Educational

Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 73119 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #960 on: September 18, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
'Total Drama Island'
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #961 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »
its pretty good, particularly considering its a Doctor Who spinoff.

'Torchwood' is supposed to be the 'mature' version of the Whoniverse. However, there is ten times more maturity to be found in a middle ranking Carry On movie... and one hundred times more fun.

Why have I watched every episode?... morbid curiosity as to how low the quality of the show can plummet.

Hey, funny thing, mature people actually do talk about sex and snigger a lot at things.

GalileoAce

« Reply #962 on: September 18, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »
'Torchwood' is supposed to be the 'mature' version of the Whoniverse. However, there is ten times more maturity to be found in a middle ranking Carry On movie... and one hundred times more fun.
Why have I watched every episode?... morbid curiosity as to how low the quality of the show can plummet.
Hey, funny thing, mature people actually do talk about sex and snigger a lot at things.

Yep...

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #963 on: September 18, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
It's all subjective in the long run.

Ish. There can be informed opinion rather than it being merely subjective alone. The writing and plotting for 'Torchwood' is generally of poor quality and the plots go after cheap titilation rather than substance. Its a lazy show in its writing, its acting, directing and its visual effects.

Towards the middle/end of the last season it did start showing some dramatic promise with two characters (the two most interesting and well-played characters)... and then the audience was short changed by simply killing them off without further development of what could have been a very interesting idea... if developed. In the end... Lazy, derivitave, lowest common denomination pandering, navel gazing end of the TV spectrum.

Subjective maybe... but, Science Fiction being my favourite genre, it is not natural for me to be against a science fiction show without feeling I have good reason. BBC drama tends to be of a lower quality these days because of the people they employ and the difference that, unlike commercial stations, they have to follow what they use the license money to develop... rather than the commercial stations who purchase finished product. There is less incentive on a quality product, but rather on selling an idea... oh so often woefully under-developed dramatically in the end result.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #964 on: September 18, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »

You sir have mental issues.

Is that the best you can come up with by way of response? ::)

GalileoAce

« Reply #965 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »
It's all subjective in the long run.

Ish. There can be informed opinion rather than it being merely subjective alone. The writing and plotting for 'Torchwood' is generally of poor quality and the plots go after cheap titilation rather than substance. Its a lazy show in its writing, its acting, directing and its visual effects.

That is a fucking load of crap Nocti. Did you not see the last 6 episodes of Season 2? They were some of the best writing and acting I've witnessed in any TV ever. The episode about Burn Gorman's character dealing with being dead was absolutely top notch acting.

You sir have mental issues.

Is that the best you can come up with by way of response? ::)

Must be the lazy writers...

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #966 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

I'm aware of that ::) However, it would be nice if 'Torchwood' added quality and mature handling (development) of the themes they deal with... rather than how childishly these things are dealt with on the show. I'm not against talking about (or sniggering) at sex... I've already suggested that I enjoy many of the Carry On movies. However, there is more to maturity than the slop 'Torchwood' dishes up... which I maintain is not 'mature' at all, but rather impoverished in quality and fumblingly childish in nature.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #967 on: September 18, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »
The episode about Burn Gorman's character dealing with being dead was absolutely top notch acting.

Well, not exactly 'top notch'... but much better than average for the series. It was the only time that 'Torchwood' seemed to pick up in terms of quality... and then right at the end they short changed the entire idea and didn't develop it particularly fully.

That is a fucking load of crap Nocti. Did you not see the last 6 episodes of Season 2? They were some of the best writing and acting I've witnessed in any TV ever.

Then you haven't experienced much in the way of quality TV.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:45:28 PM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #968 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
I think its you who is full of shit.

I mean I', sick of the latest trend to bag just about anything out that is SciFi lately. Most of these shows are fairly good and quite watchable. If you look back at some of the show that are considered 'classic', they really don't hold up to well.

It seems a lot of people are comparing todays shows against their childhood nostalgia as well as forgetting that its scifi in the first place. Hell, there has been a hell of a lot of scifi these days that is a lot worse than torchwood.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #969 on: September 18, 2008, 09:46:15 PM »
My life steadily marching past me.

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #970 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »

Aww diddums. Have I upset your poor little applecart by not liking 'Torchwood' and seeking to explain why? Having trouble putting you case together in words are you. There there, mop your angry little tears.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #971 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »
Season 8 of Red Drawf
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #972 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »

Aww diddums. Have I upset your poor little applecart by not liking 'Torchwood' and seeking to explain why? Having trouble putting you case together in words are you. There there, mop your angry little tears.

No, but I honestly think people these days are too hard on shows. I mean c'mon, how many so called good shows have been cancelled after only 1 season lately?

I mean who is more upset here? I think it's you. You watch Torchwood and complain that its crap and not good enough, but everyone else seems to watch it and enjoy it somewhat. I think you are the one who has a bug up his arse about things.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #973 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

No, but I honestly think people these days are too hard on shows. I mean c'mon, how many so called good shows have been cancelled after only 1 season lately?

I mean who is more upset here? I think it's you. You watch Torchwood and complain that its crap and not good enough, but everyone else seems to watch it and enjoy it somewhat. I think you are the one who has a bug up his arse about things.

Good reply. (I'm glad you replied with balance, because I really appreciated your 'Stargate' tidbit in the other thread - and instantly regretted that 'diddums' stuff).

I only mentioned 'Torchwood' because of (was it Lucifer) mentioning it and wondering what people thought. Galileo seems to take these things personally and a lot of others do. Except when responding to things that are getting personal... I do not mean my dislike of 'Torchwood' to be a slight or whatever to anybody.

It is true that I find it difficult to fathom why anybody has so much time for the show that they get gnarled just because somebody feels free to say they dislike it... it really isn't very good... and I say this in the knowledge that I am entertained by many things which also are not very good... as well as things of quality. Heck, I enjoy 'The Phantom Menace' though I'd be the first to admit it is both a miserable effort and was a terrible disappointment.

However, I find 'Torchwood' to be a complete bore generally as well as being rather a poor effort at TV Sci-Fi (or any genre). I actually got quite excited at the prospect of the 'undead' thing being explored and developed... and then... thud... it wasn't. I would love 'Torchwood' to be a great series... but up to now it has been completely woeful.

Its not nostalga. 'Primeval' is just as new as 'Torchwood' and I love 'Primeval' (though many do not).

I don't have bugs anywhere... I use insecticide - lol :lol: I just feel free to express my opinion when asked. If folk get personal, I'll get personal back. If folk question my opinion... I'll seek to give some answer for myself. No bugs... honest :green:

GalileoAce

« Reply #974 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
What do you think of Eureka? Firefly? Farscape? Stargate (both)? House? Mythbusters? CSI? Battlestar Galactica?