Educational

Author Topic: The cheap bastards thread!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: The cheap bastards thread!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
Every town is different on a lot of things around here it's somewhat of a pain in the ass.  We have a giant recycle bin that looks like yours but it's all dark green they pick up every two weeks and we provide our own garbage cans that they get picked up weekly.  Some towns don't have pick up at all and you have to arrange it with a private contractor or bring it yourself to the transfer stations.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
I would hate to have to take rubbish myself to a transfer station. We get our bins emptied as part of what we get through paying council rates every year. And the same as you, our recycling stuff gets picked up every two weeks, though I would like it to be every week because our recycling bin gets filled up quicker than our regular rubbish one.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »
Is there junk out all year round where you live, Icequeen?

Here we have a couple of weeks each year that I call Junk out the Front time. It looks pretty bad with piles of junk everywhere. Last time I put my old futon mattress out and the next day it was gone, someone must have picked it up. Once we got a reasonable computer chair, however, two years later it became part of the junk pile.

We have 2 different trash companies that do the hauling in the area, no set days for bulky pickup, so you never know what might be out. The college town just below has a clean up schedule for when the kids leave to help with the mess somewhat, and they have recycling, but anything goes really, if it's not in a recycle bin they won't recycle it, so it's fair game. No recycling here in my area.

No bins, trash cans, missing lids, most of it bagged and at the curb because they tend to leave the cans out in the road and run over the lids.  :LOL:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:32 AM »
It's different here per council too. Where I live, I have to bring the big stuff to the junk station. Pain in the arse indeed, because I have no car. So, once a year or so I  :eyelash: to my brother, and he will take it for me.
The stuff that can be recycled will be picked up by a thrift shop. The small things you can put outside for them, on set dates, that's when they pick up chemical waste too. For bigger things you call, and then they collect it, but, if they think it is not good enough, they will leave it, and you have to either take it back in, or get rid of it quickly. Leaving trash out in the streets can bring you a fine too soon.

We've got similar bins as Ren has. A grey one for rubbish, and a green one for everything that can be composted. Copmpanies have one with a blue lid for paper too. Other waste paper is collected by the local schools, they fund their school outings with that a bit. For glass we have glass containers. They are not as rewarding as they used to be, now that they are underground. When they were above the ground, the noise would be tremendous. Great way to get rid of a bad mood, getting rid of all the glass.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 01:33:41 AM »
We used to have bagged rubbish at the curb and the rubbish people used to have to pick it all up manually, they must have gotten pretty fit. It was switched to the automated system in 1989.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:22 AM »
When I was a kid, we had two of these per household.

They were used for a long time, and were really heavy to deal with for garbage men. Then there was the garbage bags. That was just gross, especially if the bags had been put out too early, and cats or wildlife had raided them over night. Now we have the containers like you have. Till a few years ago they were manually put at the back of the truck and then emptied via a leverage system. Now it is all done automatically.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
Notice the can toss maneuver. He didn't throw the lids far enough though.

They have them on a tight schedule around here, and I've seen days when it's one driving the truck and that's it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
Lids ha! mine are usually gone within a month or two and they will not allow cans with attached ones except for the recycle bin they provided
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 07:04:14 PM »
GF's daughter doesn't eat the hot dog buns.  I bring them home and accumulate a few in the freezer and make garlic bread.

Bring water from home in a Dasani bottle I got from a friend.

My GF brings me her coupons from the paper when she's cut out the ones she wants.

Shop the bent and dent section (when they have it) of the grocery store.

Buy men's shoes because they're wider and sturdier than women's shoes.

Put bubble wrap (picked up free here and there) in the windows to insulate them.

Once a week I take a soapless bath and shower.

etc. etc.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
  When there's leftover coffee at work at the end of the day, I bring it home in an empty juice bottle. :coffee:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »

Nope, I would question its heritage.  I have seen how hungover asswipes make coffee in the morning.

If I did not make the coffee myself then it is trash, simply.

:-\
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »

Nope, I would question its heritage.  I have seen how hungover asswipes make coffee in the morning.

It's OK, it is made in the afternoon by my fellow food service workers.  It tastes fine.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
I must admit that the cheapest form of entertainment I have found is this place.   :tickle:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »

It's OK, it is made in the afternoon by my fellow food service workers.  It tastes fine.  8)

You are lucky that you do not work at a Best Buy store.

Lucky you.

:clap:

IN contrast to the miserable fact that we do not have a coffee maker in our break room, I have been able to convince a few of the "mgts" (read as midgets or management, hats off to RAW) to "display"  a Kuerig single cup coffee maker to the public (in an actual attempt to sell more of this particular product, you see) to a great deal of satisfaction to all who enjoy coffee.

Every winter, it just seems like the thing to do. We sell appliances, so serve coffee to those who have lost appliances in winter.

I am still working on it for this year, but the rock is softening and the hard place is giving in! We will have coffee in a few days!  I just KNOW IT!!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »

You are lucky that you do not work at a Best Buy store.

Lucky you.

:clap:

IN contrast to the miserable fact that we do not have a coffee maker in our break room, I have been able to convince a few of the "mgts" (read as midgets or management, hats off to RAW) to "display"  a Kuerig single cup coffee maker to the public (in an actual attempt to sell more of this particular product, you see) to a great deal of satisfaction to all who enjoy coffee.

Every winter, it just seems like the thing to do. We sell appliances, so serve coffee to those who have lost appliances in winter.

I am still working on it for this year, but the rock is softening and the hard place is giving in! We will have coffee in a few days!  I just KNOW IT!!

Good coffee will make employers work better. It's an investment that is earned back very soon.