Educational

Author Topic: any crud munchin lacto-rosco-pico-ovo-vulcan's in the house?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: any crud munchin lacto-rosco-pico-ovo-vulcan's in the house?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
Many years ago, worked with a woman who was complaining about her husband wanting to force their daughter to eat broccoli. He had read somewhere that if a child if forced to eat something every day for a week, then after that they wont mind it and will eat it without complaint, and he wanted her to serve broccoli with dinner for a week. Asked her if there's anything he doesn't like. She said no, he'll eat anything. Then she said, oh, he hates liver. Told her to tell him she would be serving liver and broccoli for a week. It was the end of that crap at her house too. :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Yes, parents quite frequently force their diets on their kids, never realising that while an adult might want to cut down on something or the other, a child very frequently shouldn't.
When it comes to actual force, it's probably more common to find old school clean plate clubbers who make them eat things they find repulsive or continue eating when they say they're full. Can't view a relaxed family gathering over healthy food to be forcing anything, regardless of what's served.

My parents were of that school.  I choked down oatmeal on cold mornings, I forced myself to finish dinner
   portions that were more than I needed or wanted.  My parents made it an issue of obedience and respect.  ::)

Husband tried to impose that crap once when the kids were small. Told him no one ever did that to me, and I'd be resentful if someone forced me to eat something I find disgusting. He said his parents did it to him. Asked how he feels when thinking back on it as an adult. He said, kind of bitter. That was the end of that. :laugh:

Good for you.  Funny how "normal" that kind of power play seemed when I was a child.  Like it was
  just what parents DO.  Some parents really bear down hard and behave like assholes around that subject.  >:(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
  Good for you.  Funny how "normal" that kind of power play seemed when I was a child.  Like it was
  just what parents DO.  Some parents really bear down hard and behave like assholes around that subject.  >:(

It may still be fairly common. Have witnessed it in other households, and even when having guests in our home. Meals should be calm and relaxing, and it's really annoying when people make it upsetting or awkward.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
Many years ago, worked with a woman who was complaining about her husband wanting to force their daughter to eat broccoli. He had read somewhere that if a child if forced to eat something every day for a week, then after that they wont mind it and will eat it without complaint, and he wanted her to serve broccoli with dinner for a week. Asked her if there's anything he doesn't like. She said no, he'll eat anything. Then she said, oh, he hates liver. Told her to tell him she would be serving liver and broccoli for a week. It was the end of that crap at her house too. :laugh:

:lol1:

I always hated the "children starving in Africa" line. I would be absolutely delighted to send them my leftovers. Could we?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
When I was a kid, at one point all I ate was garlic bread and cornflakes.
:dog:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
For me it was peanut butter sandwiches and spaghetti. Because they were orange.  :asthing:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
They look more of a beige colour to me. I love peanut butter. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...yummy.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »
Had a lot of stomach problems in childhood, so adults were probably satisfied with anything I kept down. The youngest was a picky eater as a toddler. Read that families who sit together and eat are less likely to have picky eaters. Realized with the kitchen table being bar height, he was in fact visually separated from our dining while seated in a highchair. Husband built a booster seat, and moving him to sit at the table with the rest of us made a big difference.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
Read that families who sit together and eat are less likely to have picky eaters.

That didn't work in my case.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
Read that families who sit together and eat are less likely to have picky eaters.

That didn't work in my case.
There's other things that help too, offering a wide variety of foods and not making meals a battle of will included. Though it makes sense for picky eating to be more common among autistics, as many may have texture or digestive issues.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
I used to *hate* the smell of rice, oven chips and eggs. I still hate the smell of fish and curry.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
I used to *hate* the smell of rice, oven chips and eggs. I still hate the smell of fish and curry.
Wouldn't touch rice until around age twelve, and didn't eat eggs from teen years until early thirties. Over the past couple of years, seafood of any type is losing its appeal. The seafood thing is particularly odd.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
Also stopped drinking milk at some point over the last few years; not sure exactly when or why that happened. It's not terrible; just never want it, except maybe once or twice per year.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Can't stand milk or eggs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 03:13:30 AM »
^Do you like yogurt?

I have milk to help soothe my indigestion sometimes.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae