Educational

Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 73369 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #4110 on: October 19, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
New TV shows:

Young Sheldon might be a regular watcher.
The Good Doctor (about a new surgical resident with Autism).  Credible acting on Freddy Highsmore's part.  And Richard Schiff is always intensely gruff.
Are you still watching The Good Doctor, QV? I have watched every episode so far.

Just watched two episodes of the new Voltron series. It was an obsession of mine as a kid. And pretty good now. :)

Yes.  I wish they'd focus more on him and less on the surrounding drama.  But then it might not be as good.  Like Richard Schiff a lot.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4111 on: October 19, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
Mythbusters :zoinks:

Love that stupid show!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4112 on: October 19, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »
local news

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4113 on: October 20, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »

Love that stupid show!

Watched three of them last night. They're still hilarious.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4114 on: October 20, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
I loved that BBC ? show where they put two teams in a junkyard and they had to construct a project from the items there.

That show gave me one of my favorite words, "bodge"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4115 on: October 20, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
I took the monkeys to see them live a few years ago and they were awesome. So worth it.

Not currently watching, but will be tonight at 8pm/EST....Long Time Running. The documentary of The Tragically Hip's final tour. Gord Downie just passed and it's like Canada as a whole is heartbroken. I was a huge fan, they were the soundtrack to my life. Was at the final tour, saw the documentary in theatres already but still looking forward to seeing it again tonight.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4116 on: October 20, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
I loved that BBC ? show where they put two teams in a junkyard and they had to construct a project from the items there.

I had always thought that bodge was an Australian word. To "bodge something together" is how it's used.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4117 on: October 21, 2017, 01:33:20 AM »

That was a cool show.

Mythbusters was cool too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4118 on: October 21, 2017, 01:57:54 AM »
Another couple of Mythbusters episodes. Blame Netflix.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4119 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
I caught a documentary about George Pal and his puppetoons.  Now I'm watching a second documentary which shows entire puppetoons.

It's weird that I remembered Tubby the Tuba from my childhood.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #4120 on: October 24, 2017, 12:45:26 AM »
Here 'bodge' can be used as a variant of 'botch', I.e 'to bugger something up'

And the idea of putting a couple of teams in a waste tip and having them construct a neat project out of whatever they can hack together...I like that!

I'd sign up. You'd be surprised just how much one can scrounge, especially if you go with a big backpack for finds, a set of screwdrivers, pair of pliers and some bolt cutters (for shearing metal plating off things)

Plenty fridges, electron gun/vacuum tubes from CRTs, the tubes, if you can open them without the things imploding make for a not half bad filtration flask on a large scale. And the electron gun is the beginnings of a particle accelerator in its own right. Just the sort of thing one could take and with enough (non-scrounged in several cases) bits and pieces make an electron LINAC out of, or a betatron perhaps, one could even hack together some parts from fridges/freezers for the initial starter 'roughing' pumps, if chained in series, although a much more powerful pump would be needed to exhaust the pressure chamber (low pressure that is, particle accelerators operate in extremely hard vacuum conditions, one needs an initial strong pump or lesser powered pumps chained up in series to start up a turbomolecular pump at least.

And you aren't finding a turbopump with mag-lev frictionless bearings at a dump. Always wanted to have a crack at making a cyclotron myself though (not from bits and pieces scrounged from a dump, well, excluding things like roughing pumps, copper wire for the RF emitters and magnetic pole pieces of course, the cheaper the better if it can be made to work properly that is) Although an electron accelerator would be easier, I'd far prefer a proton accelerator, for various reasons. Such as for example, whilst deuterium (hydrogen containing a neutron, in addition to the proton and electron of your run of the mill 'protium' hydrogen isotope, is unlike tritium, (hydrogen with 2 neutrons per atom) is nonradioactive, yet according to some of my reading, bombarding certain elements, or possibly just certain isotopes of certain elements, not sure on that one, with deuterons (ionized deuterium nuclei) can render them radioactive. I'd very much like to figure out not just what, but why. And I'd rather do it mysef than be told the answer (assuming its known, I deliberately have never looked that up, so as to leave open the possibiity of experiment and discovery. There is much less satisfaction in simply reading an answer to a problem known of, compared to doing the experimental and working it out. Might just be me, but thats the way my mind works, in respect to most things.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4121 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
Yep.  The contestants would sometimes say they "bodged it together."

The name of the show just came to me.  Junkyard Wars.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4122 on: October 24, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
Star Trek-TOS.

Voyager will be on after too.

As for something like junkyard wars, I think I'd excell at that. I've often been scrounging on them for useful stuff and found plenty. Vacuum pumps, compressors, piping, metal sheet for fabricating various items, electronics of plenty varieties that people threw out thinking them broken when they weren't. Even things like batteries with..less than common, non-standard type of electrolytes, like thionyl chloride cells (SOCl2, a very useful, and favourite resort for a chlorinating reagent that I tend to favour in my personal 'style' of and approach to chemistry if that makes sense.)

And I LOVE hacking stuff together like that. From simple workaday hacks...to some of the amazing projects I've seen others come up with, like analytical instrumentation for chemistry. Once I can translate it from the original russian language, I'd love to build this fourier-transform infra-red spectrophotometer I've seen somebody build. Even written the driver software for it and kept it open-source. Captures the data via a computer sound card, its fucking ILL shit. And I really want to build one, as a fourier-transform IR spec is one of the two types of potentially attainable FT-based spectrometers and spectrophotometers, the other being an ion cyclotron-resonance fourier-transform mass spectrometer. And I would just LOVE to build an ICR-FT-MS. Thats the kind of thing, just like the DIY FT-IR spectrophotometer that us hobby chemists drool over like zombies slavering over a fresh bowl of brains in a still-living sawn-open and still screaming bowl :autism:

Spazz-tech, so to speak. And Spazz-Tech at its most fucking awesome. FT-IR spectrophotometers typically cost in the region of about $10,000 USD new.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:38:23 AM by Lestat »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #4123 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
I'm all for anyone dressing up and looking glamorous (if they can pull if off), but Nicki just looks STUPID looking like this in Westminster.

:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4124 on: October 24, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
Star trek-voyager.

Reading an ebook I downloaded from library genesis on non-aqueous electrochemistry and electro-refining of alkali metals in solvent solutions of their salts, such as lithium perchlorate in propylene carbonate, LiCl and NaCl in propylene carbonate. Some stuff on acetonitrile (methyl cyanide) that I'm looking forward to reading as a solvent, as well as pyridine complexes, as well as DMF, formamide, and acetamide. And if acetonitrile is reduced to acetamide then ethylamine perhaps that could be used as a rather convenient conductive electrolyte solvent 'chain', although thats just my wondering ahead. Assuming no scission and HCN production is known to happen. Or, more accurately, given its hydrogen fucking cyanide thats being considered, I'd more consider it once it is known NOT to happen rather than not known TO happen. If that makes sense. It certainly does to me :P