just because somebody feels free to say they dislike it... it really isn't very good... and I say this in the knowledge that I am entertained by many things which also are not very good... as well as things of quality. Heck, I enjoy 'The Phantom Menace' though I'd be the first to admit it is both a miserable effort and was a terrible disappointment.

However, I find 'Torchwood' to be a complete bore generally as well as being rather a poor effort at TV Sci-Fi (or any genre). I actually got quite excited at the prospect of the 'undead' thing being explored and developed... and then... thud... it wasn't. I would love 'Torchwood' to be a great series... but up to now it has been completely woeful.

Its not nostalga. 'Primeval' is just as new as 'Torchwood' and I love 'Primeval' (though many do not).

I don't have bugs anywhere... I use insecticide - lol :lol: I just feel free to express my opinion when asked. If folk get personal, I'll get personal back. If folk question my opinion... I'll seek to give some answer for myself. No bugs... honest :green:

Well that's the thing, I think there is a lot more out there that could be considered a failure or bore or just not good. Take Threshold for example. completely terrible. I know there has been others, but I generally try as best I can to forget them.

Is it just that more scifi is character driven these days and there tends to be less pure science fiction/fantasy stories?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #978 on: September 19, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »
oops.  i seem to have started something else, inadvertantly.   :-[

er, i'll just go back to "I, Clavdivs", if it's all the same to you boys...

:laugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #979 on: September 19, 2008, 01:18:32 AM »
'

Oh, cool. Finally something to watch. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #980 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:16 AM »

You mean you don't like to create internet drama or nerd fights?

GalileoAce

« Reply #981 on: September 19, 2008, 01:22:01 AM »

Yeah, what did you watch it with? Cos it showed up in your 'now playing' thingie in WLM. I only know that VLC does that. But it suck if you forget and then play some pr0n.

Media Player Classic

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #982 on: September 19, 2008, 01:24:12 AM »

Media Player Classic

Ah! okay, didnt know that. <goes to look through MPCs settings>

GalileoAce

« Reply #983 on: September 19, 2008, 01:26:32 AM »
It's under Tweaks

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #984 on: September 19, 2008, 01:26:56 AM »

You mean you don't like to create internet drama or nerd fights?

well, i wouldn't go that far...

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #985 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:27 AM »

No worries whatsoever - you did nothing wrong :green:

Excellent choice :asthing:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #986 on: September 19, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »
Is it just that more scifi is character driven these days and there tends to be less pure science fiction/fantasy stories?

Hey... character-driven stuff is good :green:

My favourite genres are Science Fiction, Horror, and Historical Drama (not meaning Period Drama/Costume Drama, but things like 'Anne of a Thousand Days', 'Cromwell' and 'Ghandi'). I'm more film orientated than TV admittedly. I am looking forward to a box set of David Starky history TV documentaries though - hoping they arrive today.

'Torchwood' tends to be agenda/sex-driven... RTD's agendas which are often sexual in nature and do not usually drive the plot forward (I'd be fine with it if it was involved to drive the story forward, but it repeatedly stalls the plot)... which is one sign of bad screen-writing. Its the same disease that robs New 'Doctor Who'... a lot of fans (not all by any means though) are glad to see the back of RTD.

You can almost see items checked off on each episode...

Inappropriate sexual reference/Gay Agenda regardless of the story's theme - check.
Deus Ex Machina get out (another indication of bad writing) - check.
Gwen's dialogue is juvenile with no sign of any police expertise (her supposed background = a sign of poorly done research) - check.
Over reliance on coincidence (yet another one of the best indicators of poor writing) - check.
The supposedly crack Torchwood team behave like rank amateurs throughout episode (Mystery Incorporated seem more professional) - check.
Unoriginal alien/plot/something... etc... - check.
...and umpteen other things I've failed to think of at present - and this is just the writing!!!

There is no excuse for the level of appauling writing (which would make even George Lucas blush) exhibited in the 'Torchwood' series... even in the better episodes.

Really... I'd love to be able to say it isn't so and that it is a good series... however, I'm not going to lie. Subjectively I find it a very dull series... and as far as what I know of writing... it is just really badly written - there is no getting away from that.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #987 on: September 19, 2008, 03:21:11 AM »

i know - i was just amused at the heated discussion.  ;)

Excellent choice :asthing:

gods, it's fucking brilliant.  i have to limit myself to one episode a night, and then play starfucker all the way through and spot the actor.  :laugh:

well, all right, maybe two episodes...

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #988 on: September 19, 2008, 03:28:51 AM »

i know - i was just amused at the heated discussion.  ;)

Some, it seems, (Especially Trekkers) feel that if you are negative about one of their favourite TV shows (or even an episode) then you are casting a personal insult at them ::) Crumbs, its only a confectionary of entertainment... its not life and death - lol :lol:

I once got in a lot of trouble when I shared with a Trekker, perfectly politely, what I thought the failings were with 'Star Trek: Generations'... from his reaction you'd have thought I'd insulted his mother, his father... indeed his entire family in the most offensive terms possible! Well he did ask me if I'd enjoyed it... he should not have asked had he not wanted a reply :green:

GalileoAce

« Reply #989 on: September 19, 2008, 03:30:02 AM »
I'm more balanced in my opinions of Trek, being a Trekkie.

Throw a negative at me :P