Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »
I think once someone's hooked, they're far more likely to try and make it work.

It's why there is such a thing as falling in love--those first few weeks when you might do things you normally wouldn't. :M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »
I get the idea that I should behave like a good girl until a guy gets attached to me, and then...WHAM! He then realises what a disaster he's got himself into, and there's no escape.

Not intentional was it?

;)
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2016, 06:51:43 AM »

I wish everybody could be upfront about their flaws, but that's not how attraction works.
Maybe am misunderstanding. Hooked on what exactly? Would agree other people's meltdowns can be an heavy emotional burden to deal with, so can understand hesitation with that in particular. Husband finds many of my quirks and flaws endearing. Lack of time concept, ultra sensitive gag reflex, hypersensitivity to smell and touch, anxiety, paranoia, he finds it all adorable and to be an endless well of joke fodder to last until the end of our days. Some years into marriage, ran across a small piece of paper with his handwriting. It read: I can solve any algebra problem you could ever give me, and diagram any sentence you could ever speak, but just don't ask me for the time. He told me I said that to him on our first date and he found it so grand that he wrote it down when he got home that night. The reason I said it was because he was asking about my age; we discovered it was my eighteenth birthday and I didn't even realize it. He probably still has that scrap of paper somewhere.

I mean, right at the beginning when you're getting to know someone, you have feelings or the spark at the beginning...and it's as if both people have a choice as to whether to get involved with each other or not. e.g. A guy dates a girl, realises she's too clingy for his liking, though he still wants her, but has too much work (job) to do. Then although he likes her a lot, he doesn't want to get involved and really doesn't want to hurt her feelings. He has a choice to back out sort of cleanly, without too much emotional mess early on. If he dated her for a while, slept with her and made plans, it would be far more difficult to end it.

Yeh, I'd totally find those things endearing too. The lack of touch would hurt me though. I crave difference in other people. I also crave what others may find to be undesirable or unattractive. I like a person with some problems, that plus intelligence often makes them deep. An important one to add is someone who accepts different people themselves, I've known very dull people with AS who are unaccepting of differences and would rather do anything just to fit in. Heh, the last one I saw pretended he understood people just to agree with me, and joked and sidetracked the topic when questioned about it. He was my best friend at college and stopped talking to me when he got a girlfriend and was ashamed of his aspie side, and put down this other aspie girl in front of his friend. He never introduced me to any of his friends. I saw him again fairly recently and he wanted to go out with me. After seeing how dull he was, despite him about to get a decent salary (£33k) I told him I hated his (strong Essex) accent and that he irritated me. He was hurt, but I didn't really care because he was too shallow. And God, we were in a restaurant and he didn't want to tip the waitress in case it was "one of those companies that didn't tip the staff". It annoyed me cos he was being a total tightwad, it was only under a fiver and that money was nothing to him. He even went so far as to look up the restaurant and their policy on his mobile.

..Anyway. No doubt I'd love to date someone without problems too, if they have that depth. I sometimes wonder if all those who have depth have encountered problems that they just don't talk about. For instance, although totally not my type, my sister's boyfriend has an amazing understanding of people, and he understands what I tell him about my sister, and he knows he can talk to me openly about her and her temper, even though the family and everyone else is in denial. He's reasonably successful and has a decent salary, he's a manager of some team at an insurance company. Anyway, point is, apart from his epilepsy, he has depth and understanding without appearing to have problems.

It's as if some people are naturally older in the mind than others.

As for my meltdowns, my family to a point purposely wind me up. It's never been in me to be subtly aggressive to people like that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:57:48 AM by justcurious »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:28 AM »

I wish everybody could be upfront about their flaws, but that's not how attraction works.
Maybe am misunderstanding. Hooked on what exactly? Would agree other people's meltdowns can be an heavy emotional burden to deal with, so can understand hesitation with that in particular. Husband finds many of my quirks and flaws endearing. Lack of time concept, ultra sensitive gag reflex, hypersensitivity to smell and touch, anxiety, paranoia, he finds it all adorable and to be an endless well of joke fodder to last until the end of our days. Some years into marriage, ran across a small piece of paper with his handwriting. It read: I can solve any algebra problem you could ever give me, and diagram any sentence you could ever speak, but just don't ask me for the time. He told me I said that to him on our first date and he found it so grand that he wrote it down when he got home that night. The reason I said it was because he was asking about my age; we discovered it was my eighteenth birthday and I didn't even realize it. He probably still has that scrap of paper somewhere.

And..that's a really cute story. :)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2016, 07:21:45 AM »

I'm guessing you don't mind the joking then.  If you did, would you two have succeeded?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

I'm guessing you don't mind the joking then.  If you did, would you two have succeeded?  :orly:
Think people need to be able to laugh at themselves. Sometimes that's not easy, but he has a way of making me lighten up sometimes, and it's probably better that he finds my weird funny instead of annoying.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »
The lack of touch would hurt me though.
It's not like that; am affectionate enough. Am just jumpy; he's a sneaker, a tickler, a poker, all of which sets of some sort of fight/flight instinct which he finds hilarious. Many years ago, read an Ellery Queen short story about an elderly woman who confessed on her deathbead to killing her husband a few years prior. She said she did it because he ate the preserves out of order, opening new jars before the old ones were used, and because he tickled her. For fifty years he tickled her and one day she snapped, killed him, made him into soup, canned him, and donated him to the local soup kitchen. Often threaten to make soup of him.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »
The lack of touch would hurt me though.
It's not like that; am affectionate enough. Am just jumpy; he's a sneaker, a tickler, a poker, all of which sets of some sort of fight/flight instinct which he finds hilarious. Many years ago, read an Ellery Queen short story about an elderly woman who confessed on her deathbead to killing her husband a few years prior. She said she did it because he ate the preserves out of order, opening new jars before the old ones were used, and because he tickled her. For fifty years he tickled her and one day she snapped, killed him, made him into soup, canned him, and donated him to the local soup kitchen. Often threaten to make soup of him.

:laugh:

No, I get the jumpy thing. Seems a bit mean of him to make you jump like that, it's like a shock. I'm like it with sudden sounds too. Like if I'm in the cinema, or watching TV, and the music makes a sudden noise intending to scare the audience, I'm the only person who jumps in the room.

Also, I don't like light touch, it has to be firm. Light touch is tickly and uncomfortable. I have to lift a partner's hand away from me if they start to stroke my face and/or hair, for example.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
Seems a bit mean of him
No. Mean is in mean intent, and there's none.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »
He just stuck a piece of tape on my arm.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
Seems a bit mean of him
No. Mean is in mean intent, and there's none.

:) That type of thinking is cute.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »

Why not stick some tape on him?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »
The gopher will probably walk around behind him poking him in the butt crack later. :M

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »

You two sound adorable.  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2016, 05:45:35 AM »
  Just learned that adding a little water to my orange juice prevents the heartburn.  :thumbup:

People forget.