Author Topic: Post a Chemical Symbol for the person above you.  (Read 826 times)

duncvis

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post a Chemical Symbol for the person above you.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:28 PM »

potassium iodide
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »
Reviving this game for Lestat.

Fe.  Renaeden's cogs probably aren't iron, but it's what I think of when I think of awesome metal.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
I presume that big polymeric thing drawn was meant to depict the main cause of the STINK of shit? if so then it's wrong. The stinkers are small indolic species, indole itself smells somewhat shitty, skatole, 3-methylindole is the real guilty party though, and this is it:

QV....hmm...old fashioned...how about arsenic trioxide, the king of poisons, and poison of kings, as it has often been said. Otherwise...it'd have to be the element nobelium, because...well..it's fucking obvious.

The PR?.  Gallium, Ga, I'd say, if I had to make an analogy.

Low melting point (Ga melts in the hand, alloys with tin and indium, known as galinstan are used for some thermometers as a Hg replacement but they don't go nearly as low as Hg ones), but mercurial and beautiful, and unlike Hg, not poisonous. Or NaK alloy, similarly, a liquid metal, with explosive properties, yet very pretty to set eyes on.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
I was hoping for gold, but Michelin is better.  Note the autocorrect from nobelium.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
Hm....I guess I just look at things differently from most people in that respect. Sure, I'd not refuse a find or supply of the stuff, but pretty much one of the least useful elements on the periodic table, if you ask me for anything but decoration.

It's resistant to attack by many chemicals, so a thin electroplated layer on crucibles would be nice, if I'm to be using metal ones (I've crucibles in both ordinary steel, nickel, and carbon, depends what I'm doing with them as to what I use, but I do prefer the carbon ones overall, good hardness, excellent conductivity both thermally and electrically if they are to be connected up as the anode or cathode in an electrolytic cell of some sort, and they can tolerate both very strong acids and bases well, with the exception of really strong oxidizing acids like piranha solution, which oxidizes carbon to CO2, and they can take abuse no metal would, as well as being pretty non-stick, compared to metals, and they don't easily corrode)

Gold...ok, its got an unusual colour for a metal, and can be alloyed with other metals or semimetals like copper, arsenic, platinum group metals, for decorative purposes. Otherwise it's just a heavy, conductive lump that's hard to burn chemically.

And a minor value in certain medicines for rheumatism/arthritis, otherwise it only really has value because society has conspired to set it as a tie to promissory based currency.

Come to think about it, I don't think I've ever had any sort of soft spot for it. As far as jewellery goes, I've always gone for silver, I like the slightly warm yellow tone it has, and the patina on old silver items. Plus it's actually chemically useful too (such as testing for halide ions, as one can a small amount of test solution to a test tube for the assay, and then add silver nitrate, if fluoride, chloride, bromide or iodide are present, a displacement reaction takes place to form the nitrate salt of it's cation plus crashing out insoluble silver halide salts), and useful in some cyanide chemistry, the type of reaction which follows an umpolung type reaction pathway (where the normal polarity of such a reaction is inverted, with respect to electric charge located on atoms, given the difference in hard  vs soft nucleophilicity)

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.