Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 73652 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #2010 on: June 02, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
Is it worth the extra money?

Oh yeah for sure! It's beautiful what they've done with it. They've cleaned the prints up real nice and the remastered effects are done tastefully.

I think most of the episodes were shot on standard 16mm, meaning that the negatives are probably pretty crappy by now.
I read it was mostly just upscaled to 1080p like just about everything that wasn't shot with HD cameras (most movies are analog).   I won't be purchasing Blu-Rays of any movies that were not shot with a 1080p camera.   Makes as much sense as watching a movie in a 3d theater with 3d glasses when that movie was not originally filmed in 3d.    Hollywood is full of a bunch of money grubbing assholes.

Actually the resolution of 16mm film is more than good enough for high definition. The problem, as I indicated, is that the negatives are likely to be in poor shape, meaning that they may be very difficult to restore.

"Analog" film, as you say, is still superior to any digital format, including the so-called 4k technologies. The 35mm film stock used for most feature films has a vastly superior dynamic range, in addition to superior resolution. The problem with modern feature films in cinemas today are that a) the show prints are mass-produced and several generations down the line, and b) projection technology in most cinemas today is sub-par at best.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2011 on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

Oh yeah for sure! It's beautiful what they've done with it. They've cleaned the prints up real nice and the remastered effects are done tastefully.

I think most of the episodes were shot on standard 16mm, meaning that the negatives are probably pretty crappy by now.

Well try and find a 1080p torrent of one of the episode and see for yourself. Personally I think they look pretty damn good.

Just to note, they have the remastered video with new cgi effects & 7.1 dts-HD Master audio, and remastered video with original effects and original audio. So no one is missing out on either one there. You can flip between each one with the angle button while you are watching them.

That's certainly interesting enough for me to have a look.  :thumbup:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2012 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »

Well try and find a 1080p torrent of one of the episode and see for yourself. Personally I think they look pretty damn good.

Just to note, they have the remastered video with new cgi effects & 7.1 dts-HD Master audio, and remastered video with original effects and original audio. So no one is missing out on either one there. You can flip between each one with the angle button while you are watching them.

That's certainly interesting enough for me to have a look.  :thumbup:

This is a fair assessment of the product:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Season-1-Blu-ray/4189/

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #2013 on: June 02, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »

I read it was mostly just upscaled to 1080p like just about everything that wasn't shot with HD cameras (most movies are analog).   I won't be purchasing Blu-Rays of any movies that were not shot with a 1080p camera.   Makes as much sense as watching a movie in a 3d theater with 3d glasses when that movie was not originally filmed in 3d.    Hollywood is full of a bunch of money grubbing assholes.

Actually the resolution of 16mm film is more than good enough for high definition. The problem, as I indicated, is that the negatives are likely to be in poor shape, meaning that they may be very difficult to restore.

"Analog" film, as you say, is still superior to any digital format, including the so-called 4k technologies. The 35mm film stock used for most feature films has a vastly superior dynamic range, in addition to superior resolution. The problem with modern feature films in cinemas today are that a) the show prints are mass-produced and several generations down the line, and b) projection technology in most cinemas today is sub-par at best.
It doesn't really have a resolution until it is converted to digital in the first place   Most of the Blu-Rays that have come out of older films have not looked much better than their DVD counterparts upscaled to 1080p, which is very sad.    The show was shot in 4:3 aspect ratio as well, so you get those fun black bars on the sides.

I don't like Star Trek (the first TV series) to begin with, so yeah.  I am sure the cheaply made sets, bad acting, and ridiculous plots will work great in HD.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2014 on: June 03, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
Of course it's got a resolution before it's scanned. Film stock behaves differently from pixels but there is a practical limit to the available resolution set by the size of the grain. Standard 16mm also uses a ridiculously small frame and therefore has lower resolution, as it simply has fewer available grains, but the image steadiness is probably as big a factor in the relative lack of quality.

One should also keep in mind that TV cinematographers would light their scenes very quickly, often using too much light because the TV sets at the time didn't handle darker tones very well, and because quite a few sets were still black and white.

Not to mention the fact that the scanners were sometimes of fairly poor quality.

And yes, most TV shows were indeed shot in, or at least composed for, 4:3 until the late 80s or early 90s, even when using 35mm cameras (in which case they would commonly use something called "full frame" and compose the image for both the 1.33 TV format and the 1.85 aspect ratio in theatres). Spielberg's "Duel" is an example--TV movies of the week were often shot with 1.85 in mind in the hope that they could be released in cinemas overseas.

And yes--old films often look crappy in Blu-Ray. One reason is that sometimes the negatives are in bad shape (or were crappy to begin with, which is often the case with really old films where the film stock was often of very poor quality), another that a crappy TV scanned print (or even some old tape) was used, a third that some old DVD or tape scan has simply been upscaled to 1080p. They wouldn't have to be, most of the time, but that would require a proper rescan of the original master negative.

Edit: Aren't we all glad that we started this discussion? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2015 on: June 03, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
Of course it's got a resolution before it's scanned. Film stock behaves differently from pixels but there is a practical limit to the available resolution set by the size of the grain. Standard 16mm also uses a ridiculously small frame and therefore has lower resolution, as it simply has fewer available grains, but the image steadiness is probably as big a factor in the relative lack of quality.

One should also keep in mind that TV cinematographers would light their scenes very quickly, often using too much light because the TV sets at the time didn't handle darker tones very well, and because quite a few sets were still black and white.

Not to mention the fact that the scanners were sometimes of fairly poor quality.

And yes, most TV shows were indeed shot in, or at least composed for, 4:3 until the late 80s or early 90s, even when using 35mm cameras (in which case they would commonly use something called "full frame" and compose the image for both the 1.33 TV format and the 1.85 aspect ratio in theatres). Spielberg's "Duel" is an example--TV movies of the week were often shot with 1.85 in mind in the hope that they could be released in cinemas overseas.

And yes--old films often look crappy in Blu-Ray. One reason is that sometimes the negatives are in bad shape (or were crappy to begin with, which is often the case with really old films where the film stock was often of very poor quality), another that a crappy TV scanned print (or even some old tape) was used, a third that some old DVD or tape scan has simply been upscaled to 1080p. They wouldn't have to be, most of the time, but that would require a proper rescan of the original master negative.

Edit: Aren't we all glad that we started this discussion? :zoinks:

Yeah, somebody please frickin' watch something!  :duh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2016 on: June 04, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
I'm watching my computer screen right now.  :headbang2:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2017 on: June 04, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
just watched the last episode of Bones :(

gonna watch hollyoaks now lol

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2018 on: June 04, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
I just watched two Bones episodes. I would have watched a third but the USB stick seems to be faulty. :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2019 on: June 05, 2010, 04:35:31 AM »
ER

Just finished watching the episode where Mark Greene dies.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2020 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:50 AM »
Wow, that was a while ago. ER used to be a good show but they kept doing it for too long.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2021 on: June 05, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
Wow, that was a while ago. ER used to be a good show but they kept doing it for too long.

Yeah, they probably should have ended it there, just after he dies.

Me and the wife are watching it all from start to finish. I have all 15 seasons downloaded.

If anyone is interested, season 8 is when they started having the Cure Autism Now posters about the ER.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2022 on: June 05, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

my anticipatory stress level elevate, logarithmically, as the time comes near

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2023 on: June 05, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
Just finished The Other boleyn Girl.  Checked it out from the library when it first came out on DVD in 2009.  Put it somewhere and found it this week.  I figured since the fine was maxed out whether I returned it then or whenever, I'd watch it. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2024 on: June 06, 2010, 05:19:19 AM »
I might get a pay-per-view movie today. :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."