Author Topic: America, fuck yeah!  (Read 23195 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: America, fuck yeah!
« Reply #600 on: March 13, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
No one here remembers Ethiopia.

But it was in the news!

In their news?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #601 on: March 13, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »
This is the kind of thing that makes the rest of the world laugh at you. But please carry on.

To Americans, the rest of the world is England and Ethiopia.  And they're half-right.

No one here remembers Ethiopia.

Bullshit. I buy their coffee regularly.

I also have a number of stamps and posted covers from my philatelic pursuits from several phases of Ethiopian regimes over the last century. All are quite rare. Some are even slightly valuable as stamps go.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
I've got to say, the best thing about being American is owning a 4x4 pickup truck.

This is the kind of thing that makes the rest of the world laugh at you. But please carry on.

So you share the same opinion of Jack, Dirt Dawg and Parts, right?? 

:pwned:

DO NOT include me as a negative example.
I used to own an '81, mechanical version of your modern beauty. I used it for hunting. Now THAT might be the best thing about being an American.
We can go out and bring fresh game to our tables (in some places).
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #603 on: March 13, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »

I was only pointing out the moral inconsistency of odeot.

I used to own an '81, mechanical version of your modern beauty.

That would be a 7th generation. Mine is a '94, 9th generation. They're basically the same truck with only cosmetic changes between the generations, there's a fair amount of parts interchangeability. Mine has electronic fuel injection and a computer controlled 4 speed overdrive automatic but it has a trusty old 351W and twin I beam suspension.

I used it for hunting. Now THAT might be the best thing about being an American.
We can go out and bring fresh game to our tables (in some places).

I'm going to go hunting in mine too. If I've got money to spare, I might even buy an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor to go hunting with! :tooledup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #604 on: March 13, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »
Ah. OK. Mine was basically unstoppable in horrid Texas red clay mud. Mine was a 351W as well.

Did not realize yours was twenty five years old. By "modern beauty" I was talking about one like the one I used for a week when I went to Texas to visit my mom when she had had a heart attack, last year.
My uncle was kind enough to loan me his loaded 2014 F150 4X4 to get around. It was a beauty. 5L, though, but probably more power than my old W had. With the six speed tranny, it sure felt like it.
And it road like a dream.

I thought you were building up a round for, if memory serves, 335-06 for dutifully taking an elk at some point.  Is that still in the works?
The AR-10 is a median level toy? Boars? Small deer?
I have taken several small deer with my Ranch Rifle in .223. Suppose 6.5mm would work even better. The key with small caliber is shot placement, as you know.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #605 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
My uncle was kind enough to loan me his loaded 2014 F150 4X4 to get around. It was a beauty. 5L, though, but probably more power than my old W had. With the six speed tranny, it sure felt like it.

The newer engines do have more HP but they need to wind up to higher RPM's hence the 6 speed tranny. That's why I bought a 9th gen with the 351W, I can build an engine with a stroker kit (you can build a Windsor engine to 427c.i.) so I can make the same torque numbers at lower RPM's.

And it road like a dream.

That's because after the 9th generation, they quit making the twin I bean suspension and went to twin A-arm which handles better on the road while sacrificing off road performance. I wanted the twin I beam to handle the snow and mountain fire roads here.

I thought you were building up a round for, if memory serves, 335-06 for dutifully taking an elk at some point.  Is that still in the works?

Yes, the gun is built, I bought a .338-06 barrel for my TC Encore from Match Grade Machine Co. and I have brass, bullets and powder. I'm just waiting on the Ackley Improved chamber reamers and custom dies from Redding.

The AR-10 is a median level toy? Boars? Small deer?

The AR-10 platform is .308 based and the 6.5 Creedmoor is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5x55. It can take anything that lives here including elk.

I have taken several small deer with my Ranch Rifle in .223. Suppose 6.5mm would work even better. The key with small caliber is shot placement, as you know.

Yes. The 6.5 can be loaded with 160gr bullets which have been used to take down elephant with a shot to the base of the spinal chord. That's what makes the 6.5 so potent, light bullets can take small game and heavy bullets can take down the largest of animals if the person pulling the trigger knows what they are doing.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #606 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »

I was only pointing out the moral inconsistency of odeot.

Indirectly, you were putting words in their mouths. They may or may not agree with you, but you're the one making the assumption.

Look, I understand that 4x4 trucks can be fun but I would never define my national pride on something like that. That's just stupid.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #607 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »
We based it on the pound. And I'm glad we did.

(Cue people calling me a right-wing fuck face.)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #608 on: March 14, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
Eh?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #609 on: March 14, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #610 on: March 14, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
Look, I understand that 4x4 trucks can be fun but I would never define my national pride on something like that. That's just stupid.

Now you're the one putting word in my mouth, I never said that.

It's just a fringe benefit of living in the US that full sized 4x4 trucks are ubiquitous and affordable. No other country besides Canada can say the same AFAIK.

And it's not that 4x4 trucks are fun, it's that they can conquer any task you throw at them in a way that's empowering , that is what makes them great.

Can you drive through 3 feet of unplowed snow in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you haul 5 passengers in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you go to the lumber store and pick up 1,000 lbs of building materials in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you drive on unmaintained dirt fire roads in the mountains in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you mount an 10,000lb electric winch on the front bumper of your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you tow a boat in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you tow a car trailer in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you go camping in the wilderness in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??
Can you wage a war against a zombie outbreak in your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagg??

Your choice of vehicle speaks volumes of who you are, a narcissist living in an ivory tower who is completely unable to handle any hardship. Mine is a vehicle that can handle any hardship. You do the math.

[mic drop]

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #612 on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »
First of all:

I've got to say, the best thing about being American is owning a 4x4 pickup truck.

Explain what this is, if not national pride.

Second, no to all of your questions. The Jag was never intended for any of it.

Your vehicle is fine, Scrap. If you feel you need a vehicle for all of the things you listed, good for you. Your denial of what you said, OTOH, is not, and neither is your utterly pointless commentary on the Jag. It's why you remain an idiot and an embarrassment. :wanker:

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #613 on: March 15, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
(This is where Scrap either comes up with some convoluted, um, *interpretation* of what he said, or attacks me, the Jag or something else equally pointless again.)

:popcorn:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #614 on: March 15, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
The reality is that the vast majority of people with big, gas guzzling 4x4s where I live don't need them at all. In 5 years of having ours there has never been a situation where we've thought "that ground clearance/four wheel drive really came in handy". There's been a couple of times where we've been able to pick up furniture or a BBQ that never would have fit in the boot/trunk of the 2nd car, my 3 cylinder beast, but we could have hired a van.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass