Author Topic: any crud munchin lacto-rosco-pico-ovo-vulcan's in the house?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
any crud munchin lacto-rosco-pico-ovo-vulcan's in the house?
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
Urchin came home from school clutching the following form for me to complete.

It made me smirk.  I am tolerant of others, but i can't help but find the description for 'fruitarian' (last para) quite funny.  Are there really people worried about hurting vegetables?

I also found it amusing to imagine a six year old saying  "I'm a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian"  :zoinks:

Then my smirk turned to a frown when I realised parents must be forcing their kids to adopt their lifestyle choices.   It's a bit like forcing kids into religion.  I don't like it. 
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: any crud munchin lacto-rosco-pico-ovo-vulcan's in the house?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
Have met a few people who are vegetarian for ethical reasons who that view as children, with meat pushed at them anyway. Never forced the kids to eat anything they didn't like; that seems mean. Any diet offered a child could be viewed as a forced lifestyle choice. Don't see anything wrong with parents offering children the same diet as their own diet, as long as it's healthy. Wouldn't say a vegan diet is a forced lifestyle choice, nor would say offering eating animals is a forced lifestyle choice either.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:02:08 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
Interesting that most of the definition start off with the word I, except for the two which begin with, this person...

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
There's no entry for kosher. :GA:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
Not really being critical of vegan's or vegetarians,  it's just the unfortunate term 'lacto-ovo-vegetarian' - it sounds a gob full.

Not really for or against 'fruitarian's'.  If someone chooses that diet then fine.  It is probably the healthiest one.   I also think it is understandable for fruitarian parents to present fruitarian meals.   However this was about school and I think it would be better for
the child to be able to freely choose what he/she wants at school. 

I think the diet itself is too rigid to impose wholly on a child.  The Urchin's school take them to the cinema once a month and they visit McDonalds on the way back.  Now McDonalds do a few vegetarian options, and vegan too but they don't do much for a fruitarian.  They also do a lot of cooking in his school.  (why don't fruitarians cook anything - are they afraid it might scream)   Some kids do not cope well when they are treated differently in school.  Also what if a classmate has a barbeque in the summer and all the class are invited.  Little fruitarian johnny will be the one salivating in the corner with a pocket full of berries.  Sounds fun.   

Each to their own, and I wouldn't try to preach to other parents what to feed their kids.  I just personally think it's nuts.   :M
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »

There is no 'will eat anything' choice either. 

The urchin had some venison the other day at home (it was on offer in sainsbury's) and he really loved it, so I might add a note on the form for the chef to say he is partial to a bit of venison now and then  :asthing:
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
The definition of kosher is too complicated. :M

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »

Assumed the 'what I can eat' box would be used for that, and the 'what I cannot eat' box would be for specific allergies. The stuff at the bottom looks like for everything else, except kosher of course. :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:58:28 PM »
You're approaching Sweden when it comes to political correctness. We still have the upper hand but keep on doing what you do and you'll soon find that perfect houlier-than-thou attitude.

Yes, parents quite frequently force their diets on their kids, never realising that while an adult might want to cut down on something or the other, a child very frequently shouldn't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:59 AM »
My kids ate some meat when they were little. Especially the youngest loved it. I gave them fish, just wanted them to be able to eat anything, if they wanted that.

I ended up with two strict vegetarians, who almost gag, when I enjoy a meal with fish.  :hyke:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
Yes, parents quite frequently force their diets on their kids, never realising that while an adult might want to cut down on something or the other, a child very frequently shouldn't.
When it comes to actual force, it's probably more common to find old school clean plate clubbers who make them eat things they find repulsive or continue eating when they say they're full. Can't view a relaxed family gathering over healthy food to be forcing anything, regardless of what's served.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »
Urchin came home from school clutching the following form for me to complete.

It made me smirk.  I am tolerant of others, but i can't help but find the description for 'fruitarian' (last para) quite funny.  Are there really people worried about hurting vegetables?

I also found it amusing to imagine a six year old saying  "I'm a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian"  :zoinks:

Then my smirk turned to a frown when I realised parents must be forcing their kids to adopt their lifestyle choices.   It's a bit like forcing kids into religion.  I don't like it.

Ok, what the fuck is this for?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
That's the first time I've heard of fruitarian. Sounds like they lead very sheltered, non-violent lives.

Think that would have to be tough...how do you know if your produce came from an abusive relationship?

How does that even work with stuff like cabbage or lettuce...maybe they take off leaves? Now I'm going to have to look that up. :GA:

The urchin had some venison the other day at home (it was on offer in sainsbury's) and he really loved it, so I might add a note on the form for the chef to say he is partial to a bit of venison now and then  :asthing:

Bambi is quite yummy. :thumbup:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
That's the first time I've heard of fruitarian. Sounds like they lead very sheltered, non-violent lives.

Think that would have to be tough...how do you know if your produce came from an abusive relationship?

How does that even work with stuff like cabbage or lettuce...maybe they take off leaves? Now I'm going to have to look that up. :GA:

I read about it a few weeks ago. Could not help to find it cruel, they are eating baby plants. Seeds, never to feel the sun on their leaves, hazelnuts, never knowing the joy of breaking out of their own skin to grow and become a tree. Such a waste.
 :'(
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »
cereal killers  :zoinks:
blah blah blah