Author Topic: When is the wearing of a 'burka' innopropriate ?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: When is the wearing of a 'burka' innopropriate ?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 05:19:02 AM »
Changing your body language is extremely difficult as much of it is subconscious so it could be a diffident advantage for the person wearing one.

It's not easy, but it can still be done.  I would say that if the jury has to rely on its own perception of body language to determine if someone is lying, then opposing council is not doing its job.  The point of a cross-examination is to demonstrate a person's honesty, or at the very least the correctness of their previous testimony.  It's not the job of the jury, but of the lawyers arguing the case. 

Even when people have completely normal perception, their experience of another person's body language is still subjective, and I would want the adversarial system to rely on more objective phenomena.

The point of cross-examination is to discredit the opponent's witnesses.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
What about someone in a burka wearing dark sunglasses?  8)

:zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
So let me get this straight. Burkas won't be allowed in some places because "they're creepy". Is that really whats being said in here? :o
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
Changing your body language is extremely difficult as much of it is subconscious so it could be a diffident advantage for the person wearing one.

It's not easy, but it can still be done.  I would say that if the jury has to rely on its own perception of body language to determine if someone is lying, then opposing council is not doing its job.  The point of a cross-examination is to demonstrate a person's honesty, or at the very least the correctness of their previous testimony.  It's not the job of the jury, but of the lawyers arguing the case. 

Even when people have completely normal perception, their experience of another person's body language is still subjective, and I would want the adversarial system to rely on more objective phenomena.

Same difference.  They succeed or they fail.  The point is different members of the judicial system have different jobs.  Considering that members of the jury will not always even have good perception of body language, evaluating it would be the job of an expert witness called by legal council, with the permission of the judge. 

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
So let me get this straight. Burkas won't be allowed in some places because "they're creepy". Is that really whats being said in here? :o

Is this directed at me? If so, then no, just said I think they're creepy. Can't really think of any grounds to disallow them.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »

Same difference.  They succeed or they fail.  The point is different members of the judicial system have different jobs.  Considering that members of the jury will not always even have good perception of body language, evaluating it would be the job of an expert witness called by legal council, with the permission of the judge.

I think you're universally applying aspie standards to a mixed aspie/NT world. I would think that a case that's easy to decide would be settled out of court, to avoid the expense of litigation. The job of the jury is to evaluate the evidence to find the truth of a case. Any expert witness you call in to interpret body language would be doing the jury's job.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »

I think you're universally applying aspie standards to a mixed aspie/NT world. I would think that a case that's easy to decide would be settled out of court, to avoid the expense of litigation. The job of the jury is to evaluate the evidence to find the truth of a case. Any expert witness you call in to interpret body language would be doing the jury's job.

I'm bringing up universal human weaknesses.  Even non-autistics misjudge each other and get lied to and get fooled.  It's possible that you might get lucky and end up with a jury made up of body language savants, from whom no deception can be disguised, and to whom the truth will always shine, but more likely you will not.  Hell, part of preparing a witness to testify is coaching on performance.  "Don't touch your hair at the end of that particular sentence, it makes you look like a liar."  That is why you have cross examinations and expert witnesses in the first place. 

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
They should just make everyone in the courtroom be naked.  :2thumbsup:

Naked and wearing sunglasses.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »

Is this directed at me? If so, then no, just said I think they're creepy. Can't really think of any grounds to disallow them.

I was speaking generally, but yes. There is no factual reason to abuse these people.
I will never stop...

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »

Doesn't matter to me.
Just thinking how hot and uncomfortable that has to be.

I would be dying.  :zombiefuck:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
I'd be ok-ish with them staying legal, if only they could be made mandatory for a few select individuals, under pain of death by slow torture.

Namely cherie blair, angela merkel, one of my next door neighbors to name a couple :P
Ban the burka generally IMO, it is not contributing to the good of anything, or anyone despite how they might think so due to religious psychological conditioning/brainwashing and make it mandatory for any ugly people going out in public.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »

Didn't Trigger post a few years ago about not being allowed to wear sunglasses in court? Or at least having a very hard time getting that allowed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
I guess if you're a teacher or a doctor (unless you are only dealing with other muslim patients who actually want that (?)

I dunno.

Teachers shouldn't be allowed to though

As for court,  dunno. The thing that does bother me is the double standards though. You can't cover your face in here UNLESS IT'S FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS

You can't kill animals in inhumane ways UNLESS IT'S FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS

You can't fuck about with your kids' genitals UNLESS IT'S FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS

Ffs, Either something is wrong or it's not.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
You can't fuck about with your kids' genitals UNLESS IT'S FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS
That one always brings my blood to a boil. I don't like torturing animals either, but cutting off pieces of your own children when they are babies? That is purely widespread mental illness.
I will never stop...

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
:agreed: