Author Topic: Calling all Weebulz...  (Read 7000 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Calling all Weebulz...
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2016, 04:01:41 AM »
Lateral thinkers tend to be more creative problem solvers. As a linear thinker, even if able to find a different route to a solution, the solution still doesn't seem right if the right route isn't taken. Ends are very dependent on the structure of the means.

I guess that's why math teachers giving tests tell students to "show [your] work."
   Or at least they did that in my day.  They wanted to see the process that led us to
   the answer so they knew we'd gotten it by correct use of what they'd taught us, not by luck.  :chores:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2016, 05:13:55 AM »
Lateral thinkers tend to be more creative problem solvers. As a linear thinker, even if able to find a different route to a solution, the solution still doesn't seem right if the right route isn't taken. Ends are very dependent on the structure of the means.

I guess that's why math teachers giving tests tell students to "show [your] work."
   Or at least they did that in my day.  They wanted to see the process that led us to
   the answer so they knew we'd gotten it by correct use of what they'd taught us, not by luck.  :chores:

Math does have an algorithm, so maybe not the best example. More like teachers who wants to see an outline created before writing a report or essay. Some people just don't function well with that type of planning structure.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
  I don't know if I'm necessarily a lateral thinker, and if so, I'm not necessarily the brightest.  :laugh:
   But I'm definitely not linear.  I relate to QV's saying her mind is like a pinball.  Mine is too.  :lemur:
   And I'm not a planner when I paint, either.  I start with a general subject, but at least at this point,
   I improvise my way along.  If I happen to get a visual effect I like, I follow that to see where it leads.

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »
I find that such a freakish, weird, inefficient,, POINTLESS way of thinking about something 'even if able to find a different route to solving a problem, the solution isn't right if the right route isn't taken'

WTF. What matters is that the solution is FOUND, at least, ignoing te likes of efficacy of the solution, how practical, costly, possible it is etc. But if a good solution is found to a problem then it should be used. So what if the route is whateverthestyx, if the solution works to end the problem, problem solved, and problem solved=obviously it was the right route. I really have never been able to understand those who insist on incluiding inefficiencies  in their thinking 'beacause thats the way its done' or 'thats just the way we do it' or 'things are just DONE that way here', adhering to protocol taken as dogma at the expense of practicality, efficacy and efficiency. Suitability. Things are plastic, fluid, dynamic, in that context, and thus people must have shifting, mouldable values, morals, solutions to problems, logic dictates thus. Hoary old dogmas rgat are no more than superstitious touchstones should be thrown out with the trash if being an impediment to progress.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
I find that such a freakish, weird, inefficient,, POINTLESS way of thinking about something 'even if able to find a different route to solving a problem, the solution isn't right if the right route isn't taken'

WTF. What matters is that the solution is FOUND, at least, ignoing te likes of efficacy of the solution, how practical, costly, possible it is etc. But if a good solution is found to a problem then it should be used. So what if the route is whateverthestyx, if the solution works to end the problem, problem solved, and problem solved=obviously it was the right route. I really have never been able to understand those who insist on incluiding inefficiencies  in their thinking 'beacause thats the way its done' or 'thats just the way we do it' or 'things are just DONE that way here', adhering to protocol taken as dogma at the expense of practicality, efficacy and efficiency. Suitability. Things are plastic, fluid, dynamic, in that context, and thus people must have shifting, mouldable values, morals, solutions to problems, logic dictates thus. Hoary old dogmas rgat are no more than superstitious touchstones should be thrown out with the trash if being an impediment to progress.

But Lestat, I quite often find the answer quicker than a "regular" thinker.  And the route is lovely and interesting. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2016, 11:53:13 AM »

Math does have an algorithm, so maybe not the best example. More like teachers who wants to see an outline created before writing a report or essay. Some people just don't function well with that type of planning structure.

Aaarrrccchhh, I hated writing things according to that kind of protocol. Some kept insisting on it. Then the only way to get through was doing it the other way around. Write the damned thing and then invent the structure I had allegedly used to write it.

My brother got F's all the time in primary school for math. Till my father talked to the teacher and had the head of the school attending too, because the teacher would not listen. The teacher saw every answer without the required way to get there as faulty. My brother had a different, quicker way. The head of the school started writing down sums way ahead of what my brother should be able to do. He could do them faultless, but without any one understanding how he did it. So, the sums were made even more complicated. Same result. From then on, the results of my brother were seen as correct. He went from an F to an A.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
Some things simply have a process, and decisions are made throughout that process which affect the solution. Was really thinking about my work, where the solution is often what I create it to be. Have been praised for conceptualizing and developing easier and more efficient ways to do my job but they are in fact shortcuts, and shortcuts don't really absolve me of considering the true process when auditing. In the realm of multi-layered solutions, the big picture solution can be the right answer while minute details within that solution can be incorrect incorrect because of the route taken. For a more relatable example, drive the same route to work everyday. If there is some circumstance which hinders that route, can certainly find a work around and end up at the same place. However, it doesn't change the sense of doing it wrong, and frankly messes up my day. :laugh:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »

Aaarrrccchhh, I hated writing things according to that kind of protocol. Some kept insisting on it. Then the only way to get through was doing it the other way around. Write the damned thing and then invent the structure I had allegedly used to write it.

Yes, some people do perform better allowing their thoughts to free flow, and then organizing them afterward.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »

Yes, some people do perform better allowing their thoughts to free flow, and then organizing them afterward.

When writing, I do follow a structure. But I could not follow that structure they wanted us to follow. It gave no room to exploration. Everything, including the outcomes of the literature research that had not been done yet, got a place in the structure. That made no sense to me. No sense at all.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2016, 05:09:00 AM »
  I'm absolutely not linear in my artwork.  Some of the best things that happen in my paintings (thus far, at least,
  with my relative lack of training), happen by accident.  I see potential in lines and shadows, the way many
  people see shapes in the clouds, and I will paint those little hints and shadows into bigger shapes.
  I enjoy the process, for now.  If I were technically skilled and could plan and execute a picture perfectly,
  instead of improvising it and watching it evolve by chance and turn on my whims, it wouldn't be ... fun.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
I'm a twisted thinker.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.